Chapter 33: The Biggest Green Lantern

The Man:

"Mogo," I say, staring at the biggest green lantern as he and his planet-sized shadow looms over Oa.

"Who," Kara asks, looking at Mogo as he keeps growing. Stepping back, we all look at the giant green lantern symbol on the giant green and blue planet with a green ring.

"Mogo," I say again, the entire surface of Oa now in Mogo's shadow. "The Living Planet."

"He's a living planet," Kara repeats, looking at me and then back at Mogo. "An actually living planet?"

"A living planet with a green lantern ring," I say.

"That's a big green lantern," Cold says, he and everyone else looking at Mogo.

"No kidding," Laria says, crossing her arms.

"What is Mogo doing here," I ask, looking at Arisia and Laria. "If I remember correctly, Mogo lived lightyears from Oa. In fact, he lived in the same sector as Atrocitus."

"If I remember correctly," Laria starts, "The Guardians of Oa called him when after the first week of yellow lanterns attacks. He must have just gotten here."

"Hmm," I think, crossing my arms. "Mogo and Atrocitus traveling all the way here from Frontier Space, arriving at almost the same time. I'm surprised they didn't run into each other and have a fight in the middle of space."

"Hey Man in Sunglasses," Cheetah says, backing away. "Uhh, should we be concerned? You know, about the giant green lantern and the fact that the green lanterns hate us."

"We don't hate you," Arisia corrects.

"Yeah, you and Laria don't," I whisper, turning my head and clearing my throat. Turning back, I look up at Mogo. Walking up, I make my way through the crowd until I'm up in front.

Mogo isn't moving anymore. He stops growing and seems to be staying still. He's not talking, and as far as I can tell, he's not using his ring for anything. It's like Mogo is waiting for something.

"Stay here for now," I say, turning to face everyone. "I'm going."

"Where are you going," Flash asks.

"I'm going to rescue Atrocitus," I answer.

"I'm sorry," Arisia says, grabbing my shoulder. "What?"

"You're doing what," Hal says, stepping in front of me and spreading out his arms. "You can't be serious? Atrocitus. He's a red lantern."

"He was also captured by the green lanterns," I reply, "And given how kind they've been to us, I'm a little more than curious to how they're treating Atrocitus."

"Most likely the Guardians will be Atrocitus in a cell," Arisia says, "Nothing more."

"Maybe but I rather see for myself."

I take a step but this time, it's Oliver who stops me. Holding his bow out in front of me, I look toward him.

"The Guardians are already wary of us," Oliver starts, pulling back his bow. "And you're the one who said we need them to level the battlefield. I don't think they would take too kindly to you trespassing and spying on them. Can you, I don't think, just hold back a little?"

About to say no, I stop myself.

"Fine," I say, nodding my head. "I understand."

"Also," Jason says, pointing at Mogo. "They have what I can only imagine is the biggest green lantern in the universe, so it would possibly be best not to do anything to piss them off."

"I agree," Professor Stein adds. "Let's all just sit back for a second, don't do anything rash, just see what happened."

"What," I say, "Are you afraid of Mogo?"

"Are we afraid of a sentient planet with a green lantern ring," Reverse-Flash asks, "Yes. Very much so."

Turning to leave, Reverse-Flash disappears down the stairs and into the Rusted. While everyone follows after him one by one, I stay behind. Walking up to the railing, I cross my arms and look over the empty ground.

As I see the last heads disappear, I reach into my pocket and pull out two B.U.G. Linking the B.U.G with my phone, I tap the big red activate button on the screen and watch as they begin to fall off my hand. Hovering for a bit, they then fly off.

"What were those," someone asks from behind me.

Atrocitus:

The chains tighten as Kilowog closes his hand, I feel the breath force from my body. With the last of my breath squeezes out, I fall over and gasp.

"Tell us why you're here," Kilowog says, flying over to me. Now, standing over me, he grabs and pulls me up. "Why are you here?"

"I told you," I say. "I'm here to ask for help."

"Lair," Kilowog yells, closing his hand and squeezing me. "Even if that is true, why would we help you?"

"Because you're green lanterns," I say, "You're supposed to help others."

"Not red lanterns," another green lantern. This green lantern is tall and thin, with four arms.

"Exactly Sallak," Kilowog says. "We Green Lanterns help everyone except yellow and red lanterns."

"There are no red lanterns," I say, "There is only a red lantern. Me."

"You expected any of us to believe you," Kilowog yells, "Save your breath."

"Kilowog," one of the Guardians says, "Stop."

He attempts to fly toward Kilowog but another Guardian stops them.

"Ganthet," the Guardian yells, "He's a red lantern. A sworn enemy of the Green Lantern. While our rings are fueled by will, their rings are fueled by hatred and anger."

"I know Appa Ali Apsa," Ganthet says, "But whether a yellow or red lanterns, they don't deserve this."

Ganthet then points at me.

"We are the Green Lanterns Corps. We are supposed to be a symbol of hope and justice throughout the universe. This is not hope or justice. It is injustice!"

Without any words, Ganthet raises his hands and blasts me with something. Falling back, it almost destroys the chains around me.

"Ganthet," a third Guardian yells.

"Ranakar," Ganthet yells, "Discuss matters with me later. For now, you two. Take Atrocitus and place him in one of our holding cells. We will figure out what to do with him later."

Two green lanterns pick me up, they carry me out of the room. Flying for a bit, they throw me into a small round cell before closing the door. Before closing the door, however, they take my ring, and my lantern armor disappears.

Ganthet:

Watching as the two green lanterns carry Atrocitus out of the meeting chamber, I then spin around to face the other Guardians. Now it's my time in the light.

"Ganthet," Ranakar says, his voice echoing throughout the room and silencing everyone. "You are being incredibly unreasonable. What is the matter with you?"

"I'm being unreasonable," I repeat, "Ranakar, what you are doing is unreasonable. Forcing one Earthling against two of our strongest green lanterns, and then crushing a red lantern who did nothing."

"Did nothing," Ranakar repeats. "He is with Superman and his One Earth Government. So are that girl and that Earthling with the glasses. They have been attacking us non-stop. We are at our limit. Our green lanterns are at their limit. They are exhausted and are running on no energy."

We all stop when we hear Mogo speak.

"Guardians of Oa," Mogo starts, his voice echoing throughout and sounding like thunder. "I see yellow lanterns quickly approaching. I will hold them off."

"Thank you very much, Mogo," I say.