seven

"Listen..." Minho says. "Those books do have things about love, but there's very different kinds of love. You should learn about all of them before you get to that kind of love."

The mannequin's eyes widen with interest.

"There are different kinds of love?!"

"Uh, I'm not really an expert but... I'd say, yes."

The mannequin moves closer to him. Its face is serious.

"Can you please tell me?" It says.

Minho blinks to focus. It's too beautiful.

"Uh... yeah," he responds. He has to keep it away from those books till it has more memories. He doesn't even know why. Maybe he's afraid the mannequin will want that kind of love with him.

"Um, so..." He starts hesitantly. "There's like parents. You know, mom, dad, loving their kids. Family. And there's brothers. Sisters. And friends!"

"Uh... and... maybe a person's interests in things count too? Like what you like to do... drawing, cooking, sports... and what you like—"

"Food!" The mannequin beams at the thought of it.

"Sure," Minho says. "What else do you love?"

"I love when you say nice things about me. And when you give me food."

Fuck. Too cute. "Great! I love seeing you happy and spending time with you. Because I know you'll get more time and memories, which will help you, and we can learn more about each other, right?"

The mannequin nods seriously. "Yes. I understand."

Minho exhales. Good save. But he doesn't know what else to say.

The mannequin's eyes keep staring at him. However, it seems to be thinking to itself. So he carefully goes back to his drawing.

"Minho?" The mannequin says.

"Y-Yes? What is it?"

"Then is my love just... gratitude? I kiss you to thank you. You are kind to me and you care for me. It makes me feel good and I want to show you I appreciate it. I love you more and more because you're nice to me?"

"I... I guess?" Minho replies. Uncertain again. He's a little stunned by its words. There's some wisdom there.

"Okay," the mannequin says. It has a little frown now. Still busy thinking it seems. "Minho. You are very beautiful too."

"Oh... thank you very much."

"You said you don't mind that I kiss you. But did you mean that I don't have to kiss you to thank you? And you said you are single. If you aren't... does that mean I can't kiss you?"

"And you said that people normally kiss people they like. I kiss you and I like it. You said you like it too but... you only kissed me when you hadn't seen me turn human. Is it different now that I'm not just a mannequin?"

Minho stares. The mannequin has been very chatty and thoughtful today. He watches its curious expression. Then he speaks carefully.

"Those are a lot of questions," he says and smiles.

'But I'll ask you one. Do you want me to kiss you?"

The mannequin is quiet. Its eyes are big. It nods. "Yes. I think I do. I want to know how it feels when I'm human. B-But... only if you don't mind."

Minho smiles. So cute. Too cute.

He leans forward. Gives its soft cheek a kiss.

The mannequin touches its cheek. Then its lips.

"What about here?" It says quietly.

Minho's heart skips a beat. He leans in again. Holds its chin. Kisses its soft, pretty mouth. Then pulls away slightly.

The mannequin blinks its eyes open. It smiles adorably. "Thank you, Minho," it says. "I must go now. Goodbye."

Minho feels disappointed. But instantly feels reassured when he sees the time. It's been more than forty minutes.

He hugs the mannequin. "I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yes. I hope so."

- - -

- - - - - -

The mannequin wakes him the next night. It has the biggest smile yet. The shiniest eyes. In fact, it's crying.

"W-What—oh god, what's wrong?" Minho holds its face. He's already hurting for the poor creature.

"Nothing!" The mannequin says. It's smiling. Crying.

"Why are you crying then?" He asks.

"I remembered, Minho! I remember my name!"

Minho's heart leaps in happiness. "What is it?"

"Jisung! My name is Jisung!"

To be continued...