Breakup - Jake Peralta

Jake was at Shaw's, drinking alone.

The squad felt tired for the hard day at work, and had gently declined his offer, even though he had said he'd pay for their drinks.

It never worked.
He was broke, everyone knew that.

Actually, money wasn't the only thing he didn't have. He also didn't have a girlfriend.

Well, not anymore.

He used to have one. Sophia.
But she had broken up with him almost two weeks ago, so...

It felt like it was only yesterday.
He could still hear her words.

"I love you!"

"...I don't" she had said, softly, almost like she didn't want to break his heart.

Well, it did anyway.

At work, he had started pretending he was over it, acting like he had already moved on, but it still hurted.
He still cried himself to sleep at night.

"...I don't"

Her words resonated in his head, like a song that's been stuck there for too long.

It still burned. A lot.

He actually liked her, he had even said 'I love you' more than once... but he should have known.

She was a defence attourney, after all, and everyone knows that they have no soul.

As he took another sip of his beer, someone sat on the stool beside him, trying to catch the bartender's attention.

"A beer, please" said the girl next to him.

He looked up, recognizing her voice.
It was y/n.

"Hey... what are you doing here?" He asked softly, smiling.

"Having a drink with a friend" she smiled, mouthing a thanks as the bartender gave her a bottle.

"I thought you were tired!"

"Yeah, well, I didn't want you to be here alone... you become really sloppy after a couple beers, and I don't want you to get in trouble" she smirked.

"You really know me well" he chuckled, taking another sip from his bottle.

They sat in silence for a bit.

Not a weird one, tho.
It felt comfortable.

They were friends since the academy, and knew each other well enough to tell if it was the right moment to talk or not.

"Thanks for coming, y/n. I'd have probably done something stupid, without you here" he said softly, looking at her.

"No problem, Jakey" she grinned.

"...Can I tell you something?"

"Yeah, sure"

"...Not here, tho. There's a lot of people..."

"Oh, ok..." she said, confused "Well, we can walk to my apartment, it's just a few blocks away"

"Yes, I know. I've been there many times, y/n" he chuckled.

"Right, of course" she laughed, embarassed "Well, let's go, then..."
__

They walked silently through the dark streets of Brooklyn, one beside the other.

Jake felt really nervous.
How could he tell her?

He had never been really good at expressing his feelings, and talking about how his break up was making him feel wasn't really as easy as he thought it'd be.