Haunting Past(Harley|Lylia)

"What?!"

Wide-eyed, Lylia's mouth was hanging open upon seeing the magazine of Land of Dawn. Her favorite section in the magazine was the all-time rising stars wherein popular celebrities, politicians and even businessmen were featured.

"What is it?" Nana asked who just came from the kitchen, holding two cups of hot chocolate. It was winter and hot chocolate was the perfect warming drink that morning.

Nana and Lylia were fresh graduates. To reduce the money expenses on renting a condominium, the two of them decided to stay together and pay half of the rent each. It was as if luck had hit Nana that she managed to get a job while Lylia was waiting for the results of her job interviews from different companies.

"The company that I had an interview in just yesterday was the company that Harley is managing?!" Lylia exclaimed, still unable to digest the information.

With a creased forehead, Nana looked at the magazine and right on the featured section, Harley was there.

"I guess that is not so surprising especially that he is the only son of the Vance family," Nana commented before taking a sip of her hot chocolate. Lylia, outraged on what she just read, threw the magazine away and pulled her hair.

"I cannot accept this!" she yelled.

Nana was getting amused at the sight for Lylia had yet again crossed with with the man she hated the most. It was amusing in a cute way, for Nana at least.

"Why the hell is he a CEO immediately while the two of us are employees?! We are smarter than he is!"

Nana could not do anything but shake her head and stated, "Well, the world is unfair, Lylia."

"Karma should hit him! He was such a bully back in primary but why is he a CEO?! The world is driving me nuts!"

While getting worked up at the news she just read, Lylia's phone dinged. Without much energy left, she reached at her pocket and saw her messages. They were the companies she applied for. She breathed in and put to prepare herself. She, then, opened the messages one by one.

"Failed... failed... failed..." she muttered to herself, getting more and more depressed as her rejection kept on popping up. She flopped on the sofa and kicked her feet, throwing a fit and threw her phone on the other sofa.

"Why am I getting rejected?!"

Nana peeked at her phone and saw that there was still another last message she had not opened. She clicked it and a smile was drawn upon seeing the result.

"Nope, you got accepted," she said which hyped Lylia. She got up and grabbed her phone again. Upon seeing it, she was overjoyed. Well, for a few seconds until she saw the name of the company, Promethean Corp.

"This can't be happening," she mumbled to herself.

Despite the hatred she held inside her, Lylia still prepared the next day for her first day of work at Promethean Corp. She could not help but get irritated for she had no choice but to go since she had already been rejected by 100 companies for the past few months. She only had to endure for now while she goes searching for yet another work.

Upon her entry at the company building, she could not help but wish that she would not cross path with Harley. Of all CEO, he was the last one she does not want to work for. Well, especially that Harley knew most of her embarrassing past during primary and high school years. While being guided by Diggie, a manager in the company, Lylia bumped with the well-known action star, Lesley, who was the sister of Harley.

She had watched a lot of her movies and she was a great actress. But she could not help but question; why does someone as great as her associated with someone like Harley who was nothing but a proud man?

"You look familiar," Lesley commented.

"I am a fan of yours," Lylia replied shyly. The actress smiled at her and held her by the shoulder.

"You were the ex-girlfriend of my brother. Good to see you again, Lylia," she stated before leaving the elevator. Lylia wanted to shout right at that moment but it would be uncivilized of her to do so. She simply inhaled and exhaled to keep herself calm.

The memories of her being fooled by Harley came rushing back in her mind. It was during their senior year in high school and Harley made her believe that he was truly in love with her. He even brought her to one of their family dinners, only to find out the next day that she was just being played around by Harley and his circle of friends. He just asked her out just because of a freaking bet. Such experience was not something worth remembering.

"The CEO usually meet with the new employees so do prepare yourself," Diggie stated upon reaching the floor where Harley's office was located.

It was nerve-wracking for her that she even prayed that an emergency should come up and make Harley go away from the building. But it was not answered for she bumped into him in the hallway.

And when their gazes met, a grin slowly formed at the edge of Harley's lips as he remembered her face.

"This is not a really good choice of work," she mumbled to herself as they walked behind him.

Diggie left the two of them in the office which was not very helpful for Lylia knew that something bad was about to happen in no time. She knew too well how devilish he was.

Sitting on his swivel chair, Harley motioned her to sit which she obliged to, she had no choice to begin with.

"Who would have thought that we'd see each other again after almost five years of no contact?" he stated which Lylia responded with an awkward smile and a nod.

"Get this over with, stupid!" she thought.

"So, did you apply here because I was the one managing it?" he asked which almost caused her to explode like a time bomb, but she still endured.

She smiled and replied, "No, I just got to know that you are the CEO yesterday."

Harley just nodded, not believing her answer. Still he continued to speak, "So why did you want to work here?"

Before Lylia could even answer his question, he spoke yet again.

"Is it because you are hoping that we would get back together? Or are you hoping that I'd fall for you for real this time?"

Lylia was left speechless for such thoughts had never ever crossed her mind after getting fooled by him. She was not a desperate woman to come crawling back at him. She was never that kind of girl. Furthermore, he was not the only man in the world.

"If such was your intention, I am afraid that it is not possible–"

This time, it was Harley's turn to be speechless and dumbfounded. Lylia was staring daggers at him and she was holding a bottle of water that was already filled in half after splashing the other half right on Harley's face. Her face was red in anger, her teeth gritted and to vent out the remaining anger inside her, she threw the bottle right on top of his desk.

"You haven't changed a bit. You are still full of yourself," she scoffed. She grabbed her bag and faced him with glaring eyes.

"I would never crawl back to you. You know why? Because you are nothing but a pure foolish, jerk!" she yelled before turning her back on him. And before she could even shut the door, she exclaimed, "I'd rather be jobless than work under your company, stupid!"

After saying such, she slammed the door shut and walked away.

"She has changed a lot," Harley stated, running his fingers on his wet hair.