Hug - Jake Peralta

*Warning: angst, yelling and cussing*

Y/n knocked on the bathroom door, worried sick.

She started gently, her knuckles barely touching the dark wood as she did so, but as time passed she begun to do it harder, almost hurting her hand.

He wasn't answering, and it scared her.

"Jake! Are you ok?" she almost yelled "please, answer to me..."

Then, after almost ten minutes, she heard the handle turn, and the door finally opened.

There he stood, with his eyes red and tired and his chestnut brown hair all scruffy and messy.

She basically froze, her hand slowly lowering, as she softly and sadly stared at him.

He seemed so fragile and tired...

"Hey..." he said, looking at his feet in shame "What is it?"

"...Well, you tell me, Jake" she sighed.

"What do you mean?" he said, a fake smile on his face as he pretended he didn't know what she was talking about.

"Oh, please... don't play dumb with me. You've been in there for the last hour, if not more... what's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm great" he lied.

"Jake... please, tell me! I wanna help you, and I can't do that if you don't let me do that!"

"You can't help me!" He suddently yelled "You can't, ok? Fuck off, leave me alone!"

Y/n froze.

"What the fuck's gotten into you?! Why are you such a jerk, all of a sudden?!"

"Oh, I'm a jerk? Have you fucking heard yourself!?!"

Y/n nervously laughed, looking at the ceiling for a moment as she shook her head.

"Seriously, dude? What the fuck? What have I done to you?!"

"...You couldn't understand" he bit his lip, looking away.

"What the fuck does that mean?!"

He stayed silent.

"You know what? I was just trying to help you, but I shouldn't have. I'm just wasting my fucking time with you, apparently"

"Yeah, maybe you are! Go to your fucking boyfriend and leave me alone!" he hissed.

"I will!" she shouted back, angrily walking away.

Jake shut the door again, and Y/n did the same with her bedroom's one.

"Fucking crybaby" she muttered, lying down on her bed with her arms crossed on her chest.

She was so pissed at him.
So angry.

The more she thought about it, the more worked up she got.

How dare he talk to her like that?
She was just trying to help him!

But then, as the fresh memory of his words replayed in her head, she realized something, she noticed something she had never noticed before.

"Go to your fucking boyfriend and leave me alone"

...He had never said anything like that.

Anything that harsh in the five years they had lived together, actually, but that specific phrase...

Why did he bring Matthew into the fight?

Him and Y/n had been dating for a while, and Jake had always seemed very happy about it.

Had he actually been lying the whole time?

Maybe... but why?

Suddently, she heard a knock on her door.

She sat up.
It was Jake, of course.

Still very confused, she got up and opened it.

"I'm sorry about what I said, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that... can I come in?"

She nodded, stepping aside.

He walked into the room, drying his cheek with his sleeve, and sat down on her bed.

She followed him and did the same, waiting for him to talk.

"I'm really sorry... I'm not really comfortable with anyone seeing me like this... and I'm really stressed out... I-I mean..."

"Don't worry, it's ok. I get it" she softly smiled "...I mean, it's not very nice to be yelled at, especially when you're trying to help... but I know what you're talking about, and I know you, you would never say stuff like that. So yeah, don't worry. It's ok"

"No, it's not. I owe you an apology. You have nothing to do with all this... and Matt isn't either. I'm really really sorry, and I need you to know that"

"...I know" she softly said, putting her hand on his knee "and I forgive you"

Jake softly smiled, locking eyes with her for a moment. Then he sighed, and looked down again.

"I owe you an apology too, by the way. I really shouldn't have invaded your space like that, and all..."

"No, it's ok. I appreciate you trying to help... it's my fault that I didn't accept it, and-

"What if we stop apologizing?" she proposed "I mean..."

"Yeah, seems fair" he chuckled.

They laughed for a bit, then silence fell over the room once again.

"Do you wanna talk about what's on your mind?" she soflty asked.

He slowly shook his head.

"...Is there something I can do to help you, then?"

"Just..." he whispered, his voice cracking as tears started running down his cheeks "hug me"

She wrapped her arms around his shoulders, bringing him close to her and making him hide his face in the crook of her neck.

The sobs grew stronger, and as he held tightly onto her, his hands shakingly resting on her hips, he broke down.

"I'm here now" she softly whispered "I'm here"

A/N :/
Hey guys! Thx for reading!
Sorry for the long pause, I just wasn't feeling like writing, in the last few weeks.

And this probably sucks, and doesn't make much sense, but I hope it can be enough for another couple of days, or whenever I'll finally get my inspiration back.

Anyway, hope you liked it!
Peace out, homies :)
- Franx