Chapter Fifty Watch Your Headlights Leave

Headlights-Eminem

"Thug life. The hate u give little infants fucks everyone." I hear on the radio. "Do you believe that's true?" The radio person asks.

"Do I believe what's true? That if we show hate to the infants it will fuck everyone up? Hell yeah I believe it's true. Thug life is real except the U should be WE because we raise our kids and we teach them how to be. We teach them right from one. It's not one person individually and all of us as a whole. If there's hate in the world it's because someone gave it and so then the receiver will begin to give hate and so on and on. That's just how the world works plain and simple."

"What do you hope The Hate U Give will teach its readers?" The radio person asks.

"Love. Hope. Family. I hope it teaches its readers what it's like to be a person in this world. Not everything is as equal as we wish it was. I hope this book teaches its readers respect as well as the will to replace kindness with cruelness."

"Some people believe that this book is racist and it puts pressure on white folks. How do you feel about that?"

"Now that is straight up the dumbest shit I've ever heard. The Hate U Give is not a racist book and it doesn't put pressure on white films. That's bullshit right there and who ever believes that shit is-" the radio is turned up and I look up at my mom as she crosses her arms and raises her eyebrows.

"Why are you listening to this stuff? Huh? This talk of for big kids not children." She says and I shrug.

"It sounded cool." I say. "Can I get that book mom?" She shakes her head.

"No, sweetie. That book isn't for kids you're age. When you're older, you can get it. But only when you're older." I sigh and nod and continue eating my cereal as she ruffles my hair making me giggle and mild drips down my chin.

     "I wanna be a big kid."

     "You will be soon. Hurry up and eat then go get cleaned up. We're gonna go out today and have some fun."

     "Really?" I ask excitedly and she nods while she smiles.

     "Really."

     "Yes!" I shovel the rest of the cereal into my mouth and race to my room changing my clothes and rushing back out. "I'm ready!" She taps her foot.

     "What are you forgetting?" She asks and I narrow my eyes looking around the kitchen. That's when I see my mistake. I grab my bowl and wash it then put it in the dishwasher. My mom smiles. "That's my girl." She ruffles my hair again and we walk out of the house but she stops and looks around.

     "What is it?"

     "M- my car? Where's my car?"

     "It's right there mom." I say pointing to a white mini van. "Right in front of the house like it always is." My mom shakes her head.

     "No, that's not my car." She says confused. "I have a red corvette. That's not my car." I narrow my eyes and look to the car and then back at her.

     "You've has this car for a while mom. This is your car. Check and see." She searches and looks around.

     "The keys. Where are the keys?" I hear the juggling sound of the keys and I reach out grabbing her hand and holding it up as far as I could reach.

     "Your keys are in you hand mom." She gives me a weak smile and puts her hand on my cheek.

     "Thank you sweetie." She points the keys in her hand at the car and presses a button that makes the car beep twice.