Chapter 50: Truce

The Man:

"All of us," Cold repeats. "All of us? What the hell is wrong with you?"

I turn my head and look at Cold.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, I said a bad word. Slap me later, Four-Eyes, but still. What the hell? You asked Flyboy and his group of goonies for help."

"Yeah," Flash yells. "What did you ask Superman for help?"

"Clean the wax out of your ears," I say. "I told you. Darkseid kidnaped Kara, and we can only rescue her if we work with them."

"You have to be kidding me," Firestorm says.

"He's not," Superman answers, stepping forward. As soon as he takes a step, everyone aims at him. Firestorm raises their hands. Cold raises his cold gun. Flash prepares to charge toward Superman. The second they do, Black Adam's hands charge with electricity, and Wonder Woman reaches for her sword.

Seeing this, I shoot out the red ring and form a wall around Superman, Adam, and Wonder Woman.

"I knew it," Adam yells, blasting the red wall with lighting. "This was a trap!"

"No, it's not," I yell back. "This is just so none of us shoot at each other. Accidentally or purposely."

I turn to look at everyone as they keep their weapons up. Despite what I've said, Black Adam doesn't believe me and fires at the wall again.

"That's enough, Black Adam," Superman yells. "I said it but apparently, I have to repeat myself. Enough."

"Likewise," I say. Using the ring's power, I fire off multiple beams and lower everyone's weapons. "We have a truce. A very temporary truce but a truce nonetheless. Superman, if I lower the wall, do I have your word Black Adam and Wonder Woman won't attack?"

"You do," Superman answers with a nod, "But do I have your word that none of your team will attack us if you lower your wall?"

"You don't," I answer with a shake of my head. "As much as I hate to say this, you don't have my word that you won't be attacked if I lower this wall."

Superman:

"That's a surprising answer," I think. "The man is honest, even if it's against him."

Looking around at everyone, I stop and look down at my yellow ring. My ring is glowing brightly. As I swing my hand around, I can see the fear radiating from everyone; Flash, Firestorm, Captain Cold. Everyone is scared of us. Everyone except the man with the sunglasses. When I point my ring at him, the ring's glow dies almost immediately.

"The man had no fear. Why is that? The three of us are standing right here, and yet, he isn't scared. There's something off about him. Still. He told me the truth."

I look the man right in his sunglasses and nod my head. He nods his own head and the red wall surrounding us fades away. As soon as it's gone, everyone rises their weapons but no one fire. Instead, they just all look at each other.

"What's the plan," I ask, still looking at the man.

"That depends," he starts, looking to his left and right before spreading out his arms. "This is my crew. Who's on your?"

"Crew," I repeat.

"Don't know if you notice or not," Captain Cold yells from the side, "But you're standing on a floating pirate ship in deep space. Just go with it."

I shake my head and sigh.

"Black Adam, Wonder Woman, and myself of course. I also have Cyborg and Hawkgirl waiting."

"No Batman," the man asks.

"No," I say. "Bruce stays on the ship. No argument."

"Wait a minute," Barry says, stepping forward but stopping when the man in the sunglasses turns and raises his hand.

"Fine," the man says, turning back. "Bruce can stay, but we're going to need more people. Not just Robot Man and Chickengirl. Who else did you bring?"

About to answer the man, Diana cuts me off.

"There is only Sinestro left," she yells. "But he, like Batman, is not going with us. He's staying."

"Fine," the man says again, "But that actually reminds me of something else. While we have this very, very, temporary truce, there's something we need to add.

"And what's that?"

"While we're invading Apokolips to rescue Kara, Sinestro and his band of yellow cowards don't attack Oa."

"We do not agree to that," Adam shouts. He steps forward, his hand pulsing with electricity. Walking right toward the man, everyone on his crew prepares and raises their weapons. However, even before I could react, the man grabs Adam's head and slams it down onto the ground.

Adam screams as he hits the floor. He tries to get back up but the man stomps on his head and keeps him down.

"We're having a conversation here," the man yells at Adam. "Don't interrupt."

He turns to look back at me.

"Sinestro holds off on any attacks while we worked together. Yes or no?"

Once more, I stare at the man in his sunglasses. As I look at him, I nod my head.

"Yes."

With my finger to my earpiece, I call Sinestro and order him and the other yellow lanterns to hold position and await further order. As soon as I end the call, the man grabs Adam and pushes him toward us.

"Call Cyborg and Hawkgirl," the man says, "Oh, and tell them to bring some betas along. I sense things won't be as simple as they were before."

"Simple," I repeat. "What are you talking about?"

"If you believe in god, then pray I'm wrong. Everyone, get ready. I'm plotting a course for Apokolips. We leave in ten minutes."

The man then leaves. As he walks past his crew, they all stay where they are, still eyeing us with their weapons drawn.

"Diana," I say, "Adam. Get Cyborg, Hawkgirl, and all the betas we have."

"Understood," Diana says before both she and Adam fly away.

"Don't worry Kara," I think, walking and standing a corner. "I'm coming."

Darkseid:

"Easy," Kalibak says, stepping back as he waves his hands. "Easy. Easy, you fools!"

Looking down, Kalibak grabs a rock and throws it at one of the parademons. My demon yells and falls as the stone hits it.

I watch from my throne as Kalibak orders the reminding parademons to lower the Green Lantern's prize battery. They place it right next to the pink lantern's battery, the orange lantern's battery, and finally, the red lantern's battery.

"Your collection is growing quite well, Master," DeSaad says as he appears beside me. "You have one more battery now. According to my calculation, there should only be two left; fear and compassion."

"They won't stay a chance," I say, smiling as I turn to face DeSaad. "Especially considering my newest asset. Had she been trained yet?"

"Yes, she had," Granny answers as she walks in. "She's under your control now."

Walking in from behind Granny is the female kryptonian. She is no longer dressed in red and blue. Now she is wearing a black suit and is equipped with one of DeSaad's inventions, the thing glowing as it rests on her head.

"And with her DNA that she so willingly gives us," DeSaad says, "Our parademons will grow stronger than ever before. No one will be able to stand against you. You are truly invincible now, Master."

"Excellent," I say.