Chapter 44: Stronger Will

Hal Jordan:

No matter what I do, no matter how hard I concreate, I couldn't do it. I couldn't bring back my suit or my mask. I couldn't get my ring to glow.

"What did you do," I yell, looking at The Man. "What did you do?"

"I didn't do anything," The Man answers. "As I said, your will isn't there. Well, it is there but it's not as strong as it once was."

"I don't believe you," I say. "You must have done something. Tell me what is it. Tell me!"

The Man shakes his head.

"Believe me or not but I rarely tell lies. Mark Twain once said, tell the truth so you don't have to remember the lies. It's too much trouble to tell lies."

I look at my dark-green ring once more. I pull my hand back and shoot it forward. Barely a spark shoots out.

"Come on," I say, "Come on. Work! Work!"

Over and over, I pull my hand back and shoot it forward but nothing happens.

"Your will isn't-," The Man interrupts but I stop him.

"Shut the hell up," I say, running toward him.

The Man:

Watching as Hal runs toward me, he pulls back his hand for the 18th time and shoots it forward. I grab his hand and push it to the side while hitting Hal with the bend of my elbow. He stumbles back while holding his nose.

"You don't believe me," I say, stepping forward. "You think I'm doing something to mess with your ring? Fine. I'll prove it to you. In my own test of will."

"Oh god," Flash says, his head rolling back.

"Yeah," I say, nodding my head. "Also, my test of will is going to be rigged as heck. See, heck."

Bringing up the red ring, I focus and summon a length of rope. It wrapped around both my and Hal's wrists, binding us.

"What are you doing," Hal asks, looking at the red rope. He grabs and tries to break it but there's really no point.

"This is a ritual from ancient times," I say, spreading out my arm. As I hold out my hand, a bright-red sword forms in it. "It is a dual of courage and honesty, of skill and power. It is here where we see what our heart holds. This is a bound dual."

I pull my hand back and Hal stumbles forward.

"Considering your lack of weaponry," I say, eyeing Hal's empty hand. "Let me even the odd."

Shooting out a red beam, it hits Hal's hand and there in his hand is a similar red sword.

"Show me your will," I say, holding the sword in front of me. "Show me the willpower that allows you to wield a green lantern ring."

Hal staring me down rises the sword above his head before charging forward and screaming.

Ganthet:

"Mogo had just spoken to me," Ranakar says, opening his eyes. His hand falls from his head as he looks at all of us. "They have all escaped from Oa."

"Arisia and Laria too," I ask.

"Yes. According to the account of Kilowog, Tomar-Re, Lobo, and Guy Garnder, the two flee with that insufferable Earthling and that Super. They are no longer our problem. At least, for now, that is the case."

"Excellent," Appa Ali Apsa says, "However, there is still the matter of the Green Lantern Corp's battery. Without the battery at full power, Oa's planetary shield is down, and we cannot leave the whole matter of defense solely to Mogo."