ninety

Minho stands. Stretches his arms. Neck. He's finally finished. He collects his work. Takes it to his desk.

He's always wandering back to the floor. Working on the coffee table. Maybe it's because he wants to be around Jisung.

Minho gets to check his phone. It's half past eight.

He frowns. Jisung's supposed to be home.

Minho texts him: Sungie, are you on your way home?

He texts Hyunjin too: Hey, is everything okay? Jisung was supposed to be home by this time... I'm just worried.

It's Hyunjin who replies first.

'Hey, sorry, I'll bring him in an hour or so.'

Minho stares at the message. An hour? Why?

'I can come get him now,' Minho sends.

'No! I'll bring him! Don't worry. Finish your work.'

Minho feels slightly annoyed.

'I'm finished. I'll come get him.'

With that, he hurries. Grabs his keys.

Then his phone rings. It's Jisung.

"Sungie?" Minho answers. "I'll come pick you up—"

"Minho! C-Can I stay longer? Please?"

"Oh... Um. Okay, I guess... are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah! I'm okay! Um, Mama Hwang wants me for a little longer so... I'll come after. Thanks, Minho! I love you."

The call ends. Minho's staring blankly again.

That was strange. Jisung sounded strange.

Did... Hyunjin tell Jisung to call him? What's happening? Why does Mrs. Hwang want him to stay there longer? Is it for Grandma Hwang?

- - -

- - - - - -

Minho thinks... the only reason he waits... is able to wait... clean up and change... is because Jisung's with the Hwangs.

Jisung's important to them too. To Grandma Hwang. So... if they want some time with him... then Minho can't just drag him away...

But he can't lie to himself... He is a bit restless.

Hours pass by. And it's now past ten.

Minho finally hears the door. He leaps off the bed. Runs to it. Opens it to see Jisung. With Hyunjin. He has an arm around Jisung's shoulders.

"What took you so long?" Minho can't help saying. He reaches for Jisung. Pulls him in. Throws a slightly annoyed look at Hyunjin.

Jisung looks sorry. Uncertain. But tries to smile.

"Sorry," Hyunjin says. "Mom and Grandma wanted some time with Jisung." He smiles at the other. Then Minho. "Okay, good night."

"Yeah... thanks... night..." Minho says. Slowly.

Then he closes the door.

That smile for Jisung... from Hyunjin...

Minho knows it too well. He's received it often.

It's understanding. Encouraging. It's whenever Hyunjin wants to say... I'm here for you... without words...

Minho turns to Jisung. "What happened?" He asks.

"O-Oh, they wanted to talk to me!" Jisung says.

"I'm sorry I'm late!" He gives Minho a quick hug. "Did you finish your work? Are you tired? You worked so hard all day!"

Minho holds him. "I did work hard... so can I get something for that?"

"Yes!" Jisung bounces on his feet. "Do you want cookies? I can give—"

"Oh, aren't you sweet..." Minho kisses him. Touches their noses gently. He murmurs, "Can I have something else, though?"

"Something else? Oh! Do you want my strawberry candy?"

"Hmm, not quite..." Minho holds him in place. Kisses him.

"Well, you can have all of my snacks, Minho!"

"Thank you. But I don't want that."

Jisung remains still now. His excitement's replaced... with confusion. His pretty lips pout. "W-What do you want, then?"

"Let's see..." Minho hums. Pretends to think.

He kisses the adorable pout. "You?"

To be continued...