The Twilight Goddess 2

"How many times do I have to tell you to do your work on time?!" Selene yelled at her now grown up daughter, Lunox.

"But mother, the star of Polaris still shines in the morning," Lunox defended herself. Her short, pale golden hair seem to glimmer under the light.

"Even so! No matter what happens, never cross path with your father!" Selene burst. She promised, she promised herself that Helios won't ever see their daughter.

"Why, mother?" Lunox asked with a low tone of voice. Her eyes reflecting the sadness for never in her entire life had she seen her father.

"The moment you stay out too long when the sun comes out, who would save you if you fall when you sleep?" Selene asked instead of answering the question of her daughter. They argue once in a while and every time she throw that question, Lunox could not rebut.

Unable to speak anymore, Lunox rushed to her room and nuzzled herself to the comfort of her bed. She closed her eyes and saw herself working at night. Her mother would let the moon shine to give light to the humans below Olympus. But when her mother is on an important errand, it is her duty to go out at night and give light to the countless stars that the humans love seeing.

She only could see the sun rising and behind that is her father, Helios, riding his chariot to cross the sun across the sky and let the people work by day. But before she could see him, she would rush back home before her consciousness would escape her body.

"Why am I cursed?" she mumbled to herself. Her tears were slowly damping her porcelain skin. By night, she could go anywhere she wants to go but she cannot see her father for he would be resting. By day, she would be in her bed, unconscious and in deep slumber, until the sun sets. Wide awake when the moon is up yet a sleeping beauty when the sun is shining.

Selene entered the room of her daughter and as she sat down by the edge of the bed, she wiped off the tears that fell from her eyes. Though it pained her to see how vulnerable she is during the day, it was the only way she thought that would separate Lunox from Helios. She brushed her hand on the silky hair of her daughter that seem to shine like her father whenever she is awake at night.

"I'm sorry, child," were the the only words she could say before kissing her on the forehead.

When Lunox finally woke up at night, her mother had already left and went to work. She was once again left at home alone. After eating some ambrosia, she decided to visit the god of prophecy, Apollo. He was a friend of hers and this time, she wanted to know what is ahead of her.

"Apollo!" she yelled as she entered the garden filled with greenery and flowers and trees and birds.

"What is it, Lunox?" Apollo asked with a hoarse voice while lying down on the grass with his head leaned on his folded arms.

Lunox sat beside him and yanked him to sit down.

"What is my future?" she asked directly which made Apollo roll his eyes and went back to have his nap. He shooed her away but Lunox knew how to deal with him so she proposed a bargain.

"I have seen the new emperor of Rome, Nero. He's got those big muscles, perfect abs, luscious lips and chiseled jaw. He is a man sculpted by the gods, Apollo. A man that would make you fall," she enticed him and it worked just the way she wanted it.

Apollo rose from his nap and faced her. His promise to Selene to never mention about the truth crossed his mind. Yet he wanted to see Nero with the help of Lunox, he will spill a bit of the beans.

"Look here, fake gold," Apollo started, "simply think, what would you do if you have a twin sister?"

Lunox blinked for a while for she cannot comprehend what Apollo was trying to tell her. But to answer his question, she replied, "I'd love to hug her."