The Last Scarlet 2

Part 2

Riding on their horses, Hanabi decided to slow down her pace and speak with the assassin she hired.

"You're from the Shadow faction," she started, "would you mind telling me the reason why your leader did this heineous crime?"

Hanzo smirked as he shifted his gaze at her, "Assassins do not leak information."

She scoffed at his response and stared back at him, "I thought you serve the master of the guild."

"Nevertheless, it is the duty of an assassin to keep his mouth shut."

Thinking over the words he just said, Hanabi came up with an intriguing question.

"If you were asked about my whereabout after your mission, would you tell them?"

Hanzo simply grinned before making his horse gallop at its fastest speed. Hanabi clicked her tongue before going after him, expecting an answer.

"You have a screw loose in your head, missy," he stated, only further annoying the Scarlet woman.

He was an assassin and if he did leak information about his clients, then he was not worthy to be an honorable one. Still, telling that directly to a woman made him uncomfortable so he would rather choose to leave Hanabi hanging rather speak what he had in mind. Furthermore, it was no time for small talks especially that they were racing against time. It would be too problematic if Hayabusa's team would find them.

Reaching a nearby village gave the two sometime to give their horses some rest before going back on their way.

"By the way," Hanabi states, breaking the silence between them, "it's not only the Shadow faction that is after me."

Hanzo was not that surprised, he already expected such idea since Hanabi was the only capable person who could summon the Higanbana. It was no wonder why a lot more people were after her.

"Who else?" Still, he asked for further information. In that way, he could act accordingly and complete his mission in success.

"Your brother."

Hearing her reply only choked Hanzo. Such unexpected sight of the serious assassin made Hanabi giggle, only to earn a deadly glare from him.

"Have you lost your mind?" he scoffed at her, "I do not have a brother. You're insane."

But Hanabi wasn't lying. She had no reason to do so, and it was the actual truth since she stumbled upon him before. She barely escaped from him and selecting Hanzo as the assassin to protect her in her journey was the only choice she had. She believed that he was the only capable assassin to keep her alive if ever she crosses path again with Haruko.

Hanabi stared at Hanzo, her face all serious and no sign of joke was evident.

"You may not believe it but," Hanabi stated as she stretched out her hand and pointed at his eye, "from your dark eyes to your pointed nose and down to your lips-they are like his. The only difference is that he has a scar on his jawline."

Hanzo creased his forehead because she sounded like telling the truth. But never in his entire life had he been told that he had a brother or something of that sort. He was an only child, that's what he knew. Instead of making it obvious that he started to become intrigued, Hanzo held Hanabi's finger that was pointed at him.

"Know to differentiate a dream from reality," he said and tried to bend her finger, making Hanabi yelp in pain.

"You ugly devil," she snarled, "I was telling the truth! And I don't have dreams!"

Rolling her eyes to the side, Hanabi decided to keep quiet before she would get angry again. She focused her attention on her food-stabbing it with her chopsticks.

"What do you mean you don't have dreams?" Hanzo suddenly asked. She lifted her gaze at him and smirked.

"Why'd you wanna know?" she asked in return.

Hanzo got the signal that she would just make fun of him so he simply shook his head and looked out to the window. But Hanabi was given the chance go at least bring out what she had always kept in. So, she grabbed the chance to do so for it might not come again in the future.

"I'm afraid," she said. Hanzo looked at her and leaned on the table with both of his arms folded. The Scarlet was a bit happy to see that he was interested to listen so she continued.

"When I was young, I would wake up any time of the night because of some troubles in our homes. Attempted murder, assassination, poisons and sudden invasions. Those were the reasons why and the worst is the annihilation of my clan. I did think that chaos is inevitable but to be left alone was beyond my comprehension."

With only those few words she had spoken of, Hanabi was lost in the nightmarish memories of the night she lost everyone. She did not even realize that her tears fell on her cheeks.

"Do you want me to wipe off your tears with the back of my hand?" Hanzo suddenly asked while raising his hand.

"Or should I sit beside you and let your head lean on my shoulder as you cry? Or would you like it if I wrap my hand around your shoulders and tell you that I would protect you? Which of those would you want me to do?" he added.

Hanabi immediately switched to her annoyed self as she glared at him. She thought that he would only listen to what she had to say but his words were just so out of the blue and would be awkward for her if he really did any of those.

"You know what? You're crazy," she said, wiping off her own tears and finished her food. Before she could hear anymore nonsense from him, she got out from the pub and headed to the stable.

"He ticks me off," she mumbled to herself, "I hate him, I hate him, I hate him!"

"Are you enjoying my brother's company?"

That familiar voice made Hanabi stiff. She wanted to believe that she was just hearing things but she could hear some footsteps coming towards her from behind.

"Haruko," she whispered.