fifty-one

Minho jolts awake. There's a rattling. He gasps. Gets to his feet.

Jisung's trying to get out of the bedroom!

"J-Jisung! Where are you going?!" He yells.

But Jisung doesn't look back at him.

He just gets the locks opened. Pulls open the door—

Minho grabs him. "Jisung, please don't leave me!"

The other's eyes don't look at him. They're staring far ahead.

"Jisung..." Minho holds his hands. "Hey. Can you hear me?"

"Why aren't they coming?" Jisung says.

"Huh? Sorry? W-Who are you talking about?"

Jisung turns. His eyes wander around the room. Then back to the door. "Where are they? Did they put me here?"

"Jisung..." Minho pulls him closer. Puts him on the bed. "P-Please go back to sleep. It's late. No one is here. No one's coming."

"Why?" Jisung says. His eyes connect with his. They're dull.

Minho stares back at him. "B-Because... everyone's asleep now. You must sleep too." He gently pushes Jisung onto the bed. He covers him. Sits beside him. Clasps his arm.

Minho watches him. Jisung slowly drifts to sleep.

The next morning, Jisung wakes up as himself.

He has no recollection of what happened last night.

- - -

- - - - - -

It's a few days later. Minho hurts for the other. Aches to be closer. To give comfort. "Um. Do you want to go out for a walk?" He says. "We can get more of those sour gummies... Your favorite."

He regrets asking. Because Jisung wants to. It shows in his eyes. They blink nervously at the door. But then he hugs his knees.

"N-No. I don't like them anymore," he mumbles. Turns back to the TV. "I don't want to waste your money on something so useless, too."

Minho almost leans over. To kiss him. But he stops. Touches his hair instead. "Don't say that, sweethea— Jisung. I have enough for both of us. Besides, I've been wasting less money since you've been with me."

Jisung turns slightly. To look at him. "Really?"

"Yes," Minho says. He went out a lot before. He'd buy books. Materials he didn't need. Food that he thought he'd eat. Then he'd throw it out. Because he'd forget. But with Jisung... It's not like that anymore. 

Minho has only been getting exactly what he needs. And if he gets anything for Jisung... it's used. Or eaten.

"Okay..." Jisung says. "Maybe... next week..."

"Sure, sweethea—" Minho swallows. Sits. Crosses his arms. "Sure, Jisung." He looks at him. Then smiles. He's adorable...

Jisung bites his lip. Unfolds his legs. Slowly. He moves closer. Carefully slides his arms around Minho. His hand rests on his shoulder.

Minho quivers. He wants to hold him too.

"Minho..." Jisung says. "Is it okay if I hug you? Because t-that's what you told me before... even if you don't hug me or kiss me... I can do it first?"

Minho keeps his tears in. "Y-Yes..."

Jisung sighs. "I know I've made your life hard. I'm sorry... You're the best person. I don't remember a lot of people... but I know you're the best."

Minho's in tears now. "I..." Fuck it.

"I love you, Jisung... I love you so much."

Jisung hugs him tighter. "Me too. I want to love you forever."

Minho eyes him sadly. Forever? Can you?

How long had Minho been worried? He resisted. Tried to use his head. To stay aware. He'd gotten a mysterious mannequin. It had no date. No maker. It turned into a person. Became fully alive. Of flesh. Blood. A beating heart. It had thoughts. Feelings. Words.

It was a beauty. But had no name. No history. No memories. It just needed love. And it changed through it. Grew more human. It remembered. Regained pieces of itself.

Minho had asked himself. Could he love it? Or rather him? Should he? Because there were obviously unknown secrets. There had to be.

It wasn't a wise idea to fall for it. Love it.

Minho knew this would hurt. Both he and Jisung.

But he let it happen. Didn't he? He's madly in love with Jisung now. He can't imagine life without him. He prays he never has to be without him.

Minho's been trying... so hard... again... to hold back.

He's conflicted. Confused. Scared. He doesn't know what's going to happen. But it's up to him. Isn't it?

He wants to be there for Jisung. He should be his support. He doesn't know what's right. But he doesn't want to make it worse.

The worst that can happen to Minho... is losing Jisung. But he will remain himself. He will remain here. He's got his life. His health. Memories. His identity. His work. His people.

Jisung, however... is lost. Was lost. He had nothing. Not even a name. Then he got that. He got memories. With minutes. Hours. Days.

All... through Minho's care and love.

So now, what? Jisung could... gain more?

Or he could lose it all? Just revert back to a mannequin?

If he is very old... at least older than Grandma Hwang... then...

Are all the people and places Jisung saw in his head... gone?

How will he handle that grief when it hits him?

When he remembers? When he understands?

Can't Jisung just remain like this?

Is it wrong for Minho to want that? 

To keep him... as he is?

Yeah... Maybe it is...

To be continued...

Another chapter will be posted shortly. I had to divide this chapter into two parts cuz it was so damn long.