Chapter 137: Babies' First-Month Celebration (1)

Lei Tie asked, "The person?"

Lei-Qin Shun said, "Third-gongzi ran away in a hurry, all the while not losing his smile, said to go to other relatives' homes to announce."

"He'd been hoping for a son, it'd be strange if he isn't like that." Qin Mian turned his head and asked Lei Tie, "A-Tie, will their family's washing-third ceremony be a little more celebrated?"

Lei Tie, who was pondering over the matter of cutting trees, raised his head, "More than Wei Shi's."

Qin Mian said to Lei-Qin Shun, "You tell Uncle Fu what we said, he will know what to do."

Lei-Qin Shun understood, "Yes."

That very day on Lei Xiangyi's son washing-third ceremony, Qin Mian and Lei Tie went together, followed by Lei-Qin Le, who was carrying a gift box.

At Lei Xiangyi's house, all the guests had arrived earlier.

The baby's childhood name was Niuniu and he had yet to get a formal name. Lei Xiangyi wanted to wait for Lei Xiangzhi to come back and let him draft the names.

After lunch, the midwife presided over the washing-third ceremony. First of all, an incense burner table was set up outside the labor room to consecrate Goddess Yunxiao, Goddess Cuisheng, Goddess Songzi, Goddess Douzhen, and thirteen other god statues. The censer had to be filled with fragrant rice in replacement of incense ashes to insert incense sticks, under which were pressed ritual money, mock ingots, and other god worshipping tributes. On the head of the heatable-brick bed in the convalescing woman's bedroom laid the offering for the statues of Kang Gong and Kang Mu, three bowls of oil cakes for each deity. After the midwife prayed, she kowtowed three times.

Qin Mian felt very novel and watched on seriously. He always thought the washing-third ceremony was unscientific, so he didn't hold it for his two little babies.

As soon as the midwife held the baby, the ''washing-third'' officially began.

The first to begin was the member of the family in accordance to superiority and seniority, taking the lead to add a small spoon of clean water to the basin and then put some coins or fruits and so on; it was called ''add to the basin''. It was said that the more things added in the basin, the luckier the baby would be in the future. However, the things added to the basin belonged to the midwife.

Qin Mian was very curious about what the few outrageous Lei family members would add. He stood amongst the crowd with the mood of watching with amusement as people made a fool of themselves.

Lei Tie stood shoulder-to-shoulder with him. When he caught sight of his wife's slightly upturned lips, a trace of a smile passed through his eyes.

Lei Daqiang, Du Shi, and Wei Shi were the elders; they were the first to add to the basin. Lei Daqiang put a handful of copper coins into the basin, about 20 of them. Not bad. The midwife smilingly sang a congratulatory speech, "A few brasses, very rich."

When Du Shi scooped a ladle of clean water into the basin without any expression, it was unknown which few guests couldn't restrain from sneering. Du Shi went to glare at them fiercely, but she couldn't find anyone. She lifted the corner of her skirt and sat down heavily on the chair.

The midwife was used to all kinds of scenes, her face remained unchanged and she still cheerfully sang, "Long flowing water, clever and sensible."

While holding Qingqing, Wei Shi put a handful of copper coins like Lei Daqiang.

Lei Xiangren swaggered up, his right hand quickly swept over the water and the water sloshed for a while. There was a glimmer of disdain in the midwife's eyes, believed that others had not seen it – he didn't add anything at all.