fifty-six

Mrs. Hwang has a frown on her face. She's concerned. Confused.

Hyunjin said something to her too. Before she and Minho left.

Minho knows it was about him. He can tell.

Probably so Mrs. Hwang won't let him out of her sight.

But Minho doesn't care about that.

He lets Mrs. Hwang drive. The woman stops where Minho asks. And Minho lets her follow him everywhere.

They've been through all the streets. All the ones Minho's walked with Jisung. They've been to the stores, too.

"Dear... It's getting late..." Mrs. Hwang says.

Minho doesn't follow her to the car. He's tearing up.

Mrs. Hwang stops. She steps back. 

Minho wipes his eyes. He's ready to argue. They still have lots of places to check. He will go around the whole city.

Mrs. Hwang doesn't have to drive him. He'll do it himself.

But Mrs. Hwang's not looking at Minho. She's frowning at her phone. Then looks up. Around. At all the street signs in the light.

She takes Minho's arm. "Get in the car, dear. I got a message. Jisung might've gone into a store... It's a little farther away from here..."

Minho gasps. Clutches her arm. "Where— Is he okay?!"

Mrs. Hwang opens the car door for him. "We'll go see, dear."

- - -

- - - - - -

"Yeah... I've been here before..." Mrs. Hwang murmurs. She's driving through slowly. "Ages ago. It's not... the same... as it used to be..."

Minho stares around in fear. It's not a little farther away... It's hella far away. It would take hours to go here on foot.

The place where they stop... is a small convenience store.

The buildings around are old. Run-down. They have long dark shadows. Some have dull lighting. Others have blinking lights.

"Let's go in and ask.." Mrs. Hwang says.

Inside... There's just an old man behind the counter.

He's watching a small TV. Mrs. Hwang greets him. Takes out a folded paper. It's a copy of Minho's sketch.

"Excuse me. Does this man look familiar to you?"

The man takes the paper. Squints his eyes. Nods. "Yeah, yeah... that looks like him. The strange kid yesterday. He just showed up. Didn't say anything. He was totally lost. Then he just walked out."

"Oh... Did you see where he went?"

"No... but I hope back the way he came," the man says. Chuckles. Shakes his head. "Not a good place to be if you're not from here."