Unknown Soulmates (Pirate!Roose Bolton x Pirate!reader)

(Obviously a pirate and soulmate au)

In a sea full of pirate crews, you had but one rival. Captain Roose Bolton. He was as ruthless as you were, although he was a little more cunning about it. You tended to dive in head first, not caring about the consequences as long as you and most of your crew stayed alive, and you got what you were looking for. The two of you couldn't have been more different in behavior, but couldn't have been more alike in your quest for treasures. Because of that, it seemed the two of you would never get along. Until the one day you had no choice.

"Captain, it's the Royal Navy. Jaime Lannister is at the helm!" You cursed and jumped to take the helm. "Captain, they're coming up fast." You groaned loudly. This was not shaping up to be a very good day. At all. You had already outrun Roose, now you had to outrun the Royal Navy. "How long?" You asked. Before your crewman could answer, the sound of cannon fire echoed across the otherwise empty ocean. "Damn. That answers that."

You tried your hardest to outrun them. You fought back with everything you had. The truth of the matter was that you were simply outgunned. Your men fought long and hard, but in the end, you failed. Your ship when down with you on it. Now you were grasping onto a piece of driftwood, floating along the seemingly endless sea with the few members of your crew that had survived. "What do we do now, Captain?"

How were you supposed to answer that? Land was miles away, much too far to try and swim. The chances were high that you were all going to die out there. But you couldn't appear weak in front of your crew. They would never respect you again and what was a captain, especially a pirate captain, without respect? Luckily, you were saved from answering by the one person you hated more than anyone except perhaps the entire Royal Navy.

"So, it appears the rumors were true after all. The great Captain Y/F/N, finally struck down by the king's navy." You glared up at him. "Did you come to gloat, Roose, or have you come to help?" Roose smirked before yelling out to his crew, "Go fishing, lads." A moment later, you felt yourself being hauled up onto The Flayed Man, Roose's ship.

You glared at Roose when his crew unceremoniously dropped you down on the deck. "A thank you would suffice," he muttered. You scoffed. "Had I not been trying to outrun you, I wouldn't have run into the Royal Navy in the first place. That treasure was mine. You came and swiped it right out from under my nose." Roose chuckled deeply. "We're pirates, Y/N. It's what we do." You rolled your eyes before turning away from him. You couldn't stand to look at his smug face anymore.

If you were honest, you'd admit to yourself that there was something about Roose that had always attracted you as well as infuriated you. You couldn't place it and you'd never tell him in a million years. Maybe it was the fact that he was just as ruthless and seemingly uncaring as you were. Or maybe it was the fact that he irritated you to no end. You didn't know. What you did know was that every time you saw him, you wanted to either knock that smirk off his face or kiss him until he couldn't think straight. Now, being in such close proximity, wasn't making the decision any easier.

Roose hadn't said anything, much to your surprise. You turned and saw him staring. His gaze was fixed on the lower part of your body. You felt your face heat up. "WHAT?!" you yelled, making him jump slightly. He brought his blue eyes up to meet yours. There was something in that gaze you hadn't seen before. A sort of longing, like someone who had been looking for something for years and had just found it. Or like someone who wanted something they knew they couldn't have.

Instead of answering, Roose stuck out his arm slightly and began to roll up his sleeve. On the inside of his forearm, just below his elbow, was a mark. You could hardly see it in the rapidly darkening light so you took a step closer. When you were close enough to see, you let out a barely audible gasp. It couldn't be. Not him. Roose Bolton couldn't be your soulmate.

And yet, there was the proof on his arm. Your own hand went to the small of your back, where your own mark rested. The mark that matched his. The one that you had almost forgotten about. Its placement on your back meant you didn't have to look at it every day. You didn't feel the pressure most people did that came with trying to find your soulmate. Instead, he had found you. All because your shirt was wet and now see-through.

"Well, this is an interesting turn of events." You crossed your arms over your chest. "I don't see what's so amusing, Roose. I couldn't think of two people less suited for each other than the two of us." Roose shrugged nonchalantly. "Oh, I can. Still, the fact remains that you and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things." You snorted out a sharp laugh.

"That's the understatement of the century," you said. Roose didn't look pleased by your response. He clearly didn't appreciate your sass at that point. "Maybe we can change that." You arched a brow and he continued, "Your ship is at the bottom of the ocean, Y/N. Your crew is down to only a few men. Join me. Together, we shall be the most fearsome pirate crew in all the seas. We shall strike fear into the hearts of anyone who crosses us, including the Royal Navy. We shall find the rarest treasures in all the world and share them."

His offer did sound promising, you had to admit. But you couldn't go from hating the man to being his partner in the span of one day, even if you were very attracted to him. As if reading your mind, Roose spoke again, "I am not asking you to change. Hate me if you wish. But I am asking you to at least try something new. That's what being a pirate is all about. Taking risks and doing the unexpected." You felt your lips upturn into a smile.

"My dear Captain Bolton, I believe we have an accord." The electricity crackled between the two of you threatening to start a fire. Without waiting for a response, you pulled him closer and crashed your lips onto his. The crew immediately set to cheering. "FINALLY! I thought the tension between the two would kill us all!" You pulled back to glare at your crewman. He blushed and said, "Sorry, Captain." Roose pulled you in for another passion-filled kissed.