twenty-seven

Jisung's eyes are still open. And that is crushing Minho.

If Jisung's eyes were closed... even if he's sitting like this... curled and tight... then Minho could at least think: he's sleeping.

But this way it's different. It shows. Jisung turned into a mannequin out of fear. Out of... not wanting to get hurt.

He wasn't expecting to get hurt... by Minho.

"Baby," Minho says. His voice is low. Raspy. He's been crying for over a day. It's too painful to handle. "Please come back."

He's scared. Because Jisung might not turn human. Might not come back. He really... didn't mean to hurt him.

He wipes his eyes. Leans close. Kisses the mannequin's hard lips. He gets to his feet. His head spins. He almost falls.

He asks for extensions. Some time off. He sounds terrible on phone. His editor's concerned. But agrees. Gives him as much time as he needs.

Minho thanks her. He's tired. Anxious.

He calls Hyunjin. Asks him to come over. His friend gets extremely worried too. He says he'll be right there.

- - -

- - - - - -

Minho has managed to wash up. A little. But he easily cries when passing by Jisung. Each time. So he knows he looks bad.

"Minho!" Hyunjin says. Grabs his arm. "What happened to you?"

It's hard explaining it to Hyunjin. Minho can't get many words out. He keeps crying. The other's very worried.

"Minho... has work been getting to you? Why don't you take time off? You've been keeping to yourself a lot, lately... you know you don't do well alone. Why don't you go see your brother?"

Minho shakes his head. Alone? He hasn't been alone. Well, maybe he will be alone now... Tears fill his eyes.

"Hyunjin," he says. "Tell me about your grandmother..."

"My grandmother? W-What? Minho... do you miss... your parents?"

Minho smiles. It's been a long time. He does miss them. But not as painfully... crushingly... as when he was younger.

"Do you want to stay with my mom and I?" Hyunjin asks. HIs voice is soft. Warm. Calming. Comforting.

"T-Tell me about your grandmother, please," Minho says. "How was she like before? W-Was she happy?"

Hyunjin frowns. He thinks Minho must really miss his family.

"Well, she was already widowed before I was even born. Dad... used to tell me she stayed by herself. Didn't like company."

"But... she got even worse after my dad passed away. He died of a heart attack. It was so sudden. He was very healthy..."

Oh shit. "T-That must've been... hard for her..."

"Yeah..." Hyunjin pats his back. Strokes his hair. "Anyway, Minho... do you want me to stay with you for a few days?"

Minho shakes his head. "H-Has she said anything else? About... the mannequin? Or Jisung?"

"Actually, I wanted to speak to you about that." He looks around the living room. Sees the empty mannequin stand. "Hey, where'd it go?"

"What did you want to speak to me about?"

"Ah... mom called me saying grandma was asking about me. So I went to see her, and she asked if I'd seen... Jisung? I'm so confused. I wonder if the artist was a friend? Or a lover? She sounded mad at him first..."

Minho gets to his feet. His head spins again. He has closed the door of his bedroom. But he can't. He can't not see. Not check. If Jisung is back.

"Where are you going?" Hyunjin says. Supports him.

"Tell her you have seen him." Minho moves along with Hyunjin. To his bedroom. "Tell her... he misses her. He's sad. He must've gotten scared... when your father died."

"He's scared of hurting others. Or being hurt. He needs to be loved and cared for. Or h-he... he turns back..."

He opens his bedroom. Ignores Hyunjin's confusion.

"A-And he... doesn't turn human again."

He holds a sob. Shows Hyunjin the mannequin.

"W-What... Minho, how did you get it here?" Hyunjin says. Walks around the room. Crouches in front of the mannequin.

"It's sitting like this? Wow. When I was bringing it out of the attic, I was so careful. How'd you get to bend its limbs? Its eyes..."

"I didn't do anything. It moves. It comes alive. He's the sweetest thing. B-But I scared him. I hurt him. I don't know what to do."

Hyunjin stares at him. He's alarmed. Minho knows. He's not just worried now. He's afraid for his sanity. 

"Hyunjin." He sits in front of the mannequin. "L-Look at him."

"He needs love to stay alive. B-But he thought I didn't want him anymore. That I didn't love him. I... I pushed him. He thought I was going to hurt him." Minho sobs. "Now he won't come back..."

"W-What?" Hyunjin touches his shoulder. Then his arm. "Come on, Minho. Come stay with me for a few days. I-I think... you've been stuck at home for too long—"

"No. I know I seem crazy, but believe me!"

"Uh, then... I'll call your brother, okay?" He rubs his back gently. "I'll go make you some coffee and—"

"No." Minho grabs his arm. "Please, Hyunjin."

"P-Please what? Um, have you eaten today? Have you slept? You need to take care of yourself and you need someone with you—"

"I d-don't. I'm okay now. When I have him... I'm okay."

Hyunjin throws a fearful look. At the mannequin. He gulps.

"Please," Minho says. He's desperate. "Please just tell your grandma. Jisung is here. Tell her you have seen him. See what she tells you."

"If she wants to see him, please bring her here. M-Maybe... maybe Jisung can feel her presence. Hear her voice. Maybe he can turn back."

Hyunjin is pale. He pats Minho's hand. "Okay... I will do that. Just.... can you get up and eat something? Come on."

Hyunjin's not persuaded. Minho can see. But he gets up nonetheless and lets Hyunjin take him to the kitchen.

"Don't call my brother," Minho says. Hyunjin has grabbed his phone.

"Please, Hyunjin. Not now. I'll eat. And sleep. You can stay with me, if it makes you worry less. But just tell your grandma about Jisung. Okay?"

Hyunjin's eyes are wide. He nods. Slowly.

With everything that's happening right now, he's starting to think that... Minho might have a loose screw in the head.

To be continued...