forty-one

"Minho..." Jisung whispers.

Minho glances up from his laptop. He's been reading through some work emails. He's seated at the floor. At the coffee table.

Jisung's been awfully quiet. That's often for him now. Whenever they return from the Hwangs. But tonight has felt different.

"Yes, Jisung? Is there anything you need?"

"Can I talk with you before we sleep?" Jisung says. He's sitting on the couch. Hugging his knees.

"Of course you can, Sungie. Is everything okay?"

Jisung nods. But slowly. He seems hesitant.

"You don't have to wait till bed to tell me, Sungie. You can tell me whenever you want. Even right now."

"N-No, I don't want to bother you. You're busy..."

Minho closes his laptop. Stands. Sits with him. "I'm not busy for you. What's wrong? You know you can tell me anything."

Jisung blinks sadly. Sets his chin on his knees. Then his eyes fill up.

"Sungie..." Minho says. Brings his arm around him. "What's the matter?"

"I only saw Mama Haeun... for a short time today. B-Because she got mad at me..." He whimpers. "I don't know what I did, she just... started y-yelling at me... Mrs. Hwang came and she took me out of the room."

"She talked to me later and told me not to cry... she said Mama Haeun's mind is not good and that she's not angry with me... she sometimes doesn't know what she's saying..."

Minho pulls Jisung closer. Wipes his cheeks. Hugs him tightly. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" He murmurs. Feels tearful.

"Minho..." Jisung says. Pulls back from his chest. Sniffs. "Is her m-mind not good because she's sick?"

"Y-Yeah... maybe..."

"D-Did I make her mind become bad?"

"Oh no, of course not." He kisses his forehead. "I think... you're actually helping her, Sungie."

Jisung sniffs again. His eyes redden. Minho kisses him tenderly.

"M-Mama Hwang said that I'm helping her..."

Minho smiles. "Mama Hwang?"

Jisung blushes then. "Mrs. Hwang told me I can call her that..."

Minho hugs him again. He thinks Jisung must've cried a lot.

"That's cute. I think she likes you."

"She... she gave me ice cream..."

"That's so sweet of her. Did you see Grandma Hwang before we left?"

Jisung shakes his head.

"That's okay. You can see her tomorrow."

"D-Do you think she wants to see me?"

"Yes, I do." Minho's eyes tear up. It's sad what Jisung experienced. But he feels happy too. Because Jisung received love and comfort from Mrs. Hwang. That has to be the reason Jisung didn't break down earlier in the day. Or right when Minho picked him up.

"Did you and Mrs. Hwang talk about anything else?"

"Yeah!" Jisung says. Pulls away. His reddened eyes now shine. Show joy. "We talked about you! And Kkami! I told her he hates me! Mama Hwang said Kkami is a spoiled brat!"

"He hates everyone who is not Hyunjin! She said I should try giving him a snack ten times and then he will stop barking at me!"

Minho pinches his cheeks. Kisses them. Then kisses his mouth. "Jisung," he says. To his lips. Pecks them once more. "Isn't it time for our kisses?"

"Y-Yes! Time for our kissesss!"

When Jisung's being pure and fragile... Minho can only kiss him softly. Sweetly. Just with love and care. He feels full and content after. He sees the same feelings on Jisung too.

"I love you, Jisung..."

"I love you too! So much!"

They go to bed the same way. They're relaxed. Happy. In the other's presence. So the next morning...

Minho's surprised. He's instantly concerned.

Jisung's sitting on the bed. His knees are up. His head's buried in them. His hands are pressed on his temples.

"J-Jisung?" Minho says. Sits up. Touches his back.

Jisung raises his head. Blinks. Smiles. It feels off.

"Hi, Minho. Good morning."

"Jisung? W-Why are you up? What's the matter?"

"Oh, um... nothing? I don't know..." He takes in a sigh. Straightens his knees. Stares ahead. "Sorry, Minho. I don't think anything's wrong... but it's just that something feels strange..."

"Strange? How, sweetie?" Minho takes his hand.

"I don't know. I think... it's in my head... is it my mind?"

"Did you remember something?" Minho says. Touches his forehead.

Jisung bites his lip. Frowns. He slowly shakes his head.

"I d-don't remember. Is it possible to remember and then... forget? It feels like there's something in my head..." Jisung shuts his eyes. Rubs his temples. "B-But I can't get it..."

Minho's deeply worried now. Could he be getting sick?

"Jisung, does it hurt?"

"No... unless I try very hard to think—"

"Don't, Jisung. Just leave it. Maybe you need some food and water, and you'll feel normal again. What do you want for breakfast?"

"I don't feel hungry..." Jisung slides down in bed. Blinks tiredly. "I think... I should sleep. Can I sleep, Minho?"

Minho pulls the blanket over him. Kisses his head.

"Yes, you can. Just a moment though, I'm going to get you a glass of water and some medicine, okay?"

"M-Medicine? Like Mama Haeun?"

"Oh, no— this is just if you're getting a headache. But if you don't want it, you don't have to."

"I want to sleep..." JIsung whispers. His eyes close. Stay closed.

"Okay..." Minho places a kiss on his forehead. "You can sleep..."

To be continued...