Chapter 173: Single Out as a Point of Attack

Two days later, Steward Fu sent a detailed investigation result of Princess Yanqing.

Princess Yanqing's mother was Empress Jingxian, the first Empress of Emperor Xiaohui, who died to save Emperor Xiaohui after an assassin invaded the palace. Empress Jingxian was also the niece of the Empress Dowager. Therefore, both the Empress Dowager and Emperor Xiaohui doted on Princess Yanqing, which led to her arrogant and unreasonable personality. This was what Lei Tie told Qin Mian a long time ago after Qin Mian and Lei Tie got to know each other.

Princess Yanqing was now 24 years old and had yet to marry. In modern times, of course, it was nothing, but in this dynasty, she already belonged in the old maid category. The Emperor had chosen seven to eight son-in-law candidates for her, yet she was dissatisfied. Because of Empress Jingxian, it was hard for the Emperor to force her to marry anyone. Thus, she could only continue to be kept in the Palace......

This Princess Yanqing was a discontented person. Qin Mian had finished reading her investigation report for nearly two moments and already knew roughly how things stood. A sneer appeared on his lips.

Lei Tie didn't ask him what his plan was. He said that no matter what his wife did, he would support him. Even if his wife rushed to misfortune, he would peddle him.

The next day, Lei Tie got up early and went to court. He rode to the South Gate of the Palace, dismounted, and threw the reins to his bodyguard.

At this time, there was only a glimmer of dawn in the east. Many ministers of civil and military still had lanterns on their carriages. The ministers got out of the carriages, and those with lower official rank than Lei Tie politely bowed to him.

Lei Tie nodded slightly and said nothing.

The ministers gathered together and whispered among themselves. The words "stepmother", "prison", and so on were vaguely heard.

After entering the Palace, they came to the Hall of Supreme Harmony. All the ministers entered into the hall and gathered together in twos and threes, chatting in low voices while glancing at Lei Tie from time to time.

A good few officials, who had been in the Court with Lei Tie a long time ago, exchanged greetings with Lei Tie in a friendly way. Lei Tie gave a brief reply. These ministers knew his temperament and didn't mind it.

After a while, Eunuch Li's announcement sounded in the hall, "Here comes His Majesty——"

All the ministers quickly divided into two groups of civil and military and stood in the hall. After hearing the Emperor sitting on the Dragon chair, they knelt neatly and shouted out, "Long live His Majesty, absolutely long live!"

"Stand up."

"Many thanks, Your Majesty!"

Eunuch Li announced again, "Present a memorial if there is, adjourn if there isn't——"

The Imperial Guard Commander, Liu Tiande, made a signal to a rank four minister from behind the line of the civil ministers.

The minister immediately stepped out and said, "Reporting, Your Majesty. Your subject heard a rumor about State Defender Duke yesterday. State Defender Duke is the cornerstone of the government, how can he be slandered? Therefore, your subject thinks that investigation ought to be done to give justice to State Defender Duke."

A good few ministers looked at Lei Tie with gloating looks.

Lei Tie remained calm as if the subject of conversation was not him.

"Oh?" Emperor Xiaohui looked very interested, "What is the rumor?"

"Reporting, Your Majesty. It's said that State Defender Duke ordered his bodyguards to send his stepmother to prison yesterday afternoon. A stepmother is also one's own mother. It's unfilial to disrespect one's own mother. How can Defender Grand General of the State do something unfilial?" The minister's face was indignant, outraged by the injustice in Lei Tie's stead.