Chapter 076: Buying People

Qin Mian and Lei Tie planned to fill up the manor with staff. The town's brokerage was too small, and the people they were selling were jagged and lack of basic quality. The two men went to Zhaoyang County Town to survey and stroll around in passing.

The county town and outskirts of town were different. The level of liveliness alone was incomparable to that of Running Water Town. The gate of the county town was full of incoming and ongoing people and an endless stream of horses and carriages. After storing the oxcart at the carriage station, the two men walked into the town. Qin Mian looked at the spacious streets, the beautiful clothes of the pedestrians, and the rows of shops; it was somewhat too much for the eye to take in.

"To Changmen Street? It's lively there." Lei Tie sought his wife's opinion, taking pity on him. It was his little wife's first time to come to the county town, so he ought to let him have fun.

Qin Mian said, "No, let's just casually roam around." As a transmigrator, he only saw the ancient-styled towns and cities on television and in films before. Now that he was personally on the scene, it really perked his interests a bit.

The things in the county town were more exquisite, more upscale, and more diverse than those in the town. Qin Mian animatedly went to a cloth shop, a jewellery shop, an iron shop, and entered a large restaurant. After walking around inside and scanning the food on the table, they came out. The waiter, who had enthusiastically introduced them to all kinds of cuisine until his mouth dried up, gloomily rolled his eyes behind their backs.

Lei Tie had been walking beside Qin Mian in silence. While Qin Mian looked east and west with interest, he looked at the various expressions on Qin Mian's face.

If the waiter also transmigrated, he might be tempted to scold both of them: "Snake spirit disease[1]!"

[1] In online language, "snake spirit disease" is a homophonic (shé jīng bìng) of "neuropathy". Netizens read it as "snake spirit disease" to express the original meaning.

One would not know the other, and Qin Mian by no means would care about what the waiter was thinking. He once again pulled Lei Tie to two snack shops, looking carefully and asking attentively, but he did not buy anything.

Lei Tie could see that he was thinking of some money-making ideas.

After strolling for nearly two hours, Qin Mian asked the owner of a shop the location of the brokerage and went directly with Lei Tie.

The brokerage in the county town was more stylish than in the town and there were many more choices here. As soon as the owner of the brokerage heard that they wanted to buy people, he called all the people out and arranged them into several rows, giving free rein to Qin Mian to choose.

Qin Mian was not used to choosing people like goods, but he had to do so. If he carelessly chose people with health and behavioural problems, it would be troublesome.

He first selected a couple under 40 years old. Their clothes were old and patched, but they were clean and not sloppy. The man was called Uncle Fu, who was healthy and good at farming; the woman was Aunt Fu, who could farm, cook, sew and mend, and make clothes. She could help to wash dishes, wash clothes, and feed chicken in the manor.