Rooftop - Jake Peralta

*Warning: mentions of suicide*

It was a quiet night in New York.

The people, down in the busy streets, laughed and walked around, hand in hand with their loved ones, and everything seemed perfect to their eyes.

And it probably was, for them.

They were happy, satisfied with their life choices, and their life finally had a meaning, a purpose.

Their mistakes and struggles had paid off, and it was all worth the trouble, now.

Sadly, y/n couldn't say the same thing about hers.

For who doesn't know her, y/n is a very smart, funny, and charming girl, that moved to the city that never sleeps from Chicago a couple months ago, to follow her dreams of becoming an actress.

She had always wanted to be one. To be in blockbuster movies, dramatic ones, rom-coms... or even in sitcoms, or tv shows... everything would've been good enough, as long as she could prove the ones that had never believed in her wrong.

She was always so passionate about it, so excited, so dynamic...

Or at least, that was what she let others see, the part of her she showed to her friends and family.

What they didn't know, was that she wasn't really like that. In fact, that was just a 'mask', a made-up personality she created to hide from them how she really felt.

She wasn't happy, or funny, or passionate...

She actually just felt... nothing.
Inside her, there were no emotions, or at least, not anymore.

She was empty.
Empty like a bottle of wine at the end of a very upsetting first date, one were the girl didn't show up and the guy ended up drinking it all by himself.

A sad and empty bottle of wine.

And as she stood there, on that rooftop in the middle of Brooklyn, thinking about what an effort she had done to make the ones she cared about think she was ok, even if she not-so-clearly wasn't, she realized how much time she had wasted.

Why hide it, if she wasn't planning on living any longer?

She slowly got on the edge of the building, that was a bit taller than the rest of the rooftop.

The cool breeze of the night caressed her face, making her feel goosebumps all over her skin.

This would be the last thing she'd ever feel...

Her hair trembled, moved around by the wind, and so did her hands, shaking a little, as she took a deep breath and closed them in a fist, sinking her nails in their palm.

She closed her eyes, taking in the cold air and quickly breathing out from her mouth.

It was time to go.

"I wouldn't jump, if I were you..."

She froze, and then giggled, scoffing.
"Well, if you knew why I'm here, you wouldn't say that"

She didn't turn around.
Her eyes fixated on the bright lights of the cars that crossed the Brooklyn bridge, that was just a few miles away, right in front of her.

If she had, she would have seen the stranger slide his hands in his pockets and nonchalantly walk closer, as if she wasn't about to commit a suicide.

"I don't think so" he continued "...how bad could it be?"

"Trust me, it's bad"

"...Make me change my mind, then. Why are you here?"

She shook her head, grinning.
"If you're trying to talk me out of this, stop wasting your time. It won't work"