ninety-five

"Hyunjin was telling his mom about how I had gone shopping and that I wanted to drive one day," Jisung starts. "So Mama Hwang talked about all the papers I need and how it was going to be complicated."

"She was showing me some of her documents a-and  I didn't understand how I couldn't just make one like that too... so I just did it..."

"You... did what exactly?" Minho asks.

"I... I changed the papers..." Jisung says. "It had my name... Then they noticed and... Mama Hwang started asking me questions... and Hyunjin told her... about the incident with the ball."

Jisung pouts. "I was so scared but... she asked if I can try changing the paper back because she needs it. She brought me another blank one— Mama Hwang wanted to know if... if I could copy it and make it the same, but with my name and some new information. So... I don't know, I just did it because it didn't seem hard..."

"Hyunjin told me it looked very real."

"Oh..." Jisung says. "I t-thought that's all I needed to do but... they said they have to get it registered or something... with the government... and then I'd be a real person because... if someone ever checks my papers and finds out they aren't real... there would be problems?"

"I didn't understand everything they talked about... but I got excited because I wanted to live like everyone else... Mama Hwang said she knows someone who works at a ministry office, and she said we can go and try to ask them for help..."

Jisung wrings his own hands. His voice has started to quiver.

"W-We wanted to tell them t-that my information should be there in... their records and maybe there w-was a mistake and someone removed it by accident... B-But then the guy asked me questions... and I didn't understand what he was asking me so... so I made him stop..."

Minho inhales softly. "How... did you make him stop?"

"I... I don't know... I just did it... and noticed after. Because he stopped talking and signed some papers and... put something in the computer... then Mama Hwang talked to me later."

"She told me that we got lucky... b-but I didn't want to lie... so I had to tell her that... I might've influenced him. But I didn't plan to do it... It just... happened so fast..."

Minho breathes deeply. Takes his hands. "I believe you. Hyunjin said that his mom talked to her friend again and he was fine. It seemed to be a minor thing that you did, and it didn't affect him at all."

"But... it's bad. It's scary. I shouldn't do things like that... right? And I don't like that I did it... what if he finds out? What if he tells people? What if they come for me too... and hurt me?"

"Oh no," Minho says. He hugs him. "No one will come for you. We'll protect you. I'm sorry that you had to do this and... it would've been great if we could've done it without the need to push that man into it."

"But you know, Mrs. Hwang and Hyunjin said you made everything easier. I know you don't like it and I don't either, but you didn't actually hurt anyone and you had no bad intentions. We know the guy's okay."

"Also, the Hwangs didn't need to go through lengthy means to get your papers authenticated, so you've been helpful. It can be a very hard process and some people sometimes need to lie or pay a lot of money for it or get in trouble."

"Actually, I was worried about how we could do that for you because I really wanted you to live like a normal person. But now you've done it all and we've got the necessary documents— so you won't need to do anything like that again."

Jisung's briefly silent. Sniffling.

"B-But what if I use my powers a-and I don't know I'm doing it? It's scary that I used these powers three times now... What if the next time, I make something bad happen and I don't mean to?"

Minho hums. Strokes his back. That's troubling him too.

"Hmm. I personally don't think you would. Now that you know you could, and that it can happen, I really believe you'll be more careful. You can learn how to... um, do whatever it is to help you. You can try here if you want, at home, where you're safe."

"What if... it's something dangerous?"

"I trust you," Minho says. Sincerely. "You haven't done anything dangerous and you're so afraid of it that... I know you can do your best to avoid it, Jisung. And I'll be right here to help you."

To be continued...