The Riddle of the Sphinx

"Kalmaar's right. This is my fault." Sighed Nya being hard on herself.

"Don't give up, Nya. Zane will get the controls fixed. There's hope." Smiled Maya trying to lighten up the situation.

"There is no hope. I have assessed the damage and it is beyond repair." Stated Zane getting out of the entrance of the sub.

"Which means we're stranded." Said Jay as I gave him a hard look and tilted my head to Nya who was already feeling as guilty as she was before.

"Hehe...Oops..." muttered Jay in apology making me shake my head.

"Can you not use your Elemental Powers to summon the whales? They could easily pull this vessel behind them." Suggested Bentho beside me.

"Summon whales?" Questioned Nya, "No, I can't do that."

"But you are named Nya." Added Bentho.

"Yeah?" Nya was still confused on how her name was to be connected to summoning whales.

"The first Elemental Master of Water. Nyad. Surely you know the tale of Nyad?" Spoke Benthomaar as I gasped.

"Oh! That tale! I loved that one. It was a fan favourite to the kids back in the village!" I smiled now realizing what tale Bentho is talking about.

"I told you this. Don't you remember? When you were a little girl? The story of Nyad and the whales. She rode upon their backs. We named you after her. But it's just a children's story, Bentho." Informed Maya.

"It is true. Nyad had helped defeat the serpent Wojira. She leapt onto the serpent's head with nothing but a Borodin trident—" continued the prince as Nya soon cut him off.

"Benthomaar, I can't summon whales. I can only control water. And right now, not even that." Sighed Nya.

"She's right. I was the Elemental Master of Water before her, I would know if something like that was possible." Agreed Maya.

"Have you ever tried?" Asked Bentho.

"Well...no." Admitted Nya after giving her mother a look.

"Then how do you know?" Questioned Bento as that made Nya more determined on finding out of she can.

"What do I do now...?" Asked Nya in the water as some little fishes already appeared before her.

"Whatever you're doing, it's working. Try again!" Urged Maya.

"Be careful not to call any piranhas or sharks. Or, or blowfish, or fire sharks, or glass snails." Rambled Jay making me only giggle and warn Bentho that he'll have to live with that side of Jay for a while.

~~~

We gave Nya some quiet time so she can concentrate on summoning the sea mammals.

"How's it going? Almost done?" Asked Jay a bit awkwardly.

"No, Jay! There's just a lot of little fish! And they're too small to pull the sub, and we're stuck here, and it's ALL my fault! AAAAH!" Rambled Nya before yelling into the ocean. (Probably got that from Jay...)

"It isn't your fault, Nya." Jay tried to overlook the facts and tried to calm her down.

"How is it NOT my fault?! If I hadn't come along, Calamari would have NEVER found this place," started Nya as me and Jay gasped seeing something in the distance.

"—the Amulet would still be safe, and..." continued Nya without knowing what's near her.

"Nya! Look!" Yelled Jay as his fiancée finally stopped rambling about her faults and shouted in happiness.