Chapter 12

Warning: Dark Themes.

Falling to the floor, seven year old Amari heaved out a shaky breath, feeling her small hand grasp her chest in desperation. It had been a couple months since she moved to America and ever since then she had tried to make herself stronger, sneaking out to run everyday, although her health wouldn't allow it.

She then recalled her brother and how he walked away from her that day, now gaining the strength to shakely get to her feet. It seemed even running was an issue for her.

Amari turned to try again when a voice stopped her, seemingly curious. It was deep and male. "What are you doing out here? Aren't you supposed to be back inside?"

Turning her head back to the man, she knew she couldn't give up yet. "Please let me stay. I have to get stronger."

He eyed her shaky legs and smirked. "I overheard that's not possible. You just weren't meant to be a hero little one. Face it."

Amari thought for a moment before narrowing her eyes, and the man found a newfound determination in them, watching her take a step closer even though she was hurt. "I don't care. I'll make it possible. I have to.."

Her voice trailed off and the man watched her utter strength and stubbornness radiate around the space. Even though she was a child, her eyes were filled with a burning fiery passion to complete her goal. The man had never seen that look on a child's face before. It made him even more interested, peeking his curiosity.

She looked promising.

Leaning forward, he spoke evenly and smooth, stopping the girl in her tracks. "What if I told you that I could help you?"

Amari turned her head back, not understanding. "How? Are you going to cure me?"

Shaking his head, the man just chuckled. "Well no, unfortunately I can't do that much. Although, I can give you the strength you need to be even with your brother, to have him acknowledge you. That's what you want, right?"

The small girl brushed off her skirt, and thought about this for a moment, another question coming to mind. The Doctors in Japan told her that there was nothing they could do. "You can do that?"

Nodding his head, the man continued. "Yes, although I'll warn you. The path we are speaking about is not an easy one. The weak hearted will not survive. You will need your strength more than ever."

Amari looked down at her hands and thought about her options. This was the first time someone had told her that there was hope, that she could be a hero. She wondered if she really had this "strength" that he was talking about.

But then Amari remembered Katsuki. He would be strong, he was Bakugo after all. That made her decision obvious. Of course she would do it. "If it will make me stronger, I don't care what it is. I'll do it."

The man took in her words before smiling, his eyes having a dark gleam to him. She could be the one, the success he was looking for. "Excellent."

--------------------------------------

Todoroki watched Amari's motionless body that was sprawled across his lap, brushing the hair from her face carefully. He had so many bad feelings about the situation they were in but he also knew that he would protect her if this "doctor" was bad news.

The car stopped and the man put out his cigarette before turning back to the two. "We're here. You gonna stay there all day or what?"

Todoroki looked out the window and found himself in front of an abandoned warehouse. The building itself was red in color with spray paint covering the windows. This didn't help his worry.