Playground (Stannis Baratheon x fem!reader) Modern/Single Parent AU

You sat down on the playground bench and helped your small daughter out of her wagon. "Go play, Y/D/N. And don't eat any sand this time," you told her. The four year old nodded and ran off toward the play area. You sighed in relief at the small moment of peace. Since your husband had died, you'd had to adjust to life as a single mother. You did your best, but you needed some peace every now and again.

Your eyes were glued to your daughter as a slightly older girl approached her. She held a bucket in one hand and a shovel in the other. "Would you like to play?" she asked your daughter. The little girl gave the older one a toothy grin and a nod. You smiled slightly. You were glad your daughter didn't seem to have many problems making friends.

"Is she yours?" You glanced up to see a tall man next to you. You nodded. "Yes. I take it the one with the bucket is yours?" He gave a nod and gestured to the empty space next to you. "May I?" You told him that he was welcome and he sat down. "Stannis. Stannis Baratheon." You shook his hand before introducing yourself.

The two of you sat talking for a while before your daughter came running back over to you with Stannis' daughter in tow. "Mommy, meet my new friend." You smiled at her before turning your attention to the older girl. "Hello." She gave you a grin. "Hi. I'm Shireen." She reached out a hand which you took, impressed by her manners. "It's nice to meet you, Shireen. Is Y/D/N playing nice?" Shireen nodded.

"Mommy, can Shireen come over and play?" You brushed some sand out of Y/D/N's hair and chuckled. "Maybe some other time. We need to get home for dinner and I'm certain Shireen and her dad have other things to do." Y/D/N pouted slightly as she climbed back into her wagon. "Sorry about that. She's just like her father when she gets this way. I really should get her home." Stannis stood as you rose from your seat.

"I've really enjoyed our conversation, Y/N. Perhaps we could arrange a time for the girls to get together and play again? Then we could continue speaking." You looked between the two girls who were waiting impatiently for you to answer. You gave a little nod. "That would be great. Does next weekend work for you?" Stannis agreed. "Yes. Here's our address. I have conference calls in the mornings this weekend, but our afternoons are open." With that, the four of you parted, Stannis and Shireen going one way while you and Y/D/N went another.

That one play date turned into several. It was to the point where you had play dates every single weekend you were all free. Then came the one weekend that would change this between you all drastically. You had just set the girls up with a snack when Stannis cleared his throat. You looked at him expectantly. "Y/N, I was wondering if you would, perhaps, like to accompany me to the theater this next weekend. Just the two of us."

You blinked at him in shock. As the weeks had gone by, you'd noticed that Stannis didn't have any problems expressing what he wanted, but this was different. He looked nervous and unsure. "L-Like a date?" Stannis nodded. "I haven't felt anything close to this since my wife died, but I feel like I can truly let my guard down with you. And because you have a child of your own, I know I don't have to worry about Shireen. Plus, she likes you quite a bit."

Stannis watched your expression, his own falling when you didn't answer right away. "Perhaps I was reading this incorrectly." You chuckled a little at his insistence of using proper grammar all the time. "No, Stannis. I'm just surprised is all. But I'd love to go to the theater with you. As long as I can find a sitter." Stannis nodded. "Y/D/N is more than welcome to come here for the night. Davos isn't available that night, but my brother Renly is. As much as we don't get along, he is wonderful with children." You beamed. "That sounds wonderful. I'll see you then." Stannis leaned over and kissed you on the cheek. "Until then."

That next weekend, Y/D/N would not sit still. She was far too excited to have a sleepover with Shireen, her new best friend. It was so bad, you had to call your brother over to help keep Y/D/N occupied while you got ready. Not that Y/D/N minded. She loved her Uncle Sandor. He looked scary, but was a gentle as a puppy with her. She loved to use him as a jungle gym, like she was now as you sat trying to get your makeup just right.

"I don't like it," Sandor grumbled and you took the eyeliner away from your face long enough to roll your eyes. "Sandor, you don't like anybody so I'm not surprised you have a problem with me going out with Stannis. Just please, let me have this? I haven't been on a date since Y/H/N died and Stannis is a great guy."

Sandor moved to cross his arms over his chest, but Y/D/N was latched onto his bicep. Sighing, he ran his large hand over her curls. "Is your bag packed, little one?" he asked. Y/D/N dropped to the floor. "Uh..." You laughed. "That's a no. Go on and get your little bag packed. I put everything you need on your bed. If you need help, let us know." She agreed and ran from the room. Sandor turned back to you.

"If he hurts ya, I'll kill him. I mean it, Y/N." You set down the makeup and turned to face your brother with a smile. "I know, Sandor. You've always been protective and I appreciate it and I promise, if Stannis hurts me, I'll let you break his legs. You can't kill him, he has a daughter." Sandor grumbled in agreement. "Fine." You got up to kiss his cheek before returning to your mirror. "I'll go check on Y/D/N." He left the room so you could finish getting ready. As soon as you looked as good as you thought you could, you bid Sandor goodnight and drove over to Stannis' house with Y/D/N chattering away in the back seat.

A younger man opened the door with a bright grin. "You must be the one who stole my brother's heart." You couldn't help but smile at his joyous spirit. "I guess. I'm Y/N and you must be Renly." Renly gave an exaggerated bow. "That I am. Brother, expert chef, and all around babysitter extraordinaire at your service." You laughed and Shireen appeared at Renly's elbow. "Hi!" Y/D/N let out a squeal of delight and tried to push past Renly.

"Manners!" She mumbled out an "excuse me" and continued inside. Renly let you in to stand in the entryway. "I really hope she doesn't give you too much trouble. She's just excited. If she gets to be a handful, feel free to call me or I can leave you my brother's number. He can usually get her to calm down." Renly waved off your protests. "Really, I've got it under control. Before Stannis comes down, I want to thank you."

"Thank me?" Renly nodded. "Yeah. I haven't seen Stannis this happy well...ever. I mean, what passes for happy with Stannis. And Shireen loves to talk about you and your daughter, saying that neither of you ever stare at her scars. You make them both happy." You opened your mouth to answer, but before you could, Stannis' voice rang out.

"Y/N, you look," he eyed you up and down, "Stunning. Renly, behave yourself." Renly gave a mock salute and grinned. "I've got this. Now go before you're late." Stannis shook his head and lead you out to his car. The ride to the theater was filled with easy conversation, much to your surprise. Despite how nervous you were, you found Stannis easy to talk to. The ride back from the theater was similar. When you pulled back up to the house, you felt yourself starting to blush. You felt like a teenager again. Was there going to be a goodnight kiss?

Apparently Stannis was just as nervous. He reached over and took your hand in his and you could feel it shaking. "Are you alright?" you asked, suddenly more concerned for him. "I am. It has been a while since my last date. I must admit that I'm...wary of what to do next." You smiled. "I'm glad I'm not the only one. But I really enjoyed myself tonight. I'd like to keep seeing you, if you feel the same." Stannis gave a brief nod before leaned down and gave you light peck on the lips.

"I'd like to go slowly. For both of us. And for the children's sake." You readily agreed which lead to another soft peck. "OH MY GODS! YOU CALL THAT A GOODNIGHT KISS?!" Stannis stood up straight and glared at Renly who was standing in the doorway. You couldn't fight back the fit of giggles that bubbled out.