Chapter 069: Maternal Grandparent's Home

In the afternoon, Lei Xiangren brought Lei Dabao and Lei Erbao over and invited Qin Mian and Lei Tie to go to the old house for dinner – Lei Xiaoyun's family and Lei Xiaofeng's family had come. Lunch would be at Lei Dagang's, and dinner would be at Lei Daqiang's.

Lei Tie refused.

Lei Xiangren curled his lips and did not say anything. He helped Lei Dabao and Lei Erbao to put the fried dough twists and sweet guozis in the dishes into their pockets, while he grabbed two pieces of sangzas before leaving in a hurry with his two children.

On the third day of the first month, Lei Daqiang and Lei Dagang went to Lei Xiaoyun's house to pay New Year's greetings. Qin Mian stayed at home, while Lei Tie went with them. After the New Year's gifts were delivered, he did not stay for a meal and returned alone. Upon seeing Qin Mian sitting in front of the table with the dishes and tableware waiting for him, and White Spot also looking at the direction of the gate, Lei Tie's heart was extremely secured.

On the fourth day of the first month, the Lei Family went to Lei Xiaofeng's house to pay New Year's greetings. Lei Tie had lunch at Lei Xiaofeng's house. Lei Xiaoyun ranted and raved at Lei Tie, but he kept silent. Lei Xiaoyun could do nothing about it.

On the sixth day of the first month, Lei Tie reminded Qin Mian to add brine to the fermented tofu. Qin Mian sealed the earthen vessels after adding brine. He solemnly put the two earthen vessels in a corner of the kitchen and waited for a year to open.

On the seventh day of the first month, Lei's kinsfolk made an appointment to visit Lei Tie's home. Lei Dagang's, Lei Daqiang's, and Lei Xiaofeng's families all came. Lei Xiaoyun's family did not come, nor did she send a New Year's gift. Qin Mian and Lei Tie did not care about it.

After the tenth day of the first month, the custom of receiving guests basically ended, and the villagers began to invite the people who were on friendly terms to dinner. Qin Mian and Lei Tie also ran around for a day to invite Li Zheng's family, Zhao Wenzhong's family (who had rented them a house), Zhang Dashuan's family, Grandpa Jiang and Wu Di to have dinner at home. The following day, Zhao Wenzhong, Zhang Dashuan, Grandpa Jiang, and Wu Di returned the hospitality[1]. With these exchanges, the relationship between them had become closer. It was not strange to say that men's friendship came from the wine table.

[1] give a return banquet/invite back to dinner.

The weather was getting warmer, yet it was still very cold in the house. However, standing under the sun for a while could get one's body burning hot.

On the twelfth day of the first month, the accumulated snow had completely melted, the warm sun hung high in the sky, and the ground was 80% dry. Lei Tie and Qin Mian prepared gifts and went to Deng's Village to visit Lei Tie's maternal grandparents.

Lei Tie drove the oxcart, while Qin Mian sat next to him eating melon seeds.

"Grandpa, grandma, and second uncle are very good people, don't worry." Lei Tie suddenly popped out a sentence.

Lei Tie did not mention his eldest uncle, eldest aunt, and second aunt. Qin Mian thought about it and knew what was going on. He put a melon seed kernel in his mouth, "Do you see me looking like I'm worried?" Also, he was not really 15 years old.