thirty-five

Jisung's hugging Minho's arm. He's half hiding behind him. They're both on the couch. They're facing Hyunjin. And his dog.

"It's okay," Minho repeats. "Kkami won't hurt you."

Jisung moves a little. Smiles at the little puppy.

Kkami growls. The poor guy squeaks. Hides further.

"Kkami," Hyunjin says tiredly. "Be a good boy."

The little white dog turns docile. Nudges his hand.

"Hyunjin..." Minho says. "I love Kkami but... you know what he's like with Jisung... maybe you shouldn't have brought him..."

"I couldn't leave him with my parents today. He's loud with grandma too and she's already unwell..."

Jisung peeks from behind Minho. "W-Who? Mama Haeun—"

Kkami barks. Jisung grips Minho hard. Covers his face in his shoulder.

"Kkami..." Minho says. Upset. He doesn't want Jisung getting scared. It's making him scared as well. He strokes Jisung's arm.

"I'm sorry, Sungie. Please just ignore him."

Jisung hides himself more.

"Mama... Haeun?" Hyunjin says.

"Oh, she told Jisung to call her that."

Hyunjin looks at Jisung. "You know my grandma?"

"Yes," Minho answers for him. He's worried Hyunjin's tone will hurt him. "I told you... and you agreed... that we should get your grandma to come here, so they can both see each other..."

"That's why you said you wanted to see him first, right?" He continues after a deep sigh. "And that's what you're here for... right?"

Hyunjin removes his hands from Kkami.

"To be honest, I came here to figure out how you fooled me into thinking that's the mannequin I had brought. Is it makeup? Did you create a mask? Where did the actual mannequin go?"

Minho reaches back for Jisung's hand.

"Hyunjin... why would I go to such lengths?"

"Yes, that's what I don't understand. You tell me."

"So you've just been saying... yes and okay to everything... for what? To come here and let me reveal some trick to you? Did you think I was... acting? Or did you think I was going crazy?"

Minho's voice shakes. He's going to cry. But how will Jisung react to that? What if he starts crying? Would he think he's hurting Minho?

"Minho..." Hyunjin says. Uneasy. His dog gets restless too. Looks around. Minho's eyes have teared up. He's not sure what to do now.

He has this man... or the so-called Jisung in front of him. He's alive. Moving. Speaking. But he doesn't believe them.

"Minho's not crazy..." Jisung says suddenly.