Surprise Agreement(Sandor Clegane x fem!Stark reader)

The Lannisters were not known for surrendering. Yet, they had agreed to your brother Robb's terms and let you go. That surprised you. What surprised you even more was the fact that Joffrey's sworn shield, Sandor Clegane, offered to return you to the North where your brother was waiting. You were a little frightened. Not because you thought he'd hurt you, of course. He'd never shown any signs of wanting to do that. But because you weren't certain if it was a Lannister trick. Still, you knew you would need a guard to get back to the North safely.

"Why did you offer to take me home, Ser?" you asked him one day during your journey. You were missing Sansa and asking Sandor questions helped keep your mind off it. "I'm no knight, so don't call me that. As for why I offered ta bring ya home, I needed ta get out of that place." You nodded, but didn't reply. The two of you had been traveling to together for a few weeks now so you knew not to press certain issues. Once Sandor gave you an answer, that was it.

However, as weeks went on, you found yourself talking more and more. You got to know Sandor slowly but surely and you weren't disappointed. By the time you reached Winterfell, you knew him better than probably anyone. You felt close to him. You found it easy to talk to him, even about your deepest desires and dreams, although you were certain he really didn't care. Still, you would definitely go as far as to call him a friend and you'd be sad to see him leave.

You reached Winterfell sooner than you expected, probably due to Sandor's company. "Hodor!" You grinned at the giant of a man. "Hodor! It's good to see you old friend." He looked down sheepishly. "Hodor." You laughed. "I know. It's been too long." You and Sandor dismounted your horses, handing the reins to Hodor. "Hodor, is Robb inside?" Hodor nodded before walking away.

"Ya understand him?" You assured him that you did. "Hodor has been with us since before I was born. It took time, but I understand almost everything he says. Come on!" Without thinking, you grabbed Sandor's hand and pulled him inside the castle. Sandor followed behind silently, shocked at the fact that you had touched him willingly. He let you lead him to the great room in the castle where your brother was seated behind a large table.

"Robb!" you squealed as soon as the doors opened. You dropped Sandor's hand and ran toward your brother. Robb stood and opened his arms to you. "Y/N!" He hugged you close for a moment before his eyes found Sandor. "Did he bring you home?" he asked you quietly. You nodded. "He did. Please, Robb, be kind. He never hurt me. Never laid a finger on me. He offered to bring me home." Robb nodded and let you go.

"You are welcome in Winterfell, Sandor Clegane." You wanted to roll your eyes at him. He was trying too hard to be "lordly". "I think the two of you should rest now. Tonight, we shall have a small feast to celebrate your return." You smiled at him and made your way to your room. Sandor was shown to his and got himself cleaned up before returning to Robb.

"What can I do for you?" Sandor opened his mouth to reply, but couldn't find the words. Robb smirked and asked, "How can I reward you for bringing my sister home?" Sandor shook his head. "I don't need a reward. Just a job. A place in your guard or whatever lets me kill somethin'." Robb stood in shock. "You wish to pledge allegiance to me? To Winterfell?" Sandor nodded. "Why?" Sandor shrugged. "'M not goin' back to the Keep." Robb ran his hand over his beard in consideration.

"Very well. I thank you for your honesty and pledge. What can I offer you in return?" Once more, Sandor shook his head. "I told ya. I don't need or want a reward. Just don't send me back." Robb readily agreed and Sandor left the room just as you entered.

"Y/N, did you know that the Hound would bend the knee to me when you arrived?" Your brows furrowed in confusion, indicating that you had no idea. "And what did you give him in return for his allegiance?" Robb looked flabbergasted still when he responded, "Nothing. He said he would take no reward. Only asked that I not send him back to King's Landing." You sat down and pondered why Sandor switched his allegiance.

You wondered about it for the rest of the day until your curiosity couldn't take it anymore. That night, after the feast, you made your way to Sandor's chambers. You hesitantly knocked on the door, not wanting to wake him if he'd passed out in a drunken stupor. You breathed a sigh mixed with relief and nervousness when a raspy voice called out, "Yeah?"

You slowly opened the door to see Sandor sitting on the edge of his bed with a goblet of wine in one hand. "Shouldn't ya be down there, battin' your pretty eyelashes and singin' songs for the fancy lords?" You chuckled. "The fancy lords have all retired for the evening. I wanted to see you." Sandor quirked a brow. "Now why would ya want ta do a thing like that?" You shrugged and let silence settle over the room.

"So," you began after a few minutes, making Sandor glance at you, "My brother told me something interesting." Sandor didn't reply. "He told me that you pledged allegiance to him. With no reward." Sandor nodded. "Aye. What's it ta ya?" You took a step toward him. "I want to know why. It's not like you."

"Maybe I've changed." You rolled your eyes and snorted. "Now that I have noticed. However, I don't think that's the reason. So, why?" Sandor took a sip of his wine, refusing to answer. "You've been with me long enough to know that I'm not going to give up until I find out what I want to know." He took another sip of wine, his brown eyes locking with your Stark grey ones. "You're a stubborn one, ya are." You grinned. "I know."

More silence followed and you could tell he was thinking. You didn't know if he was thinking of how he was going to word his answer, or if he was trying to think of a lie. "So?" Sandor groaned loudly before he set his cup down and stood. "I don't want no fancy castle or anything like that." You cocked your head to the side. "What do you want then, Sandor?"

He gingerly reached over and pushed a strand of hair from your face. "I want ta spend time with ya. Ta see ya smilin' at me like ya did on our journey. Ta protect ya. That's what I want." He'd never spoken so much at one time and you felt the tears welling up in your eyes. "Why me?" He shrugged. "Ya don't look at me like I'm a monster, not matter what I've done."

You reached over and put a hand on his scarred cheek. "I could never look at you that way." Sandor swallowed thickly at your closeness. "I...think I love you, Sandor." Sandor scoffed and removed your hand from his cheek. "No ya don't, girl. Ya would be stupid ta." You laughed softly. "Then I'm stupid. And I can see that you feel something for me too." You put your hand back on his cheek and leaned in to press your lips to his in a soft kiss.

For a brief moment, Sandor just sat there stiffly. Then, as if something inside him clicked, Sandor began to kiss back. His hands moved your hips and yours wrapped around his neck. When you broke apart, you looked into his eyes and sighed happily. "I love you, Sandor." He grunted in response, but you knew exactly what he was trying to tell you. 

(a/n: I will be posting the Prologue of "Affairs of the Heart" later today!!! I've finished the first two chapters and started on the third.)