seventy-three

Jisung sneezes. Sniffles. Coughs. He feels tired.

Minho can't take him anywhere. He brings Jisung hot food. Drinks. He lets him stay in bed. Minho has to drag a side table. His drawing materials. To sit by the bed. He works there.

Jisung slept soundly last night. Mostly.

He stirred a few times. Gasped once. Breathed rapidly. Minho heard. Held him securely. Got him back to sleep. Then he was fine.

But Jisung woke up with a headache. He still wanted to do everything. To wash up. Get dressed. Help Minho with breakfast. Eat in the kitchen.

After doing all that... it was too much. Minho helped him back to bed. Gave him more medicine. Told him to rest.

- - -

- - - - - -

"Minho..." Jisung says. Whimpers.

Minho looks up. He has almost finished the whole chapter.

"Yes? You're up? How are you feeling?"

"Very thirsty..."

"One moment."

"Nooo..." Jisung says. Grabs his sleeve. "Put the thing on me... What if I leave? I don't want to run away..."

"But how am I going to get you water?"

"No, to the bed..." Jisung says.

Minho gets the handcuffs out of the drawer.

He finds a way to cuff Jisung to the bed.

"There. Is that okay? Does it hurt?"

"No," Jisung says. "Thanks."

"Wait here. I'll be quick." Minho stands. Gets a pitcher of water. Places it on the bedside. Helps Jisung drink half a glass.

"Thank you," Jisung says. "Oh. Are you working?"

"Yeah, I was."

"Oh... I'm sorry..."

"No, how's your throat?" Minho feels his face. "You're not too warm. I don't think you have a fever."

Jisung holds his arm. "Can you hug me?"

Minho has to free his hand. Then he shifts onto the bed. Pulls Jisung close. Wraps his arms around him.

"Tell me what's the matter, Jisung."

"I don't know... I have so many dreams... people... faces... places... it's like a jigsaw puzzle... I don't understand anything..."

Minho kisses his head. Breathes the scent of his hair. "Let's understand it together," he says. "You said... there is someone you call mother?"

"No..." Jisung says. "I see her... and she says, you can call me mother. She looks down at me... maybe I was small?"

Minho frowns. "Is she standing?"

"Yes... It's different than Mama Haeun's house or... anything like here... it feels like a long time ago... her clothes are different..."

Minho takes in a deep breath. 

"So... Mrs. Hwang said that... the place you went to... where I found you, turned into a mannequin, that was a village around two hundred years ago... maybe that's what you're dreaming about..."

"A village?" Jisung says. Raises his head.

"Hyunjin said it was Hanok... or something like that..." Minho says. Observes Jisung's wary eyes. They look faraway. Then fill up with tears.

"Jisung?" He says. Cups his face. "What is it? You're supposed to stay with me. I love you— don't go, don't let that hurt you. Please."

Jisung takes in a breath. "Minho... It feels like... I know it..." He whispers. Closes his eyes. Lays his head on Minho's shoulder. "Tell me more..."

Minho's afraid to. But he does. He tells him everything. That he's learned from Hyunjin. From Mrs. Hwang. 

- - -

- - - - - -

"Helen...? and Kyungseo...?"

"Yeah. Mrs. Hwang said that. And she also mentioned..."

"Their store... Lenseo..." Jisung's voice is soft. Weak.

"It all feels... familiar," he whispers. "Like I know... but I can't match their faces... a-and I feel so... scared."

"Of what, Sungie?" Minho says. Hugs him closer to his chest. "I'm here. You're here too. This is your life now, okay?"

"Just think of the present. With me. The Hwangs. I'm waiting until you're better so you can meet my brother. He'll love you so much."

"Are you sure he will?"

"Yes," Minho says. Smiles. Places a long kiss on his lips. "It's sad. And we don't know what happened in your past... but that's the thing..."

"It's in the past..." Jisung mumbles.

"Yes. There's nothing you and I can do to change it or make it better or... or take you back there to the people you knew. It's always going to be in the past. It's hard for you, I know. I'm sorry... you're not there, you can't be, but you're here, where I want you and need you..."

Minho's feeling desperation again. To make it clear to Jisung. So that he doesn't chase whatever's in his memories.

He can't lose Jisung...

"A-And you're the one giving me love," Jisung says. Looks up. Touches his cheek affectionately.

"Because you deserve love and happiness, Jisung."

"No, you deserve that more..."

"Then please stay with me," Minho begs. "Stay human... stay here, for me... I'll give you all the love I have, for my whole life..."

"I want to," Jisung says. He hugs Minho's neck. "I will. For you, Minho. You give me your love and I'll give you all of mine. Okay?"

Minho chuckles. His eyes are tearful.

"Okay, Jisung. Thank you... I love you."

To be continued...