To Win You Over (Jaime Lannister x fem!reader) AU

Jaime wasn't happy. Neither were you. Jaime had never intended to get married in the first place, but when he found out he was betrothed he was determined to make the best of it. It didn't work. After just a few days you both came to the conclusion that you hated one another. No one could blame you. Jaime thought you were stubborn and snobbish and you thought Jaime tried too hard.

If there was one thing you hated, it was for highborn people to revel in the fact that they were highborn. To brag about their advantages when there were those far less fortunate living so close. In your eyes, Jaime was one of those.

From the moment you arrived at Casterly Rock, Jaime had been attempting to woo you in every way he knew how. He would show you all the advantages of being a Lannister. The hold fast of Casterly Rock, the most well-bred horses and hunting dogs, the soldiers and servants there to do the bidding of all the highborn. He did everything he had been taught would sway a lady to agreeing to an already arranged marriage. Unfortunately for him, that wasn't what you wanted.

You wanted to see the real Jaime Lannister. Not the one born with a silver spoon in his mouth. You wanted to see the type of heart he had and the gentleness you were sure was in there somewhere. But the stubborn man absolutely refused to show you that side of himself. "This will never work," you finally told him one morning before leaving him standing in the corridor with his jaw on the ground.

For several minutes, Jaime merely stood there. You had just rejected him for lack of a better word. That wasn't something Jaime was used to. The very thought made his blood boil. Who were you to simply toss him, the heir of Casterly Rock, aside? With clenched fists, Jaime moved to follow you, his anger leading the way. He was going to give you a piece of his mind and tell you exactly what he thought about you and your stubborn streak. He wasn't prepared for what he saw.

When Jaime finally found you, it wasn't where he expected to. You were at the gates of Casterly Rock, a hood pulled over your head and a basket on your arm. You glanced around, forcing Jaime to hide so you wouldn't see him. He was curious to see where you were going. You slipped past the gates and began walking toward the town. Two servants followed you in case of trouble and they were both carrying several baskets as well.

Jaime followed you to the poorer part of the town and watched in amazement as you stopped by many homes. At each small home, you handed a basket to someone at the door. You had a soft smile on your face and the villagers seemed happy to see you. Jaime couldn't believe that this is what you chose to do with your free time. He had you pegged all wrong. You weren't snobbish at all and that was confirmed when you stopped at the last house in the town.

You walked inside the small hovel. That was when Jaime finally approached your servants. "Lord Jaime," a servant greeted with a slight bow. Jaime nodded. "What is she doing in there?" Your servants smiled. "Lady Y/N often brings food to those less fortunate. In this case, the mother is very ill. Lady Y/N comes to check on her every day."

Jaime shook his head at his own foolishness. He realized that he had been going about this all wrong. Someone as kind and generous as you would certainly not be impressed with all the material things Jaime had to offer. You needed something different. Something better.

The door of the house opened and you stood in the doorway. "Take care of your mother, little one and, if you need anything you can come to me. Come see me at Casterly Rock directly. My servants will bring you to me and I will help in any way I can." The little boy in front of you smiled and nodded. "Thank you, my lady." You flashed him a smile and turned away.

Seeing Jaime, you stopped short. "Leave us for a moment please," Jaime ordered the servants. They looked to you and you nodded so they left. "Did you follow me?" you snapped and Jaime readily admitted that he had. "My intention was to inform you just how much I despised the idea of being married to you." You frowned.

"However, when I saw you out here, I decided to see what you were up to." You huffed and started walking back toward Casterly Rock. "Well, thank you for telling me your true feelings and for spying on me." Jaime easily caught up with you and caught your elbow gently. "Would you let me finish?" You didn't stop walking, but you did slow down.

"As I was saying, I did despise the idea of being wed to you. But now, I'm not so certain. Seeing this side of you has made me want to know more." You stopped walking and turned to him. "I have no desire to marry a man whose only concern is what he can obtain with his family's gold." It was Jaime's turn to be offended again, but he couldn't say anything. After all, that's what he had made it seem like he was.

"You're right. I have lived my entire life knowing that gold can get you anything in the world that you want. Until I met you. You weren't impressed and I didn't know how to react. I want to show that there is more to me that that. If you'll give me a chance, that is." You had been silent the whole time he'd been speaking.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, you replied, "I may have misjudged you, Lord Jaime. If you are willing to try, then so am I. Perhaps we could make this work after all." Jaime smiled softly. "Perhaps we could. And I would like to start by taking you on a horseback ride around the land. We could get to know one another. No more formalities or pretense." You smiled and nodded.

*time skip*

Jaime surprised himself at how much he opened up to you and you to him on that one ride. It became part of your daily routine. Every day just before supper, the two of you would ride and talk. Just as Jaime had suggested, the formalities were dropped. You weren't the future Lord and Lady Lannister. You were Jaime and Y/N, two people who were arranged to be wed and slowly falling in love with one another.

"Y/N?" You hummed in response, glancing down at Jaime. His head was resting on your lap while you ran your fingers through his blond locks. Your (e/c) gaze met his and you smiled. It was nice being so comfortable with someone. "May I ask you something?" You rolled your eyes. "You just did." Jaime gave you a look that told you he didn't appreciate your sarcasm. "What is it?"

"I've realized that I never formally asked for your hand," he began as he sat up. You simply looked up, wanting to interrupt, but wanting to see where he was going with this. "I know our marriage is already arranged, but, if you refuse my proposal, then I will go directly to my father and break off the arrangement. However, if you agree, then I will be the best husband I possibly can."

You remained silent for a minute. You hadn't really expected Jaime to offer you a way out of the marriage. The question was: did you even want out now? Jaime had completely changed your opinion of him over the past few weeks. "You realize this is the part where an answer is usually given?" he quipped and you glared playfully at him.

You looked into those green eyes that seemed to bore into your soul. You couldn't seem to speak, but you tried anyway. Jaime's brows furrowed. "What was that?" You laughed softly. "I said 'I accept'." Jaime blinked in shock. "Really?" You chuckled again. "Yes, Jaime. Really. I will gladly marry you."

In his happiness, Jaime grabbed your face gently in his hands and kissed you deeply. You squealed in surprise, but easily melted into his touch. If he kissed you like that all that time, you were certain you were getting the better end of the deal. Jaime sighed happily and slightly proudly. He'd done it. He'd won you over. And not only that, he'd found someone he could trust with his most precious possession. His love.