A Christmas Disaster (Jaime Lannister x fem!Stark reader) Modern AU

This was a disaster. Not at all what you expected to happen when you brought your boyfriend home for Christmas with you. It was awful. At least Sansa and your parents were pretending to try and include Jaime in the festivities. Your brothers and Arya, however, weren't. They either gave him scathing or biting comments or they pretended like he wasn't even in the room. It hurt Jaime, but it wouldn't let them see that. You, on the other hand, had no problem letting them see that you were upset.

You had met Jaime during one of your many study sessions in a coffee shop near your university where you were studying architecture. He had come in with his laptop, intent on studying himself, but there were no empty tables. He spotted your table and asked to join you, promising to be quiet and let you work. You agreed and while you worked, the two of you somehow managed to end up talking to one another. From there, a romance bloomed.

That lead you to where you were now. You and Jaime had been together for nearly two years, but this year, Jaime's was on the outs with his family and wouldn't go home for the holidays. You didn't want him to be alone, so you invited him to go with you. You didn't realize how big a mistake that would turn out to be.

From the moment the two of you arrived, your family had not taken to Jaime like you'd hoped. Apparently it didn't matter how you felt about each other. Jaime was a Lannister and that was all that mattered to them. Robb was the worst. He didn't even try to hide his disdain of your boyfriend. It made things tense between you and the rest of your family. And it all came to a head during Christmas dinner.

Robb was glaring daggers at Jaime. Jaime refused to back down. He knew if he did, your family would consider him a coward and therefore, not good enough for you. "Will you just stop, Robb?!" you finally barked. That earned you a sharp reprimand from your mother about yelling at the table. It wasn't ladylike. You glared at her and she turned to Robb. "Robb, let Jaime eat in peace."

"Why? His family hasn't left us in peace for years? Why should I give him a courtesy they have never extended to us?" You frowned. "Seriously? That's what this is about? Some stupid feud that really ended years ago when Tywin died? Let it go, Robb. It's not like they actually hurt you and Dad has built the business back up anyway. Leave Jaime alone. I didn't bring him here for this kind of treatment."

"Then why did you bring him? His family doesn't even want him around. Why should I kiss his arse?" Jaime sat there silently with a clenched fist. Your mother snapped at Robb about his language, but he ignored her. "He's not good enough for you, Y/N. He never will be." You opened your mouth to protest, but Jaime finally stood. His chair almost fell over with the force of his movement. The room fell silent.

He looked at around the room. Jaime excused himself and left the room. You glared at Robb vehemently. "How could you?" Robb let out a huff. "He's a Lannister." You slowly stood and moved to stand toe-to-toe with your brother. "I didn't bring Jaime here for your approval, Robb. I brought him here because I love him and he loves me and I wanted to spend the holidays with him. So to hell with you and superiority complex!"

You turned and stormed out of the room, ignoring your parents' cries of your name. You went in search of Jaime. You hoped he hadn't chosen to leave. You only hoped you could undo the damage done by your family. What if Jaime changed his mind about your relationship because of your family's attitude toward him? You couldn't stand the thought.

After searching the room you were sharing as well as the rest of the house, you moved outside. You found Jaime in the yard, staring up at the withered, white tree that had always been there. "J-Jaime?" you called, your voice shaking with the cold. He glanced at you with a sad smile. "Your family hates me." You shrugged. "I don't think it's you, so much. Maybe just your family." Jaime's lips drooped into a frown.

"But I don't care what they think," you continued on, "They can't change how I feel about you. We don't need their blessing." You reached up to cup his cheek. "I know, Y/N, but it makes this so much harder." You were confused until Jaime dropped to one knee in the snow. "Jaime?" The man looked nervous. You'd never seen him look like that before.

"The main reason I agreed to come with you was to ask your parents' blessing, but I can see I won't get it." He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a small box. "I planned to ask you after we got back. I think now's a better time though. Y/N Stark, will you marry me?" You didn't hesitate a moment before answering, "Yes!" You launched yourself at him, knocking you both down into the snow.

Jaime chuckled. "You almost made me drop the ring." You hovered over him and pressed a kiss to his lips. Jaime slipped the ring on your finger and kissed you again. "Merry Christmas, Y/N," he whispered.