Apologies - Jake Peralta

It's been four days.
Four days since we've last spoken.

I know what it looks like, I know that a fight, for many couples, is just a fase, and that everything will get better soon.
I know that fights are supposed to happen.

But Jake and I never had one, until now, and I can assure you, the last four days, at least for me, have been hell.

I've thought a lot about it, about what we said, nay, yelled to each other, and I think I know what I have to do.

I knock at the door.
At our door.

My hands are shaking, twitching in my pockets. I'm scared. I don't know if this is a good idea, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

I hear footsteps approaching.
They're slow, unsure.

A couple seconds later, he opens it, and as he stands in front of me, I can tell these days have been hell for him too.

He looks sick. Or at least, he looks like he hasn't slept much, and probably hasn't. Under his tired eyes, a dark shadow, confirming my doubts.

In his right hand, a bottle of vodka, one of those cheap ones that you can find in every bodega. It's half-empty.

But also, on his cheeks, there are red marks, that cut them right in the middle, going down from his eyes to his jaw.

Has he been crying?

"...Oh... it's you..." he says, looking at his feet to avoid my gaze.

I stay silent for a moment, searching for the right words.

"...Can we talk?"

He looks up, sighing.
I can clearly see there's no hope left in his eyes, and it breaks my heart.

He slowly nods, stepping aside.

I walk in.
Jake closes the door behind me, and stands to my side.

He quickly gestures towards the living room we both know too well, making me follow him there.

We sit down, one in front of the other.
Him on the sofa, me on the couch next to it.

He sighs, and takes another sip.
"...How did you know I was home?" he asks. No emotion in his tone.

"I called Captain Holt, this morning. He told me you had taken a day off" I softly answer, looking up.

He looks back at me for a moment.
Then he nods, and shifts his gaze towards his feet.

"Yeah, I can see that..."

His voice sounds broken, just like him.
I hate seeing him like this.
Seeing us, like this.

"Listen, Jake..." I sigh.

"I know" he says, interrupting me.

I stare at him once again, confused.
"What do you mean with 'I know'?"

"I know where this is going, that's what I mean" he says, looking back at me "I know what you're going to tell me"

"...And what would that be?"

"Don't pretend you don't know" he says.
There's a grin on his face, but he doesn't seem happy.

"What are you talking about?"

He chuckles, and takes another sip.
I roll my eyes.

"Can you please put that down?" I say, crossing my arms.

He sighs angrily, and leaves it on the coffee table in front of us.

"What are you talking about?" I repeat.

He takes a deep breath, closing his eyes.
Then he sits straight and leans a bit forward, resting his arms on his knees.

"Y/n, I know you're breaking up with me" he says.

"...What?"

"I know you're tired of me, of my bullshit. I know you're leaving me for someone better. They all do"

I look up, and my eyes meet his. He looks sad, depressed, hopeless.
He's sure of what he's saying.

"What do you mean? 'They all do'?"

"All my ex-girlfriends. They all left me, right after our first fight" he sighs "I should've known you would've too..."

"I can't believe you're comparing me to them... Why would you think that!" I yell "I'm not leaving you!"

He looks at me again, confused.
"...Y-you're not?"

"No, of course not!"

I sigh, calming down.

"Jake, I'm not breaking up with you, you're the best thing that ever happened to me. I would never do that"

"Then... why did you come here?"

"To apologize" I softly smile.
"...I was scared you wouldn't have listened to me, I thought you were angry, that's why I didn't come before"

"Angry?" he chuckles "I was sad! I thought you were never coming back!"

I move from the couch and sit down on the sofa next to him, hugging him, as he opens his arms wide.

"...We're so dumb" I giggle.

"Yeah..."

He kisses the top of my head, holding me tight. He's shaking like a leaf.

"I'm really sorry for everything I've said, last time" he softly says.

"Me too" I sigh.

"...I love you, Y/n"

I look up at him, and smile.
"I love you too"

A wide grin spreads on his face, and before I know it, his lips are on mine.
God, I've missed him.

"...Please, don't ever leave me" he whispers, as we pull away, resting our foreheads against each others.

"Never" I smile.

A/N :/
Hey guys! Thanks for reading!
Sorry, this is really awful. I'm not really good at this type of stories :/
Anyway, hope you liked it :)

-Franx