thirty-eight

"Mama Haeun!" Jisung repeats.

Mrs. Hwang is confused. "W-What—"

Minho gently moves her back. "He knows her," he tells her. Calmly. His heart's beating fast. "It's okay. They're friends."

"Friends?! What? How?"

"Minho," Jisung says. He's sat on the bed. He looks back at them. "Minho, w-what happened to her?"

Minho realizes. He's alarmed at her aged appearance.

"Sungie... it's been a long time..." He reminds.

Jisung turns back to the woman.

"Mama Haeun... d-do you remember me? I didn't remember you first... but Minho helped me and now I remember you and... Mr. Hwang... Are you sad? I'm sad too. I'm sorry..."

He inches closer to her. Touches the yarn. Timidly. "Oh, what are you m-making? Is it a sweater? Do you... do you need help? Oh, look, I'm wearing the shirt you made for me... do you remember? You made it with your sewing machine... do you still have that?"

The old woman is quiet. But her eyes haven't left Jisung. They roam all over him. Then she reaches out. "Jisung?" Her voice is weak.

"Yes, it's me," Jisung says. Sniffles. He carefully puts aside the orange yarn. The needles. He takes her hands. Moves closer. "How are you? D-Do you miss him? I miss him too... I'm so sorry... Have you been lonely?"

Her eyes fill up. "Jisung... where did you go?"

"I didn't g-go anywhere..." Jisung says. "Y-You stopped talking to me... so I couldn't come back..." 

Jisung's crying now. He's close enough to hug her. Which he does when the woman starts crying too.

"W-Why did you leave me, Jisung?"

"I didn't... I didn't want to... I'm sorry..."

Minho blinks hard to keep his tears in. He touches Mrs. Hwang's arm. To take her out of the room. She doesn't seem to want to move.

"They'll be okay," he says. "Let's leave them to catch up..."

"What? Minho, I don't understand... Who is he?"

"A friend," he says. Takes her arm. Slowly leads her out of the room. "He'll take good care of her, don't worry."

They only stay out in the hall. Minho can't move too far away from Jisung either. He's nervous as he hears their voices.

Mrs. Hwang looks extremely concerned. So Minho just holds her arm. Tries to reassure her with smiles and pats.

It feels long... standing here. But Minho starts to worry as their talk goes on. He should be happy. That they're talking. That the woman remembers Jisung. That she hasn't gotten angry or too upset.

But he thinks of Jisung's choice now. Of what would happen. If Grandma Hwang... would want her mannequin back.

His heart's twisting. Would Jisung leave him? 

Would he stay with his Mama Haeun?

He hears Jisung's voice rise. It's that bubbly tone of his again. And he hears his own name. He gulps. Moves closer to the door. He feels Mrs. Hwang come right behind him.

Jisung's still on the bed. His eyes are red. Streaming. He's holding Grandma Hwang in a hug. He notices Minho. Beams brightly.

"Mama Haeun," he says. Rubs her arms. Pulls back. "Look! He's here. You have to meet my Minho!"

Jisung gets up. Skips towards him. Kisses his cheek. Takes his hand. He pulls Minho towards the bed.

"Mama, he gave me so much love that I can even sleep now! And my hair can grow! I love him sooo much. He brought me to you! Because he said that I should talk to you and that you don't hate me!"

Jisung hugs Minho's waist tightly. His cute eyes shine at him. Minho's heart pounds. He turns to the old tearful woman. Smiles a little.

"Hello, Minho..." Grandma Hwang says. Her voice quivers. A tiny smile's on her face too. "Thank you so much for taking care of Jisung... and thank you for bringing him to me..."

Jisung giggles. Kisses Minho's cheek. "Yeah, thank you..."

To be continued...

I was really thinking of letting Jisung turn into a mannequin for a year. But since I am so kind, I decided not to... Well, not now ; )