thirty-nine

Grandma Hwang's now in the living room. Her hand holds Jisung's sleeve whenever he moves. But Jisung's bright and sweet.

He sticks close to her. Murmurs softly. And sends smiles to Minho. Whenever he notices him looking.

Mrs. Hwang's in the kitchen. She is eyeing the two in the living room. And Minho and Hyunjin. Who have stayed in the hallway.

Hyunjin arrived a few minutes ago. He left Kkami at a dog café this time. And Minho's relieved about that.

"Why'd you come here without me?" Hyunjin whispers.

"I just wanted to get it over with. She's fine with him, see?"

Hyunjin looks back at the two on the sofa. He's suspicious. Still not believing this. "You didn't say anything about him being a mannequin, right? He didn't say that to her, did he?"

"She knows him, Hyunjin. He doesn't need to. And your mom keeps looking strangely at Jisung too... she said he looked familiar..."

Hyunjin's now uneasy. "Well, she's had to take care of Grandma's house to sell it, so she's seen the mannequin a few times. This is really weird, Minho. I don't know what to tell her."

Minho's nervous too. Not just about this. But Grandma Hwang seems to... not want Jisung out of her sight. That's why Hyunjin's mother just let him sit there. Didn't ask him many questions.

"Minho..." Hyunjin says. Touches his elbow. His mother's heading towards them. Minho curses mentally.

Since he noticed how Grandma Hwang has been clinging to Jisung... he has only been thinking of what excuse to use. To get Jisung out of here.

"Minho," Mrs. Hwang says. Puts on a quick smile. "Um, mind telling me where she knows this young man from? I feel like I've seen him, but I just can't recall when and where..."

Minho exchanges a look with Hyunjin.

"I think... he looks familiar to you b-because there used to be a mannequin here that... looked like Jisung?" He says. "Y-Your husband bought it... for Grandma Hwang."

Mrs. Hwang's now staring far ahead. "Ah, I see..." Any mention of her husband gets her all sad. "So, where are Jisung's family?"

"Uh, um, his p-parents have passed away... b-but he visited Grandma Hwang before... when he was younger and... then had to leave for school, so he hasn't seen her for a long time..."

Mrs. Hwang's frown deepens.

"I'm sorry," Minho says quickly. "Jisung and I really have to go now. We, uh, have an... appointment..." He looks at Hyunjin for help.

"Oh," Hyunjin says. Steps aside so Minho will be able to slip past. "You'll come for dinner another time, right?"

"Yes! I just have a lot of work to do a-and I've fallen behind so..." He sees Jisung. Who's still with his Mama Haeun. "Um, I'll go get Jisung now."

Mrs. Hwang blinks. "Oh, yes..."

Minho's heart is beating in worry. He needs to take Jisung and get out. Without problems. He steps quietly in front of the two.