Chapter 8: A Little Bit Broken

The Man:

Snapping my hand and pulling a kunai from thin air, I slam the invisibility button to the side and spin around.

"Who's there," I say, pulling back my hand and preparing to throw my kunai.

"Calm down," Kara yells, putting up her hands. "It's me."

"Oh," I sigh, letting both my hand and my kunai fall. "How did you get in here? I could have sworn I locked the door."

Lending to the side a little, I look past Kara at my door. The door is still on its hinges, but all the locks have been destroyed, most of them are ripped in two or have completely fallen off the door and to the floor.

"Hmm," I mutter, looking at Kara. "I normally don't have guests in my base with super strength. Then again, I normally don't have guests here in my base."

Kara:

The Man's room is nothing more than just the color black. I literally don't see anything else. As I step into The Man's room, it instantly feels like I'm floating in an empty space, only even worst because there aren't any stars or asteroids or anything for that matter. It's just one big black space with The Man sitting in the middle.

"Hmm," he mutters, looking at me. "I normally don't have guests in my base with super strength. Then again, I normally don't have guests here in my base."

Looking behind me, I see all the locks I accidentally destroyed when I walk in.

"Oh," I say, turning between The Man and the locks. "Uhh, sorry."

"Don't worry about it," The Man replies, "This is a sign."

"A sign," I repeat. "What do you mean?"

"I mean it's a sign that I need to upgrade my security system."

"I don't think so," I say, "In fact, I think you need to downgrade your security system. You know, get rid of all the lethal traps and maybe even a few of the non-lethal."

"Doc and I told you and everyone where the traps are. They're easily avoidable."

"They are avoidable," I agree, "But there are also just so many. It makes walking around here hard."

"That's what I want. There are rooms in here I don't want any of you to find. They're personal rooms. Besides, I'm only referring to my room. Considering how easier you walked in, I need to get some new locks. One that can keep out Kryptonians."

"Sorry to bother you," I say, crossing my arms. "I just wanted to see if you were okay."

"I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

"I don't know. Maybe because instead of going to the infirmary to see either Dr. Crane or Isis, you instead went to your room. I mean, after your fights with all these Dr. Fates, you don't want to at least see if things are okay with you. I know Leonard and Selina went, but not you."

"I've been through a lot. I know what my body can take and how much. Besides, I'm a doctor myself, so I do feel something is off, I'll just check myself out."

"Okay, what about your fight with Barry? Doesn't that even bother you the sightly?"

"Not even a little. I'm okay with Flash wanting to kill me."

"He doesn't want to kill you."

"No, I'm very sure he wants to kill me. At the very least, he wants to punch me really, really hard and knock me out for the next week and a half."

"And you're okay with that? You're not going to, I don't know, try and talk with him."

"Again, I am okay with Flash not liking me. In fact, I am more than okay with Flash not liking me. I am okay with Dr. Crane not liking me. I am even okay with you not liking me."

"What," I accidentally scream, "I mean, what?"

"I have never been a people person. I don't like people, and people, but I guess in your case, Kryptonians, don't like me. We're just together because we have a mutual goal."

"Hey now listen here," I say, walking up to the very stupid man. "We are not together because we have a mutual goal."

"Oh, I forget. We're also together because I have a secret base, knowledge about Superman's One Earth government, and free foods."

Getting up from his seat, The Man faces me head-on.

"Am I missing anything," he ask.

"Yeah, I think you forget the part where, without us, you would have gotten beaten up by all these soldiers back in Harleen's base and died."

"Oh please," The Man snarls, "I have a harder time brushing my teeth."

"Excuse me for wanting to help you."

"Help me or help you," The Man says.

"What?"

"Help me or help you," The Man repeats. "I mean, I'm not the one that couldn't stop my cousin from taking over again."

The Man:

"Oh what the h-e-double hockey sticks is wrong with me," I say as soon as I realize what I've just said.

Kara staring at me, her eyes starting to water, I grind my teeth before running my hands through my hair.

"Here goes everything," I say, stepping forward. Seeing Kara about to turn away, I stop her. I wrap my arms around her and pull her in for a hug.

"I am so sorry," I say, feeling Kara shaking. I don't know if it was because she was trying to get away or because she was trying to hold back tears, but I didn't let go.

"I am so sorry about what I just said," I say. "It was just stupid and idiotic of me to say, and I didn't mean it in the slightest. I'm just a little broken."

"What," Kara asks.

"I'm broken," I repeat, "It's something I heard once."

Pushing Kara out so she's face to face with me, I try and remember what it was I heard.

"I like that you're broken," I start, "Broken like me. Maybe that makes me a fool. I like that you're lonely. Lonely like me. I could be lonely with you."

Looking back at Kara, she wipes her eyes.

"Again, I'm sorry. I suck at singing."

"It was okay," Kara shutters.

"My point is, I'm broken. I'm not a people person, but that's probably because I have zero social skills and say incredibly hurtful and again, stupid things. For the record, I really do appreciate the help."

"Don't mention it."

Seeing a smile starts to slowly form on Kara's face, I clear my throat and shake my head.

"Anyway," I say, clearing my throat again and pounding my chest. "Uhh, what were we talking about?"

"Uhh, oh."

Pointing a finger and about to say something, the Doc's voice interrupts her before she can say it.

"Excuse me," the Doc says over the base's intercom. "I'm sorry to bother everyone in the middle of whatever you're doing right now, but there's something you need to see. Everyone back to the meeting room now."

Kara and I look at each other, we nod our heads and quickly exit my room. Stopping to lock the door, I remember all the locks are busted.

"Fudge," I say, looking back at Kara.

"Sorry," she says.

"I'll fix it later. Let's go."