A Visit to the Wall (Jon Snow x fem!Tarly reader)

You fought back a shiver as you rode through the gates of the Wall. You were really excited. Normally women weren't allowed at the Wall, but your guardian needed to travel on business. That wasn't why you were excited though. You were excited because for the first time since your father sent you to your guardian, you were going to see your brother Sam.

Your parents had sent you to the home of another lord in order to find a suitable suitor for you. So far, you hadn't had any luck, but you certainly enjoyed all the traveling you got to do. Now, you were going to see the place that most women weren't allowed.

"Y/N?!" You whipped your head over to see your brother smiling up at you. "Sam!" You dismounted as quickly as possible. "Y/N! I can't believe you're here!" Sam wrapped his arms around you, earning rude comments from the other men. "Lord Piggy, have you forgotten your vows already?" a sharp voice broke you apart. You cocked your head to the side as Sam flushed red. "Of course not, Ser Alliser. This is Y/n Tarly. My sister."

You flashed him a bright smile. You'd always been told that your smiles were contagious and that appeared to be true even in the North. "Y/N," your guardian called and you glanced at him. "Come along." With one more quick hug to Sam, you followed after your guardian. As you moved around Sam, someone caught your eye.

He had a head full of dark curls. They fell slightly in his face over a pair of dark grey, nearly black eyes. You only caught glimpses of those beautiful eyes as he moved around the training yard. Every move appeared effortless and you couldn't keep your eyes off him. You almost ran into your guardian's back when he stopped moving. Suddenly, you found yourself even happier that you were going to be staying for a few days.

You finally got to meet the beautiful man that night. Sam sat down with you at the table, glaring at anyone who dared get too close. "Sam, you don't have to do that. I am perfectly safe." You reached down and patted your thigh where you had a knife fastened. "Sam." You whipped your head up to see him. The man with the dark eyes. "Oh, Jon. This is Y/N, my sister. Y/N, this is Jon Snow."

Jon gave you a little nod before sitting down next to Sam, across from you. "Why are you here, my lady?" You glanced back at your guardian who was chatting with the Lord Commander. "My guardian is here to offer the Lord Commander some of his prisoners for the Wall." You turned back to your brother and Jon. "And he brought you with him?" You nodded. "Of course. As I told Sam, I am perfectly safe."

You glanced at the plate of raw meat in his hand. Arching a brow, you asked, "You plan on eating that?" Jon's grimace made you giggle. "It's for Ghost." You hummed, confused. "Ghost?" Jon gave you an actual smile. "Come on. I'll show you." You looked to Sam who nodded with a grin. You got up and followed Jon out to the kennels.

Once there, you heard a low growling. Jon opened the door and you gasped. Inside was a beautiful direwolf. "You have a direwolf?" Jon nodded and slid the plate of meat toward the beast. You watched in awe. Ghost ate quickly then looked back up at you and licked his chops. Jon took a step closer and offered you his hand. "Is it safe?" you asked and Jon chuckled. "As long as you mean me no harm, then yes."

You took his hand and let him pull you over to the direwolf. Ghost growled and you flinched back. Jon laughed softly. "It's alright." He held your hand out for Ghost to sniff. Your hand was shaking as Ghost took a step closer to you. It felt like the world had stopped as you waited to see whether or not the direwolf would choose to devour you. To your surprise, he nudged your hand with his nose, getting a little of the blood on it. "See? He likes you." You laughed happily as you began to carefully stroke Ghost's fur.

You spent the next several days spending time with Sam and Jon whenever possible. Jon was something else. He came to Wall because he felt it was the only honor for a bastard. But the man was everything the lords you'd met weren't. He was passionate and caring. Loyal to a fault. However, he was also prone to brooding. Still, you loved hearing his stories about growing up in Winterfell and he didn't treat you like you had an infectious disease or like a piece of meat. You knew it was going to be hard to leave him. But you knew you'd have to leave soon.

The day came when you'd have to leave sooner than you'd wanted. You felt tears prick your eyes when you hugged Sam. "I'll write you, I promise," he whispered to you. "I know, Sam. Be safe." You squeezed a little tighter, enjoying the warmth his hugs always brought to you. Someone cleared their throat, making you pull back from your brother. "Sam, Maester Aemon needs you."

Sam nodded, gave you one more squeeze, and hurried off leaving you with Jon. A slightly awkward silence passed between you two. "I wish you safe travels, my lady," Jon finally said, rubbing the back of his neck. You chuckled sadly. "Thank you, Jon." He asked if you wanted to say goodbye to Ghost. You shook your head. "Tell him farewell for me?" Jon agreed. You suddenly got the urge to hug the man and it was an urge you couldn't fight. You wrapped your arms around him and whispered, "Farewell, Jon Snow. Perhaps we'll meet again."

You let him go and walked away, fighting the tears in your eyes. Saying goodbye to your brother again was hard enough, but now you had to say it to your friend. You were so lost in thought, you didn't notice the group of men following you. At least not until they grabbed you and dragged you to an empty part of the castle.

Your back hit the frigid stone wall and your eyes widened in fear. Your gaze darted between the men in front of you. They all wore the same expression. Purely predatory. You felt yourself start shaking again, but you knew this time it wasn't the cold. You let out a scream, praying that someone, anyone, heard you.

"HEY!" someone yelled and the men dropped you. A snarl echoed through the courtyard. Ghost. Your knees hit the ground in the snow and you started crying. "Are you alright?" Jon's soft voice came from beside you. You glanced up and saw that the men had run off. Throwing your arms around Jon's neck, you pulled yourself closer to him.

"Come on." Jon scooped you up in his arms and carried back inside to the chambers you'd been using. Ghost padded along behind him and growled at anyone who got too close. "Just stay in here. I'll go get your guardian." He turned to go and Ghost made to follow. "Ghost, stay. Look after her." With that, he left the room. Ghost came over and jumped up on the bed like a normal dog, making you giggle softly.

Jon returned a few minutes later with your guardian right behind him. "Y/N, are you alright?!" You assure him that you were. "We're leaving this place just in time. Thank you, Snow, for saving her." Jon nodded, but his eyes never left yours. You were no longer shaking as you ran your hand through Ghost's thick, soft fur.

"Come along, Y/N. We need to get you out of here." You stood and followed after your guardian. As you past by him, Jon reached out his hand just enough to brush against yours. Your eyes met and you smiled. "Farewell, Jon Snow," you said softly. Jon stared ahead of him as you leaned up and pressed a kiss to his cheek. Listening to your retreating footsteps, Jon committed the feeling of your lips against his cheek to memory, knowing he'd never get to feel them again.