Chapter 70: The Tiniest Bit of Hope

The Man:

The impact of Oa exploding kicks the Rusted into overdrive. She sails faster than before, outsailing the flying debris. With me at the wheel and everyone else gripping for dear life, we manage to make it out of range of Oa before there is any damage.

As the fire starts to die down and the debris floats instead of shooting out, I pull a lever, and out comes thrusters. The thrusters appear on the side of the Rusted. They turn her to the side so we can look at Oa. At least, what's left of Oa.

"Oa," Kilowog says.

"Oa," Arisias says.

"Oa," Laria says. "Salaak. Everyone."

The three of them lower their heads. It spread like wildfire, and very soon, everyone, even the Guardians, have their heads lowered.

"We lost Oa," Kilowog goes on. "We lost Mogo and Tomar-Re and Guy and who knows who else. All because we didn't believe in you guys. Ahh!"

Kilowog screams and slams his fist against the railing. He screams again while shaking his fist.

"What do we do now," Arisia asks, turning to face Harleen. "I mean, what will happen without the green lantern corps?"

Even though Harleen couldn't understand Arisia without her ring, she could sense the sadness in her voice.

"It's okay," Harleen says, wrapping her arm around Arisia. Arisia rests her head on Harleen's shoulder and cries.

"Salaak told you to go," Laria asks Atrocitus. "He told you Oa is lost and that we should leave."

"Yes," Atrocitus answers. "He told me that he knew. He knew you and Arisia and everyone else fought as hard as we could but that Oa was lost. He wanted you to get out of there. He told me that if one green lantern survives, then so will the green lantern corps."

Upon hearing this, Laria looks at her ring. She shakes her head and lets her hand drop.

"He was wrong," Laria says. "Kilowog, Arisia, and I are all here, but without our rings, we're not much of green lanterns."

"No," I shout, stomping my foot so loud, it grabs everyone's attention. They all stare at me as I walk down the stairs and toward the deck.

"Without the rings, you're not much of a green lantern," I repeat to Laria. "That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard and I have heard a lot of dumb things over the years. The earth is flat. The sky is falling. Barry isn't an idiot."

"Hey," Barry says from somewhere in the back but I ignore him.

"With or no ring," I go on, "You are still green lanterns. The rings choose you because they believe in you. The reason I could wear the rings, whether green, red, or, blue is that they believe in me. They sense the willpower, the anger, and the hope I have. That I still have, and so do the three of you."

I stop when I see something small flying toward us. I waste no time and shoot out the red ring. A claw and wire appear and they catch whatever it is. I pull it in and show it to everyone.

"A dead green ring," Ranakar says. He turns his head and points outward. We all look to see dozens and dozens of green rings floating out in all different directions.

"They're floating," Kilowog says. "Not trying to find new owners."

He grabs one as it floats by. Kilowog throws it into the air over and over but it always comes back down.

"Come on," he says, "Go. Go. Find someone worthy."

Kilowog throwing it again, I catch it this time. I then throw it back into space.