Chapter 67: Altogether

The Man:

I jump off my hoverboard just as Parallax fires yet another yellow blast. My hoverboard breaks into thousands of green pieces before disappearing completely. While falling through mid-air, I shoot out my red ring and summon a racecar and track. Landing into the driver's seat, I strap myself in and put on my helmet and racing goggles.

"Let's see how fast my anger can go."

I put the car into drive, stomp on the gas, and activate the rocket booster in the back. Going from 0 to 100 miles in less than a second, I drive around Parallax.

Seeing a bit of red in his yellow eyes, the red only grows when I push a few buttons on the control board and automatically machine guns come out from the sides, shooting Parallax.

Parallax screams and turns away as I shoot at him. He tries to hit me with a yellow blast but by the time he fired, I'm already gone.

Skidding as I race across my red racetrack, I focus my anger and summon a ramp. Driving right off the ramp, I hit the ejection button and launch out. My racecar crashes directly into Parallax, the explosion almost as loud as Parallax's roar as part of him catches fire.

Flipping through the air, I swing my hand and shoot out a wave of red energy. The red energy turns into a fighter jet this time, and even before Parallax could say anything, I'm back to shooting him.

I can feel the quick vibration of my controls as I steer the jet and aim at Parallax. Turning left and right, going up and down, I manage to avoid most of Parallax's attacks.

Upgrading, going from machine guns to rockets, I fire dozens and engulf his whole head in bright-red flames. Parallax shakes and turns as part of him burns up. He's grinding his teeth against each other as he tries to pinpoint me.

"Behind you," I shout. I prepare to fire another barrage of rockets but before I could push the button, lines of dark clouds shoot out and hit my wings. "Fudge!"

The lines rip and tear through not only my wings but the whole jet. They reach the cockpit before I could hit eject and capture me. He first destroys my red jet before bringing me face-to-face with him. His eyes meeting mine, I look right back at him.

"No need to be courageous," he says. "Let the fear consume you."

Parallax opens his mouth and fire but it's not like before. A single beam of yellow comes out and hits me. It fills me with yellow energy.

"I've seen this before. Parallax is trying to fill me with fear so he can absorb it and grow stronger."

I watch as lines of yellow energy crawl throughout. They continue to climb higher and higher until they reach the black lines still all over me.

"Big mistake," I say, watching as the black and yellow lines crash. Immediately, all the yellow lines turn blacker than night. They overrun in less than seconds and travel all the way back to Parallax himself. Now, he and I are filled with something other than fear.

Parallax opens his mouth wide as he screams. His screams echo throughout all of Oa as he tips his head all over.

"What," he moans as parts of him go from yellow to black. "What did you do? What is this power? It is not fear! It is not willpower! It feels like anger, but no! This anger, this pure anger, is unlike anything I have ever felt!"

Parallax still throwing up, he doesn't see Kara as she flies up and fires a blue beam. Cutting me free with the blue beam, I summon a red hoverboard and land on it.

"Kara," I say, watching as Kara, somehow with a blue ring, flies up to me. "How did you get Saint Walker's blue ring again?"

"You of all people should not be asking that," Kara replies. She turns around and looks at Parallax. "What happened to Parallax? What did you do this him?"

"Believe me when I say this. He did that to himself."

Parallax now glowing black and yellow looks at us with more red in his eyes.

"You will pay for that," Parallax yells as he unleashes a whole new storm of clouds. The clouds all charge toward Kara and me. As they get closer and closer, we shoot out our hands and make a red and blue wall. Parallax's cloud couldn't get through the wall.

"Fly to his right," I say, "I'll fly to his left. When I give the signal, we fly toward each other. Got it?"

"Got it," Kara answers.

Pushing back the clouds, Kara and I fly our separate ways. As I thought, Parallax follows me, leaving Kara completely alone. He follows me, shooting me and trying to catch me again. One cloud about to catch me, I jump off my hoverboard and summon a pair of red swords. Slicing the cloud while in mid-air, I land back on my hoverboard and fly away.

Not stopping until I'm in position, I look Parallax in his eyes once more.

"Parallax," I shout, spreading out my arms. "Many years ago, you and I met."

Parallax looks at a crooked eyebrow.

"What," he asks. "What are you talking about?"

"It was shortly after you kill Abin Sur."

"Abin Sur," Parallax repeats.

"This is for him! Kara now!"

I raise my red ring before lowering it. There, directly in front of me, I summon a propeller. The propeller spinning and turning into a blur, I charge right into Parallax. With the propeller in front of me, I cut through Parallax.

Supergirl:

Using both Walker's ring and my own laser vision, I cut my way through Parallax. As I cut my way through him, I hear what sounds like a propeller.

"Hey Kara," The Man says as he and a red propeller pass me.

I smile as he passes me. Together, we cut our way through Parallax.

"Again," I hear The Man shouts. I don't waste a second and dive back into Parallax. We repeat this over and over again until The Man tells me to stop. The Man and I regroup in front of a now smaller Parallax, with pieces of him quickly fading away. However, despite Parallax's new form, he still fighting. He gathers power in his mouth before shooting it.

"Altogether," The Man shouts. The Man then grabs my hand. Our fingers interlock. At first, I couldn't believe it but I nod my head. We look at each other before raising our hands and shooting them. Blue and red energy spiral together into one beam that destroys Parallax's yellow beam. The red and blue pushes through the yellow and hits Parallax. As it hits Parallax, Parallax himself starts to twist and turn.

"Nnooo," he cries as the yellow and black in him is replaced with blue and red. It pours throughout him before pouring out. He struggles to fight it, but Parallax's head starts to shrink deeper and deeper into the blue and red clouds until it's gone.

The storm cloud then explodes with traces of yellow energy spreading out.

"Is he," I start, turning to look at The Man.

"Yeah," The Man answers. "He's gone. Parallax is defeated."

The Man looks at me and smiles. I smile back at him but only for a short time.

"Wait, what about the others? And the battery?"

"And Ganthet," The Man says, his smile disappearing as well.

As soon as he said Ganthet, we hear something and look up.

"What's going on?"

For some reason, it looks like Mogo is powering up for a shot but he's not shooting. I look to the side and see a yellow dot heading for Mogo.

"Superman," The Man shouts, "And Ganthet!"

"What?"

"Superman had Ganthet by the throat. He's using Ganthet as a shield. That's why Mogo won't shoot. He doesn't want to hurt Ganthet."

"No way," I say.

I look up and see the yellow dot edge closer toward Mogo until finally, Superman crashes right into him.