Chapter 37: Return Favor

Captain Cold:

A parademon landing on the ship, I aim my cold gun at it but before I can shoot, it charges and hits my gun out of the way. This time, punching me square in the chest, I can feel the breath as it flies out of my lungs.

Stumbling, the parademon raises its arms and is about to slam them down on me. However, as it brings its arm down, fire shoots out and forces the monster back.

Looking behind me, I see Firestorm stepping forward while shooting flames from their hands.

"Come on," Blue Beetle says, dropping to the ground and helping me up. Another parademon charging toward us, Beetle fires a blast from his arm cannon. Hitting and knocking the parademon away, he drags me away.

"Come on," bug boy says, "Este es un mal lugar para bajar."

"English kid," I yell, "English!"

"This is a bad place to go down," Beetles translates.

"Believe me," I say, pushing myself up. "It's not by choice."

Back on my feet, I aim my cold gun and fire. Hitting and freezing an entire line-up of demons, the ones behind didn't care. They shatter all of the frozen demons before charging ahead. I stop shooting and switch the dial.

"Everyone," I yell, looking at Firestorm, Catwoman, and Oliver as they stop to look at me. "Get down!"

Raising and aiming my cold gun, white fog falling from the barrel, the three realize what is about to happen and jump down. Firing, I unleash an ice bomb that freezes almost every one of these darn demons.

The second they're frozen, everyone makes quick work and takes them down.

"Shoot," I say, looking at my cold gun as the blue light on it dies down.

"Que," Beetle says. "Que sucdeio?"

I look at Beetle.

"What happened," he translates.

"My cold gun is out of power," I say, "It's dead. And so are we."

Somehow, as if one cue, the second we clear the deck of all the frozen demons, another swarm of these bastards land on the ship and charge toward us. One heading right for me, I cross my arms.

"I got you," Beetle yells, stepping forward. Shooting out his arm, it changes into a sword, and Beetle slices the demon in half.

Superman:

Shooting my ring, I trap a few dozen parademons in a giant yellow bubble. The parademons clawing at the bubble, I swing with all my might and throw them into a bunch more parademons. They crash against each other, all of them stunned now. As they try to clear their heads, my beta fliers and I focus fire on them.

We turn every one of them into dust.

"What," I say, turning around when I hear something strange. It sounds like a mirror is cracking. Looking past the mess of parademons, I see the flying pirate ship being attacked by parademons. They somehow land right on the ship and are attacking the Insurgency.

"What happened? How are the parademons getting through? I thought I saw a shield on the ship earlier."

All my questions are answered when I hear another strange sound. Looking up, I see a pair of laser beams coming at me. Unlike mine, they move in a crooked pattern.

"Omega beams," I say, recognizing the attack right away. Moving fast, I raise my ring and summon a shield. The omega beams hit the shield, I concrete as much as I can and try to keep it up. Finally, they stop.