ninety-seven

Minho throws his stuff in the back. Gets into the car. Calls Jisung.

He has left him with Hyunjin. Jisung had told him he can stay alone.

But Minho has been out all day. He had a few meetings for work. Then, because his brother lives close... he knew he had to visit him too. It's been long since he'd last seen him.

Jisung finally answers the phone. "Hello...?" He sounds sleepy. Yet it's only seven. Too early. Jisung's been a bit of a night owl recently.

"It's me, Sungie," Minho says. "How are you?"

There's a clatter. A squeal. Jisung has definitely dropped his phone.

"Minho!" Jisung says. "Hyunjin! Hyunjin, it's Minho— How are you! Are you okay? Are you finished with work? Are you coming home now?"

Minho laughs. "I'm good, and yes, I'll be on my way soon—"

"Did you see your brother? Did you see the kids in his daycare? Did you take pictures? Did you talk about me? Were they mad?"

"Wha— no, they were happy, of course, Jisung."

"Okay," Jisung breathes. "Did you eat dinner? Are you hungry? Should I go home and cook ramen?"

"Oh no, Sungie. I'm fine and yes, I ate— I won't get home for another three hours, so please don't go anywhere and don't cook anything."

"Oh," Jisung says. Dejected.

"We can have ramen tomorrow," Minho says. "And hey, are you alright? Is everything okay?"

"Um... yeah? W-Why are you asking?"

"I just want to make sure. Did you meet your Mama Haeun?"

"Yeah... and I went to the park with Kkami..."

Minho frowns. He sounds a bit down. "Sungie, did anything happen? Is there... anything you want to talk about?"

Jisung's silent for a brief moment.

"Um, no... I mean, nothing really happened and I'm okay and I want to tell you many things, but not on the phone!"

"Aw, how come?"

"You're tired and you have to drive sooo loooong and I don't want to make you late! You should get home first!"

"Okay." Minho smiles. "Then will you tell me when I get home?"

"Oh, nooo," Jisung says. "No, nope— You have to rest! You have to tell me about your day! I'll tell you about my day tomorrow!"

Minho's a little worried. But he's easily worried. So he sighs.

"Okay, I guess I can wait..."

"Yeah— oh, Hyunjin! There you are! Did Kkami go poop?"

Barks start in the background.

"Why are you mad at me because you can't poop! Stop it— hey, Hyunjin, can you take me home because— Kkami, sit! I'm talking!"

The barks get louder. But Minho can still hear Jisung. 

"Hyunjin, listen, Minho's coming— Kkami, maybe you can poop if you're nicer— Hyunjin, I need to go home now!"

"Wait, Jisung? Sungie, are you listening?"

"Kkami, be quiet! I'm talking to— no, hey! That's my phone!"

"Minho?" Hyunjin's voice comes in.

"Oh, hey sorry Hyunjin. I'll come pick him up, okay? You don't have to drop him off."

"Okay, sure— Kkami, be a good boy now. Jisung, why do you have to remind him he's constipated—"

His voice is cut off too. Jisung's rapid breathing fills Minho's ear. He seems to be running.

"Minho! Hyunjin will take me home— what? You won't? Minhooo, he says he won't!"

"Sungie, just stay there and I'll pick you up."

"B-But Kkami's not my friend anymore and he's mad at me because he hasn't pooped and he's so— so vicious!"

"Well... just try to be patient... please."

There's a thud. Jisung breathes loudly again. The barks sound quieter.

"Okay," Jisung whispers. "I'm hiding in the closet now so Kkami can leave me alone. I'll wait for you. I love you. Bye."

To be continued...