Tug (Brienne x reader) Soulmate AU

You'd been feeling a tug all your life. You weren't the only one, of course, but you were one of the few people you knew that hadn't figured out who their soulmate was yet. Whoever your soulmate was, they certainly moved around a lot. They strength of the tug grew weaker or stronger depending on how close you and your soulmate were. And you always got a little upset when the tug was weak. But that would soon change when you met her.

You knew Brienne of Tarth by reputation only. She was fierce warrior, with sword skills that rivaled the most skilled of knights. You had a reputation of your own, but not like hers. So, when you felt the tug growing stronger as she and her companions approached, you were stunned. Judging by the look on her face, she felt the same. Of course you would feel the strongest tug in front of dozens of people.

Your eyes met her blue ones and you could see that she was thinking the same things. "Finally" and "Why now?" You weren't exactly comfortable receiving this revelation in front of everyone in King's Landing. Sure, there were lots of people who dropped everything when they met their soulmates, but you weren't that kind of person and it appeared neither was Brienne. In King's Landing, it was dangerous to admit that you had any kind of weakness and professing that you'd found your soulmate was definitely a type of weakness that could be used against you. So you stayed silent, letting your gaze dart over to Brienne's every once in a while.

All the while, Brienne was doing her best not to fidget. The tug was stronger than ever and it was leading right to you. Of course the warrior knew who you were. You had a reputation as a cunning and cutthroat player of the great game. Not that you wanted the throne, but you wanted someone worthy of it to sit there. So, you bid your time and played the game using every ounce of strength and cunning you possessed. In fact, Brienne was surprised to see you looking so uncomfortable. Then again, who was she to talk? She didn't think she'd ever meet her soulmate. Now she could only hope that things worked out. Even if they didn't, at least she'd have met you. For now, she needed to wait. She wasn't about to act like a complete fool just because you were standing there, no matter how strongly she was drawn to you.

It seemed like an eternity before you were able to leave the throne room. And in that eternity, it was as if the walls were closing in on you. You could barely breathe. The tug toward Brienne was getting stronger by the minute and wouldn't stop until the two of you touched. It was maddening. One little touch was all it would take to put you out of your misery and you couldn't even get that. Not yet.

Once you were dismissed, you darted from the room as quickly as possible. You needed some space for a moment. However, even as you ran away from her, the tug toward Brienne didn't weaken. In fact, it got a little stronger. It wasn't until you turned around that you realized why. She had followed you.

You cast a glance around. No one else was in the dimly lit corridor except the two of you. For a while, the two of you stood there in an awkward silence. What else could you do? To your surprise, it was Brienne who spoke first. "You feel it too." You gave a short nod. She bowed slightly and introduced herself, "Brienne of Tarth." You smiled and shook your head. "I know. Your reputation precedes you, my lady. You are truly a fierce and loyal warrior. Y/N of House Y/L/N."

Another blanket of silence followed. The urge to reach out and touch the woman in front of you was so strong, you thought you might die if you didn't do it. Still, you held back. You weren't going to do anything that might make Brienne uncomfortable. It looked like she was fighting the same urge you were though. Sighing, you ran a hand through your hair. "Lady Brienne, you say you are feeling the same pull as I am. I don't know about you, but I am quite tired of it. It's suffocating." She nodded, making you laugh. You didn't expect her to be so shy.

"Are you upset? That I am the one the gods chose for you?" she asked. Your eyes widened in disbelief. "Of course not, Brienne. We are two sides of the same coin. You are loyal and protective. A warrior and knight in her own right. I am the more sly of the two of us. Politics and economics rather than fighting and bloodshed. I can also see that you have a gentle heart, though you try to hide it so you won't be hurt. I am honored that the gods, if there are any, chose you for me."

With that, you reached up and placed a hand on her cheek. She was still covered in dirt and grime from her journey, but it didn't bother you. The tug you felt toward her disappeared and was replaced by a warm tingling sensation going up your spine. And finally, you could breathe easy again, but it was Brienne who let out a sigh of relief.

"We must be careful now. If anyone suspects our connection, they could use it against us. I won't see you harmed because of me," you told her seriously. She nodded a little, her eyes still glued to you as if she couldn't believe what was happening. "And when I have to leave King's Landing? Would you join me or would you stay here and let me worry for your own safety?" she asked quietly. You smiled at her. "I would accompany you, if you'll have me."

She contemplated for a moment before nodding again. "I would rather have you by my side than miles away again." You removed your hand from her face and took hers. "Then by your side is where I shall be." You placed a kiss to her knuckles. Her face turned red, causing you to laugh. "Come. We should return to the others before they suspect something. Cersei may not be the smartest woman in the Seven Kingdoms, but she has spies everywhere."

You turned to walk away, but she stopped you. Before you could question her, she leaned down and kissed your lips gently. Then, without another word, she turned and left. Your lips turned into a smile as you followed after her, like the tug that had drawn you together was still there and for all you knew, it could have been.