Childhood Sweethearts (Rickon Stark x fem!reader)

Rickon stared in disbelief. When had you become some beautiful? So lively? So charming? Rickon wasn't sure, but he did know one thing. He didn't like it. He didn't like that you now had the attention of half the boys in Winterfell. The two of you had been friends since you were children, nearly inseparable, but when Theon had come to sack Winterfell, Rickon had run. He hid out for years. Now he was back.

After his return, Rickon had gone to find you. It was like you'd been waiting for him. You ran to him and hugged him close, telling him how much you'd missed him. It was then that Rickon noticed just how beautiful you were. It didn't matter to him that you were only a baker's daughter and not a lady. What he found even more intriguing was that you still maintained a little bit of you the jovial attitude you had as a child despite everything that had happened. But, you were his best friend and there was no way he was going to tell you that.

Then, the fateful day came when Rickon, the youngest Stark, would tell you exactly how he felt and it came in a way neither one of you expected.

You were in the courtyard at Winterfell, waiting for Rickon, when another boy approached you. He was about your age, tall and lanky. "Hello, Y/N. I was wondering if you would join me for a stroll?" You smiled at him but shook your head. "No, thank you. I am waiting for my friend." The boy's smile fell. "I see. Perhaps another time?" You laughed and nodded. "Perhaps."

Across the courtyard, Rickon glared. His arms were crossed over his chest. He watched you laugh with the boy and, without a second thought, Rickon knew he was jealous. He couldn't believe the feelings he'd developed for you and now that he acknowledged them, there was no turning back. And there was no way he was going to let this boy get in the way.

Rickon stomped over to where the two of you were and cleared his throat. "Rickon!" you greeted with a smile, but Rickon didn't return it. His gaze was fixed on the boy next to you. Feeling the tension between them, you excused yourself.

As soon as you were out of sight, Rickon spoke. "What right do you have to Y/N's affections?" The boy quirked a brow. "What right do you? Young Lord Stark, with all due respect, you have had years of time with Y/N. She has been your friend for a long time and you are only now showing any spark of feeling toward her. If you wish to challenge me for her affection, be my guest."

Rickon didn't know where the young boy got his nerve, but he wasn't about to go down without a fight. "Very well. I challenge you to a duel for Y/N's affections." The boy nodded and grabbed a wooden sword. "We shall use practice blades. I would hate to deprive Winterfell of another Stark. And it would not improve my standing in Y/N's eyes should I actually kill you." Rickon's expression hardened again before he grabbed his own practice sword and the duel began.

The two had barely been at it for five minutes when you reappeared. Your jaw dropped in shock at the sight. A small group, including Arya, had gathered around. You walked over to Arya and whispered, "What's going on?" Arya shrugged. "I'm not certain, but Rickon is getting soundly beaten." You frowned and looked. Sure enough, Rickon was losing. You could already see a bruise forming on his jaw.

"Stop!" you cried, causing both boys to freeze. You entered the practice ring and walked right over to Rickon. "Are you alright? What in the world was that about?" Your voice was barely above a whisper. "I'm fine!" he shouted and pushed passed you without another word. You crossed your arms and glanced back at the boy and the small crowd. "Do you not have anything better to do?" you snapped at the crowd.

They all left and you directed your next question to the boy. "Would you care to tell me what that was about?" He shook his head. "You should speak to young Lord Stark." He gave a little wave and left. You huffed and went to find Rickon again. It didn't take you long to find him. He was in the spot he always went to when he was upset.

"Rickon?" He sniffled, but didn't say anything. You put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Please, Rickon. Tell me what's going on?" Rickon sighed and looked at you. You could see the unshed tears in his eyes. "Oh, Rickon." His eyes narrowed. "I don't need pity, Y/N." You scoffed loudly. "This isn't pity. It is me trying to comfort the boy who is supposed to be my best friend."

Rickon's shoulders slouched. "Alright. We were fighting for you." You cocked your head to the side. "Me?" Rickon nodded. "I know I shouldn't,you're my best friend, but I love you, Y/N." You smiled and brought a hand up to his face. "Why didn't you say? I love you too, Rickon." You kissed his cheek and his mouth dropped open. "You do?" You giggled and ruffled his curly auburn locks. "Of course I do, silly. Now, I believe we had a ride planned for today?" Rickon's lips turned up in a grin before he grabbed your hand and lead you down to the stables.�:��p�)