Chapter 28: Clash of the Green Lanterns

Ganthet:

Smiling when I see Laria helps the man with the glasses, my smile disappears when I see Ranakar. His eyes are red and his teeth are grinding against each other.

"This is absurd," Ranakar states, slamming his fists through the air. "This is supposed to be a solo testing. No one is supposed to help that man."

"You're right, Ranakar," I say, "But there's nothing we can do except watch. Besides, I'm curious to see how the man works with the other green lanterns."

I then turn to look at the fight.

The Man:

Jumping onto his motorcycle, Lobo kicks up the leg and rides into the air. Riding at high speed, he turns around and charges toward Laria and me.

"Watch out," I yell, Laria turning back and seeing a charging Lobo. While she jumps and flies out of the way, I charge toward Lobo. Pulling back my arm, I then shoot it forward. A green blast shoots out, it turns into a ramp right in front of Lobo.

"What the frag," Lobo yells as he flies onto the ramp before flying directly into space.

"Watch out above," I say, waving at Lobo as he disappears from sight.

Laria:

"Smart thinking," I think, watching as the man shoots out a ramp and uses it to send Lobo flying away. Watching Lobo fade into a dot, I look back down and see Garnder flying toward the man.

Shaking my head, I toss my weapon and watch as it wraps around Garnder's arm. Pulling him away from the man, I spin before tossing him away.

"Laria," Garnder says, wiping his mouth. "You traitor."

"Call me what you want," I say, swinging my weapon in a circle, "But I trust that man."

Garnder pulling back his hands summons two swords and charges me. Flying back, I swing my weapon but Garnder raises one of the swords and my weapon wraps around it. Pulling his sword back, he then uses his other sword to slice through my rope.

The whole weapon disappears and with nothing left to defend myself, Garnder rushes toward me.

The Man:

Seeing an armed Garnder flying toward an armless Laria, I think fast and shoot a blast. The blast turns into a large, anti-aircraft machine gun, equipped with a shield and dual barrels. Jumping in, I will myself a pair of goggles.

"Anata no sanpatsu wa orokadesu," I yell in Japanese as I push down on the buttons and unleash a hailstorm of bullets.

Hitting Garnder before he can hit Laria, I sent him flying out of the arena. Taking my thumb off the buttons, I look at Laria. She looks back at me and smiles.

"Doitashimashite," I reply, bowing my head.

Supergirl:

"Did anyone understand a word The Man just said," Harleen asks. "I thought the ring could translate."

"They can," Arisia replies, "You didn't understand him."

"Yeah, I have a Ph.D. in psychology," Harleen answers, "Not linguistics."

"What's a Ph.D.," Arisia asks.

"It's a stupid piece of paper people spend thousands of dollars getting," Leonard answers. "Listen, we can play guess what Sunglasses said later. Right now, shouldn't we do something? I mean, at this point, I don't think this is a practice test anymore. It feels more like a gladiator match."

"You're right," I say, preparing to fly. "I don't like where this is heading. I think we need to help The Man."

"And Laria," Oliver adds.

"Uhh," I say, clearing my throat. "Sure. Come on."

Once more, I'm about to fly into the air to help The Man but Arisia stops me.

"No," she cries, a green beam wrapping my wrist. "I know this looks bad, but I also know the Guardians wouldn't turn this into a gladiator match. Just, please calm down."

Looking at Arisia, and then at The Man, I let out a sigh before falling down.

"I hope you're right about this."

The Man:

I hear the roar of a motorcycle engine once more and look up. Lobo, who is in the center of a flaming meteorite, is hauling toward me. Getting up and jumping out of the way, I watch as Lobo destroys my machine gun, parts of it flying all over before they disappear.

The meteorite also disappears, Lobo looks at me as he gets off his motorcycle. His grin is gone and his eyes are looking a little redder than before.

"You bastich," Lobo yells, pointing at me. "I can't believe you did that."

"You douchebag," I shout, pointing back at Lobo.

"Douchebag," Lobo repeats.

"Yeah. I don't swear. It can make trash-talking kind of hard."

Lobo shrugs with shoulders before calling forth another shotgun and this time, a long chain.

While firing off rounds, Lobo swings the chain above his head. Shooting out my hand, I call forth a staff and use it to catch Lobo's chain. The chain wrapping around my staff, I pull it. Lobo seeing this blasts the chain before summoning a new one.

Swinging the chain, I jump out of the way as the chain hits the floor, leaving behind a long streak. Rolling and landing on my feet, I add a pointed tip to my staff and throw it at Lobo.

Lobo shoots the spear, it bursts into dust that blinds Lobo. Screaming as he steps back, I run toward him.

Shaking the dust off in time, Lobo sees me as I'm running and summon a crowbar in his hand. Swinging it down, I block it with a green sword.

Laria:

While I watch the fight between Lobo and the man with the glasses, I stop when I hear someone screaming. Turning around, I see Garnder as he flies back toward us.

As he flies, he brings his arms and legs together. Now, oval-shaped, Garnder beings to glow brightly.

I watch before my very eyes as the glow around Garnder shoots out and hits me. It knocks me out of the sky.

The Man:

Swinging our weapons, they clash, the sound of metal echoing throughout the entire arena. Stepping forward, my blade runs alongside Lobo's crowbar until it hits the hook.

Once caught in the hook, I move my foot and stomp it behind Lobo. With a quick but powerful shoulder charge, Lobo trips over my leg and I pull the crowbar right out of Lobo's hand. With Lobo on the floor, I hold my sword over him.

"You lose," I say before the platform shakes. Stumbling a bit, I turn to see a giant, glowing, green man.

The giant, looking to be roughly 100 feet, is holding Laria in his hand. She is struggling to break free, but giant's grip is proving to be too strong. As I run toward the giant, I stop to get a better look.

Directly in the giant's chest, moving his arms and legs is Guy Garnder. Looking down at me, Garnder stomps his way toward me, the whole arena shaking as he moves.

With the sword still in my hand, I charge toward Garnder but stop when a chain wraps around my arm and pulls me back. Looking behind me, I see Lobo already back on his feet, and a chain already in his hands.

"You're going to hate this," Lobo laughs as Garnder raises his giant green foot high above my head.