Chapter 12: A Guest in the Base

Flash:

I run by a dozen fake Dr. Fates, punching each one across the face and watching as they vanish into lights. Skidding to a stop, I look at the others. Catwoman and Harleen are working together to take down a small group of fake Dr. Fates on the ground. Firestorms and Blue Beetle are blasting them out of the sky. Even Swamp Thing is here, summoning roots to bind the Fates to the ground. Once trapped, he swings his arm, his wooden arm stretching out and hitting all the Dr. Fates.

"There are so many of them," Swamp Thing groans, watching as all of the Dr. Fates he took down vanish and new ones quickly appear.

"Surrender," one of the Dr. Fates orders, hovering toward the two of us, magical orbs floating in his hands. "You cannot defeat us. We are many. We are endless. We will not stop until The Man in the Sunglasses is defeated."

"As much as I hate The Man in the Sunglasses," I say, stretching my fingers as I prepare for another round against the Dr. Fates. "He and I have a common goal."

Despite feeling drained, my arms and legs feeling like stone, I suck it up and look at the hovering Dr. Fate.

"So you said we cannot defeat you," I say, "Let's see about that."

This fake Dr. Fate throwing the orbs, I run toward them, dodging in between before punching the faker. Groaning as he drops to the ground and vanishes, I run to another. Running from one to another, I punch, kick, dodge, parry, ram, and do whatever else I can think of to take down all of the Dr. Fates. Running toward another, what must be the millionth one today, I pull back my arm. Only a second from knocking this one out, a blast from somewhere knocks me to the street. Hitting the street and rolling, I catch myself and start to push myself up but mid-way, another blast hits me and sent me flying.

Moaning as I hit the street again, out of both breath and speed, I look up to see a pair of blurry Dr. Fates hovering toward me. About to get up and fight them, one of the Dr. Fates hit me with an orb, the orb burning me as it keeps me down.

The two now aiming both their arms at me, I grind my teeth. Before they can shoot, however, another blast hit both of them, white smoke erupting and covering them. The smoke fading away reveals that the pair of Dr. Fates are now stuck in ice.

Captain Cold:

Running to Flash, his jaw hanging as he stares at the frozen Dr. Fates, I grab and pull him up.

"Get up, lazy," I shout, pushing him as soon as he can stand on his own two feet. "And get everyone out of here! Robin Hood and I will hold them off until then!"

Leaving the "hero" with his eyes wide open and jaw still handing, I run to Robin Hood's side and join him in holding off the fake Fates. Freezing a bunch of them and watching as they drop, I look to the rich boy's side.

"How many arrows do you have left," I ask, switching the dial on my cold gun. I aim at the sky and fire. A white ball shooting out and into the sky, it burst, not only freezing some more Fates but also raining white smoke. The smoke hitting a few Fates below freezes them completely.

"Since when could your cold gun do that," the rich boy asks, firing off more of his trick arrows.

"Since some weird in a pair of sunglasses gave me a suit in a disc," I answer, switching the dial.

Now, firing bursts of snow and ice, I freeze three more Fates.

"How are the girls doing," Green Arrows asks, dodging out of the way as a Fate fires at him.

"The girl isn't doing so well," I reply. "He's not grabbing everyone fast enough and getting them the hell out of way."

"What," Green Arrows asks, looking at where I'm looking. "I was referring to Black Canary and Poison Ivy."

"Oh. They're doing fine."

Black Canary:

I scream and blast all the evil Fates away. Once done, I jump back and slam my back against Poison Ivy, Ivy herself summoning a wall of roots to block a blast. The wall staying intact, Ivy then waves her arms, and roots shoot to grab the Fates.

"To your right," I say, swinging Ivy behind me and screaming.

"Thanks," Ivy replies, raising her arms. A second later, a giant, Venus flytrap erupts from the street. Its teeth are shining and it's drooling acid. The second it can, it charges toward the Fates, forcing them away with its thrones-covered roots.

"That should give us the space we need," Ivy says, elbowing me in the back. I nod my head, and we both turn to run toward the group. The two of us grabbing Oliver and Cold along the way, we make it inside an abandoned store.

"What's going on," Firestorm asks. He defuses and Jason and Stein appear. "Why did you grab us?"

"We got a call from The Man a few minutes ago," I answer, looking behind as a bunch of Dr. Fates gather around the Venus flytrap and try to destroy it. "He said it's time for a retreat, and that he and Supergirl got something big."

"Something big," Barry repeats, "What? What did he and Supergirl get?"

"No clue," Oliver says, "He said we should fall and wait for a portal to open up."

"Okay. Well, where exactly is the portal supposed to open u--"

A massive portal opens right beneath us, our screams cut Barry off as we all drop-in. Landing right into the infirmary, I see Dr. Crane and Iris rush to help us up.

"Oh, thank you," Dr. Crane says, helping me up. "I'm not going to lie. I wasn't sure if that was going to work. I've never adjusted the teleporter to open a portal that big before so I wasn't sure if I was doing it right. Who knows what would have happened if I did it wrong?"

"I can provide two scenarios," Cold says, kicking Jaime off of him. "One is the portal closing early and some of us losing a few parts. The other is the portal staying open too long, and this base filling with evil Fates. Now get off of me."

Helping Jaime to his feet, Iris then helps Cold to his.

"Hmm," The Man says as he walks to Dr. Crane's side, rubbing his chin. "If I had to, I would pick the second scenario. I wouldn't mind beating up some more fake Fates."

"More than we already have," Barry says, helping Jason and Professor Stein up. "Altogether, we must have taken down over a billion fake Dr. Fates."

"Yes, but as it turns out, we may only need one particular Dr. Fate."

The Man stepping aside reveals to us another Dr. Fate, only this one is strapped to a table.

"What in the living hel--," Jason tries to say but The Man loudly coughs into his hand and stops him.

"What in the living heck is one of the fake Dr. Fates doing here," Jason says, rolling his eyes.

"For the record," Dr. Crane says, putting up his hand. "I asked the same thing. I mean, no offense or anything, but I thought the whole point of this place was that it was supposed to be secure against all threats. Why did you bring a threat here?"

"This is not just one of them," The Man replies, walking over to the stripped-down Dr. Fate. Hovering over him for a bit, The Man looks Kent in his eyes, before reaching down and pulling off his Helmet of Fate. Lending back as Kent begins to scream and shake, I rush over to him but The Man shoots out his arm and stops me.

"Don't," he says. "I know this looks bad, I really do, but if this works, it could prove to be a major advantage."

"What are you talking about," I ask, watching as Kent's screams begin to fill the room. The straps keep him down as he shakes, his body starts to glow intensely, but it's not at all like before. This Dr. Fate isn't disappearing.

"Doc," The Man says, looking at Dr. Crane. "Now, set up a teleporter."

Dr. Crane scrambling to do as the man said slams the teleporter onto the floor. Pushing some buttons on it, he looks up.

"Where to?"

"Let's tried China. It's on the other side of the planet, far away from him."

Nodding his head, Dr. Crane pushes a final button on the teleporter before the portal opens with the Wall of China appearing inside of it.

"Watch out below," The Man says, throwing the helmet through the portal before it closes.