Failed Proposal...Times Three (Jaime Lannister x fem!reader) Modern AU

You groaned as you hung up again. Why was Jaime avoiding you? Come to think of it, he had been acting strange for a while now. Had you done something? Had he found someone else and didn't know how to tell you? You'd had that happen with your boyfriends in the past. Should you break up with him and just end your confusion and his torment? You flopped down on your bed and sighed. Grabbing your phone, you called Tyrion. Maybe he'd be able to help.

Tyrion glanced at his phone before looking up at his brother. "It's your girlfriend. You really should stop ignoring her," he said then answered the phone. "Hello, Y/N...I do know what's going on with Jaime...I can't tell you...No he's not, I promise...Yes I will talk to him." Tyrion hung up and looked at his brother again.

"Y/N thinks you've found someone else. You need to talk to her. Make it right." Jaime groaned and shook his head. "How?" Jaime asked, fishing the box out of his pocket and opening it. The gold engagement ring with a diamond and rubies glittered from its perch. "I can't even propose right," he grumbled as he stared at the ring.

*flashback*

Jaime was nervous. He couldn't remember a time when he'd been more nervous. The two of you had been together for a while now and Jaime just knew the time was right. It was time to ask you to marry him. He planned everything out to perfection, had talked to your parents, and bought the ring. Today was the day.

You walked in with a bright smile. You sat down across the table from Jaime, who was beginning to sweat. Dinner went off without a hitch, but just as Jaime was about to pull the ring out and ask, cheers erupted in the restaurant. He glanced over and saw another man on one knee with ring in hand. Jaime bit back a groan. Failed proposal one.

A couple weeks later, Jaime decided to take you skating in your favorite park. He would propose as the sun was setting. It would be perfect. Then, disaster. Just as Jaime was about to grab the box, he lost his footing and fell. He landed hard on his arm, breaking it. Your date ended with you rushing your boyfriend to the hospital. Failed proposal two.

The next time Jaime made an attempt was when you were looking after the younger Stark children. Jaime had come into your home with some pizza and kids movies. This time, he was going to keep it simple. He was just going to ask you while the kids were engrossed in a movie. The kids got situated in the living room and Jaime took a deep breath. It was time. He walked into the living room, ready to ask when young Rickon came over to him. "I don't feel good," the boy just before spilling the contents of his stomach all over Jaime. Failed proposal three.

*end*

"You see? I've been trying to propose for months now. Maybe it's a sign that we aren't meant to be married. Maybe I'm not good enough for her. Why would she even want to marry me? I'm an amputee with a prosthetic hand who can't get a damn proposal out of his mouth." Tyrion rolled his eyes.

"Y/N loves you, Jaime. She's worried that you don't love her anymore. You need to just ask her. She'll say yes." Jaime looked at his brother. "How do you know?" Tyrion scoffed and replied, "Because I do. You're my brother and she's my best friend. Just get over there and make this right before you lose her."

Jaime nodded and got up from his seat. Tyrion was right and Jaime definitely didn't want to lose you. He left Tyrion's apartment and hurried over to yours. Without knocking, Jaime burst through the door. He heard your sniffles and followed the sound to your bedroom. You were laying on your bed, curled around your pillow.

"How about you give the pillow a break? I think I make a better teddy bear than it does," Jaime said softly. You gasped quietly and tried to dry your tears. "Jaime..." He came over and sat down on the bed. He took in your red eyes and sighed. "Oh, Y/N." He pulled you to him and laid down so your head was on his chest. "What did I do?" you asked through your sobs.

"You didn't do anything, love. I promise." You sniffled again. "Then why have you been avoiding me? I'm your girlfriend." Jaime hugged you a little closer. "Because I've been trying to propose for months and it hasn't been working out. I just didn't think you'd want to marry me." You blinked up at him. "You were trying to propose?"

Jaime nodded and reached into his pocket. He set the ring box on his stomach within your reach. You didn't even look at it before you sat up and looked down at him. "I love you, Jaime Lannister. Of course I want to marry you, if you still intend on proposing." Jaime's grin was nothing short of beautiful. "Of course I do. Will you marry me?" he asked. "Yes." Only then did you open the box.

You slid the ring onto your finger and leaned down to kiss Jaime. Then, you snuggled back down, your head on his chest once again. Jaime sighed in content as he held you close. "You know, that saying is wrong." You looked back up at him in confusion. "The third time isn't the charm. The fourth time is." You giggled and kissed him again.