Chapter 065: Henceforth, Celebrate the New Year Together (1)

Neither Qin Mian nor Lei Tie looked back as they drove away in the ox cart.

Qin Mian was sure that it was mostly what Lei Xiaoyun said to others that the woman would say those words.

Due to being rejected, Lei Xiaoyun wanted to take out the matter between him and Lei Tie, making them upset. As the saying went, even the emperor had three poor relatives[1]. It was normal for these relatives to try to get along with them and ask for help. But once the goals could not be achieved, these relatives shot cold arrows behind their backs. These relatives were really detestable.

[1] The relatives and friends of the rich are not necessarily all rich.

Lei Tie suddenly said: "Afterwards, no need to come."

"Of course." Qin Mian had no hesitation whatsoever and could not deny his heartache for Lei Tie. Without him, Lei Tie would be lonely now. If these so-called relatives really had feelings, Lei Tie would not have been forced to run away from home in the first place. Later, he would not have been forced to marry a man, let alone forced to leave the house with nothing... Now, those people wanted to take advantage of such appellations as "Aunt" and "Uncle", but how could there be such a good thing in this world? Since they did not care about Lei Tie, why should he and Lei Tie care about them?

"Wronged you." Lei Tie said quietly.

It did not matter to Qin Mian, "They're just unimportant people to me [我wǒ]."

Lei Tie suddenly gripped his (QM) hand. "En, they're just unimportant people to us [我们wǒ men]."

There was one more word in the sentence. Qin Mian was taken aback and then smiled briskly, feeling a little nervous and joyful in his heart. This guy cared so much about him.

Upon seeing him smile, Lei Tie also faintly smiled, "Wife, I'm glad to have married you."

Qin Mian was flustered. He looked everywhere at the mountains and the trees but him. He pretended not to hear those.

Lei Tie no longer said anything, simply gripped his hand and raised the whip to speed up.

Afterwards, they would not be alone with the two of them as family.

After the 20th of the twelfth lunar month, it gradually became colder. The cold wind blew like the scrape of blades and whimpered like an angry beast. The water in the pond froze and it was not a problem for adults of more than 100 jin to walk on the ice surface. The water in the well was like ice that every time one fetched water, one had to smash the ice with the bucket first. The sun disappeared for a few days, and it seemed that heavy snow was coming.

As the New Year approached, there was a nursery rhyme singing: "23rd, sacrifice to Kitchen God; 24th, sweep the house; 25th, make tofu; 26th, stew meat; 27th, slaughter rooster; 28th, make dough; 29th, steam mantou[2]; 30th, stay up all night and rejoice on the first day of the New Year."

[2] Steamed bun.

On the 23rd of the twelfth lunar month, Qin Mian and Lei Tie went to the town to buy new clothes and New Year's goods. Qin Mian was worried that if there really was a heavy snow, it would be unsafe for the staffs with families outside the town to walk home. He gave them a lot of year-end bonuses and took annual leave. The business would resume operation on the sixth day of the first month.