forty

Minho asks the Hwangs. About Jisung visiting everyday.

They're pleased. But it takes a while for Minho though. To get used to it. That hour or more of separation. But then he realizes... he needed this.

He can use this time for himself. So he makes slight changes to his schedule. For meetings or workout days. He matches them with the times Grandma Hwang could see Jisung.

"Remember, tell Mrs. Hwang you only have about an hour—"

"So she doesn't ask me questions and lets me go straight to Mama!"

"Yes, good, and if she asks you anything—"

"I don't talk about being a mannequin because she won't understand and she could get really worried!"

"Y-Yeah, and if she asks about what you do—"

"I am Minho's art model and assistant!"

Minho laughs. "Yes, you got it."

"I'm gonna read to Mama Haeun today!"

Minho glances at the book held to his chest. He's checked twice. To be sure it's not one of his works.

"Are you going to kiss me like in that movie?"

"Sorry?" Minho says. Closes the car door after Jisung. Takes his hand. Accompanies him to the Hwangs' door.

"Like in that movie," Jisung says. Smiles. Swings their hands. "They kiss at the door every time they separate."

Minho chuckles. Adorable. He doesn't know what movie.

Maybe Jisung watched it before. In those days when he'd still turn back to mannequin. When Minho needed him occupied as his hours got longer. So he could get some work done too.

"I can," Minho says. Pauses in front of the Hwangs' door. "But first, can you give me a kiss?"

Jisung squeals. Pulls Minho's face closer. Presses a loud kiss on his mouth."Mmmmmwah!"

"Thanks," Minho says. Smooches him too. "I love you. I'll come pick you up in about an hour and a half, okay? You have the phone I gave you?"

"Yes!" Jisung pulls it out of his pocket.

"Good, this will ring. Then I'll come to the door."

Minho gives him another kiss. "Bye, Sungie."

"Bye bye! See you later!"

Since the first week... Minho's been leaving before Mrs. Hwang could open the door. It's because... he wants to avoid any talk. They'll ask why he's not visiting. When he can come for dinner. For a cup of coffee.

He doesn't want questions. About Jisung. Grandma Hwang. Himself.

Jisung's tearful whenever Minho picks him up. Mrs. Hwang seems sorry.

The reason Jisung gets tearful is because...

Grandma Hwang still gets upset... when he has to leave.

Jisung's sad too when they get home. But day by day... he doesn't cry as badly. So Minho thinks it's okay. Thinks everything is getting better.

"Jisung, is this the one you tried last time?" Minho says. He's holding up a box of cereal. They're out grocery shopping. Jisung's been going outside more. Because he can stay alive all day. So this feels safe.

Jisung nods happily. Pushes the shopping cart back towards him. He's always too excited when they shop. Too curious.

Minho quickly holds his arm. Before Jisung can wheel too far. "Not too fast, okay? I don't want you getting lost... always stay with me."

"Oh, I'm sorry," Jisung says. Slows down. "Would you make my phone ring if you lose me? Would it help you find me again?"

"Yes, that's a good idea, but let's make sure we won't need to do that."

Jisung nods. Serious. "Okay. I don't want to make you worried."

Minho stops. Smiles. Kisses his cheek. "I love you..."

"Me too! I love you so much!"

"Thank you, Jisung. Now, where's that bear honey jar you wanted..."

"Oh! Oh! The really cute one? I remember where— can I show you?"

Minho laughs. "Yes, hold my hand and lead the way..."

To be continued...

IT'S OUR FINAL WEEK OF CLASSES OMFG. I CAN FINALLY REST AND ACTUALLY GET MORE THAN 3 HOURS OF SLEEP.