Shy Soulmate (Yara Greyjoy x reader) Soulmate AU

Women from the Iron Islands weren't shy. You learned that very quickly after you met Yara. She was loud and always spoke her mind, no matter what. She didn't waste any time when she saw an opportunity. She saw what she wanted and went for it. Nope, not shy at all. You, however, were.

You were with Daenerys when Yara entered the Pyramid and offered an alliance. You didn't speak, but observed everyone closely. That was how you knew. That was how you saw the mark on Yara's neck. The one with your name in elegant script. Your hand went immediately up to your own neck where her name was. Yara Greyjoy. It was a name you'd been seeing all your life. But you didn't expect your soulmate to be quite so reckless and out there.

Yara's gaze traveled to you after the alliance was made with your queen. She regarded you for a moment, making you slightly uncomfortable. You dropped your eyes to the floor. You couldn't maintain eye contact with anyone for more than a few seconds anyway. You thought it would be different with your soulmate, but it wasn't. Not when your soulmate was someone that was your complete opposite as far as personality was concerned.

"That is Y/N. One of my most trusted advisors," Daenerys told Yara. Yara's fingers brushed against her neck as she smiled softly. "And will Y/N be joining us?" Daenerys nodded. "Of course. I couldn't sail to Westeros without Y/N." You gave Daenerys a smile before returning your gaze to the floor. "Cat got your tongue?" You whipped your head up. Yara was smirking at you and you glared at her as you shook your head. "Then you could at least talk to your soulmate? Or, if talking is out of the question, we could always get a drink." You huffed and turned on your heel to leave the room. If there was one thing you couldn't stand, it was someone that was overly flirtatious. One thing was for certain. The journey to Westeros was going to be very long indeed.

*time skip*

"Why don't you give Yara a chance?" You looked up to see Yara's brother standing next to you. You had been on the ship for weeks now and, much to your surprise, had gotten close to Theon. Letting out a sigh, you leaned against the railing. "We're just too different, Theon. Yara is loud and aggressive and I'm not. She just goes for what she wants and I can't do that. Plus she's so damn reckless, jumping head first into any altercation, even if it could get her killed. I don't want to let my guard down around someone like that. Not if I could get hurt in the end."

It felt good to get that off your chest. You hadn't been close enough to say it to anyone else before. You weren't as shy around Theon though. Perhaps it was because, after his ordeal with Ramsay, he was as meek as you were. "You're right. She is reckless and aggressive. But she is also compassionate toward her people. She would do anything for those she loves and she's loyal to a fault. Give her chance. She might surprise you." He walked off after that, not giving you the chance to reply.

You turned back to look out at the ocean as the sun began to set on it, the colors reflecting on the clear surface like a prism. As you let your eyes look at the beautiful colors, your mind wandered. Maybe Theon was right. After all, you only had one soulmate and the world was full of uncertainty. Why should this be any different? Still, could you really work up the courage needed to give yourself to someone as different from you as Yara was? You looked away from the water and across the deck. Yara's eyes were already on you. It seemed she was never far from you these days. Licking your lips, you gave her a little tilt of your head, indicating you wanted to talk somewhere a bit more private. Then, you went to your cabin below deck.

Once in your cabin, you waited and while you did, you had a drink. And then another. You were on your fourth when a knock sounded at the door. You answered it to find exactly who you expected. Without saying a thing, you moved aside to let her in. Then, you poured her a drink. For a few minutes, the two of you drank silently. Finally, you found yourself able to speak.

"Can you not be so reckless?" Yara's brows furrowed. "What?" You took another swallow of wine. "You're my soulmate, Yara. I can't have you going off without thinking. I need you to promise me that you'll stop being so reckless. And stop flirting with anyone and anything that crosses your path. It doesn't exactly make me confident in you as a soulmate." Her eyebrow rose as if she were trying to determine whether or not you were serious.

"I can't change who I am, Y/N. Iron Born are reckless people. It is in our blood to fight and to pillage. And no, I won't stop 'flirting' as you call it. But I can promise you, that it means nothing. It's empty words with someone who isn't you. I won't stop. And part of being soulmates is accepting some as they are, not for who you want or expect them to be. I don't expect you to change. Although talking to you is a nice alternative to not."

You didn't respond for a moment. You were letting her words sink in. She was right, of course. You both needed to accept each other as you were. Slowly, you nodded. "You're right. Just don't rub your conquests in my face." She laughed before setting down her drink. Then, she reached out a put her hands on your hips, drawing you close to her. "They aren't conquests. Conquests have to be conquered. It's not conquering if they come willingly. My only conquest, is you." You let out a shaky breath, feeling the warmth of herbeing so close to you. "Oh," was all you could manage to say. Yara laughed and gave your hips a squeeze before saying, "And I look forward to it." You were still uncertain about your soulmate, but at least there was some progress being made.