twenty-five

Minho wakes the same way as the day before: Jisung is holding his hand. Staring. His eyes show that he didn't sleep.

Everything that Minho learned from Jisung... what he could put together himself... what he must confirm of his suspicions about Jisung...

All of that is pushed aside. Jisung's current state takes priority.

Minho cannot leave him. Cannot let him spend this day sleeplessly too.

"Good morning," Minho says. He kisses his cheek.

Jisung smiles weakly at him.

- - -

- - - - - -

Jisung is... out of order. His emotions are all over the place.

He wants to do things. Yet he can't. He'll drop stuff. Bump into objects. Walls. Corners. And appear to trip on himself. 

Heck, he fell in the bathroom after he took a shower! Then came out sniffling. He was rubbing his hip.

He ignored Minho's questions. He ate breakfast with difficulty. He poured milk half in his cereal... half out.

Jisung apologizes tearfully. Every time he hits something. Drops something. Spills something. Whenever he falls.

He reached for a book... only to topple a dozen over himself. He cried quietly as he put them back. Minho even asked the poor creature to leave them be. To just sit still.

He started being afraid that Jisung will accidentally hurt himself.

Minho wants to help him. With everything. But he realizes that Jisung's tiredness... has made him irritable.

Jisung gets easily annoyed now. He misunderstands Minho's concern. He gets upset. He snaps at Minho. Then notices it's mean. So he apologizes to him tearfully.

Minho's just hurt to see Jisung... like this.

- - -

- - - - - -

Before dinner... Minho gently asks him. To sit down again. He doesn't have to cook. But Jisung's glowering at the potatoes. They'd fallen out of his hands. Minho bends down to pick them up.

"No! I want to do it!"

The sharpness startles Minho. Jisung instantly looks regretful. His eyes tear up. "I'm sorry. I'm really sorry!"

Minho places the potatoes on the counter. Steps closer. He kisses Jisung's cheek. Rubs his back. Takes the peeler from him.

"It's okay. Just sit down, Jisung."

The mannequin staggers. Whimpers. Drops into a chair. Then comes back. He stirs the pot. That Minho left for a minute to simmer.

"Wait, Jisung—"

"I can do it!"

Jisung's hand moves. Too suddenly. The wooden spoon pushes the pot. Its contents spill. They hiss. Smoke. Minho quickly pulls Jisung away. Removes the pot. Turns off the heat.

Jisung stands behind. His hands twist into his own shirt. He's crying again. "I'm... I'm s-sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to..."

Minho sighs. Hugs him. "It's okay. I know." He checks Jisung's hands. He's glad they seem unhurt.

"A-Are you... m-mad at me?" Jisung sobs.

"What— no... of course not. It was just an accident. You didn't mean it. But I want you to just sit down, okay? You're tired, Jisung. Just rest, please. I don't want you to hurt yourself."

"B-But I want to do something. For you. I don't want to fall asleep."

Minho cups his cheeks. Wipes them with his thumbs. Places a long kiss on his trembling lips. 

"You need to, Jisung. See what's happening to you? It'll get worse. Please. Go read a book. I'll get you when the food's ready."

Jisung's eyes fill again. His lips press tightly. Minho knows: he misinterpreted his words. Jisung turns. Runs out of the kitchen.

Minho steps out after him. He sees Jisung with three volumes. He's curled up on the couch. He's reading. Looking almost angry.

He's glaring hard... at the page.

So Minho goes back to the stove. Feels relieved. It's probably best to leave him like that. At least he's finally sitting down.

He cooks quietly. Keeps his phone on the kitchen counter. He canceled meetings. But he's checked his work emails.

There are pages he needs to send. Hyunjin's called him twice. But he can't speak to him now. Maybe after Jisung sleeps.

When he goes to get Jisung... for food... he actually hopes he's fallen asleep. Jisung hasn't, though. He's still there. Still angry reading.

Minho crouches beside him.

Jisung slaps the book shut. Sits up. His cheeks are pink. Minho glances at the cover. Feels the heat travel up to his neck.

He takes Jisung's hand. Pulls him. "T-Time to eat, Sungie..."

- - -

- - - - - -

He's now careful in overhelping Jisung. But the mannequin has become absent-minded too. Food misses his mouth. He stares into space.

So Minho starts feeding him. The mannequin doesn't even notice. That it's Minho holding food for him.

Minho notices a rice grain on the corner of Jisung's lips. He smiles. Gently takes it off.

Jisung's sunken eyes turn. It makes Minho's heart twinge. If only he could close them... rock and sing Jisung to sleep...

The mannequin's cheeks go pink again.

"What is it?" Minho asks.

"N-Nothing!" He says. He picks up his bowl. Only for it to slip right through his fingers. He then bursts out crying.

"It's okay!" Minho says. "It's just on the table! It didn't break!"

To be continued...