S4 Chapter 13

Five Hours Earlier

Todoroki really did try and calm himself down through class but just the idea of Amari being hurt was driving him absolutely insane. All he wanted was for Deku to tell him that she was alright, that was it. He didn't need to know about the case or the state of the mission, all he cared about was knowing that she was safe, and it seemed the boy couldn't give him an answer.

In fact, it was strange because it seemed like Deku was avoiding the question all together. Was it really that hard to say that she was alright? No, there was something off about this whole thing, something that his friend was hiding. That was what was making him go crazy.

Knowing he wasn't going to get anywhere with Deku, as soon as the class bell rang Todoroki tried a different approach. He wasn't the only one doing hero studies after all.

He walked up to Kirishima before tapping the boy on the shoulder only for his face to drop in fear. Why did he seem nervous to see him? "O-Oh hey man! What's up?"

Noticing the change in tone, Todoroki looked toward his red haired classmate before speaking plainly. "Is everything alright? You seem nervous about something..."

Kiri just laughed at that, maybe a little too quickly though before slapping his hand on the boys back loudly. "What, it's nothing. I'm just worried about that test coming up, you know? I hate studying.."

He laughed again and Todoroki eyes narrowed in skepticism. "But there are no tests in the coming weeks, at least none that I know of."

The boy's face dropped again before being saved by Uraraka who jumped between the two before giving Kiri a knowing look. "Well, you can never be too careful right? Kiri and I were just talking about making a study group, that's all."

She laughed as well at the idea and Todoroki realized that they were getting off topic. "Have you two heard anything about Amari? I can't seem to reach her and..."

Although his question was cut off when Kiri answered for him, rather loudly in fact. "W-What, nah man she's fine, great actually! Totally not in any danger at all, not in the slightest!"

At that, Uraraka slapped a hand over her friend's face in a panicked gasp before fake chuckling at his joke. "Oh Kiri, you're so funny with your jokes. You better stop that or you're going to worry the poor boy, right?"

She then silently glared at the red haired boy before nodded back as she removed her hand. "Uh yeah, sorry about that. I got a little carried away with that one. Ha ha.."

Todoroki eyed his two classmates with slight anxiety. He didn't know a lot about social interaction given he was always kept by himself as a child, but it sounded like they were lying to him. "Why would you even say that kind of thing as a joke?"

The two thought for a moment before Uraraka replied back nervously as she jabbed the red haired boy in the arm.. "Yeah Kiri, why would you even say that? Of course Amari is fine, she's with Endeavor."

Ah there it was, the one sentence that made his stomach toss and turn with uncertainty. Was that everyone's response? Just because she was with his father didn't mean she was safe in the slightest, in fact it doubled her chances for danger. "Then why are you two hiding something from me? What's going on?"

A small bit of silence entered the room then before they two were saved by the lunch bell. In a flash of lightning, Uraraka and Kiri then quickly packed up their things before the girl smiled back apologetically. "Oh, would you look at the time! Gotta go get some lunch! See you Todoroki!"

The two raced out of there before Todoroki could even open his mouth, instead being forced to watch them go so suddenly. He talked with them to ease his worry but it seemed the feeling had only doubled now.