Chapter 120: Passed the County Level Examination and Become a Xiucai

The smallest fish caught in the pond was over a jin and the largest was about 3 to 4 jin. Some were sent to Double Xiang House and Double Xiang House immediately launched a whole fish feast; it also attracted countless diners.

Many villagers thought that the fish of Qin Mian's family was good and wanted to buy some to make into salted fish for the New Year. Qin Mian decided to sell 200 fish to the villagers. The rest was not only for his family to eat, but also to supply Double Xiang House.

To the surprise of Qin Mian and Lei Tie, almost every household in the village came to their house to buy fish; most of them bought one and a few others bought more. From Uncle Fu's mouth, they heard that many villagers believed one could get sprinkled with their family's fortune if one bought something from their family. Qin Mian was very amused.

His family's fish was so fleshy that Qin Mian certainly wouldn't treat himself badly. He cooked the carp, crucian carp, and grass carp in various ways; steamed, braised, sweet and sour, boiled... He and Lei Tie ate fish for several days.

Every day, Leisurely Farmhouse exuded an attractive aroma. Zhou Erhao and his wife, who were only separated from them by a wall, drooled three times a day, but they could only continue to be jealous.

This morning, Qin Mian and Lei Tie checked the growth of the vegetables in the greenhouse. With Qin Mian's suggestions, Uncle Fu and Uncle Quan led others to ponder for several days and eventually made the greenhouse. The greenhouse was made of straw mats, reed mats, and waterproof cloths to prevent freezing. Occasionally, firewood was burnt to warm it up. Today, some of the vegetable seeds sown had sprouted.

At this time, outside the village came the sound of festive gongs and drums, getting closer and closer.

"A-Tie, listen to the sound. Can it be that Fifth Brother has passed the exam and become a Xiucai?" Qin Mian guessed.

Lei Tie pulled out the weeds in the seedling plot, appearing very calm, "Will know it in a moment."

A moment later, Lei-Qin Le rushed in with a happy expression.

"Eldest Young Master, Little Young Master. Fifth-gongzi has passed the examination and become a Xiucai! Second place in the first class!"

Qin Mian pulled Lei Tie to go out, "Let's go to join the joyous scene, too."

Once a Xuicai, one was considered to have an official rank and entered the officialdom hierarchy, which had the privilege of exempting from compulsory services, such as didn't have to kneel in front of the county magistrate and couldn't be punished casually. Lei Xiangzhi was second in the first class. He belonged to the ''Granary Student'' in the Xiucai's class; he could receive government-issued rations. At the gate of the old house, many villagers came to see the excitement after hearing the news. There had been no scholar in Green Mountain Village for nearly ten years. It was not only a happy event for Lei Daqiang's family but also a happy event for the whole village. Children were also affected by this kind of joyous event; they playfully drilled around among the adults.

Qin Mian walked to the gate of the courtyard. He couldn't squeeze in for a moment. He only heard the loud voice of Du Shi and Lei Daqiang in the courtyard, and the laughter of Li Zheng.

Almost everyone was bursting with happiness and speaking joyous words. Consequently, a sarcastic voice was particularly prominent.

"What if Lei Daqiang's family has a Xiucai? The officials from the county came all the way to give them the good news but they couldn't even give some tips."

As soon as this was said, someone immediately agreed, "That's right. This is a great event, but Lei Daqiang and Du Shi made the messengers left with gloomy faces. Isn't it a disappointment?"